Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 10:06 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

Ok here is our brand new "sticky". We are going to have an Off Topic Chat Room. This will be a place to go to just shoot the breeze. Exchange a recipe, or discuss the weather, how you hate your boss..lol, etc..

I do not want this thread to be a political one, as we all know people and politics can get pretty nasty, and we have a forum for politics already. I dont want name calling or nasty comments. Please respect each other. This is a place for us to go and just chat and share something about your day. Lets have fun with this people. I will give infractions or delete comments if I have to. But with all the great people on here, I know I wont have to do that. Ok now with all that said.........I'll start this thread off with my tales of what I did this past Sunday

My birthday was on Sat, so my family surprised me with a train trip down to San Diego to see The Whaley house. The train ride was fun, the scenery was beautiful, it was rainy though. What the heck was up with that. Well anyway, the ride was 3 hours long. When we got there, The Whaley house was literally a 3 minute walk from the train station. On our walk we passed by more Mexican Resturants on one street, I was surprised!! There was like 4 in a row. So with our luck we picked the worst one. The food was so disgusting!! So on to The Whaley House. It was a cool looking house. I love going through old homes. According to The Travel Channel, it is one of the most haunted homes in the country. I didnt see or feel anything. The only thing scarey was the resturant we went to. It was fun to see it in the flesh, even though we didnt see a ghosty. So on to the next haunted house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 05:05 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,174,827 times
Hi Suzet - Sounds like you had an interesting trip! <g> Are you anywhere near the Winchester House (I'm not sure if that's the actual name of it)? I used to have weird dreams about different houses and their structures and one morning I was telling hubby about one and he looked at me with a really freaky look on his face and told me I had just described the Winchester House. I'd never been there, never even heard about it. It was on one of the channels a few weeks later when they were doing a show on haunted houses and son of a gun, it WAS the house I had dreamed about - talk about a freaky experience!

So...are you still "on-target" for your travels to NH in March?

We have a friend from NYS coming to visit us for the weekend. We've had quite a bit of snow the last couple of days, so we should have lots of things to show him. We'll be taking him to the various stores on our Main Street, of course and Friday night to a 'bluegrass jam'....at least hubby will be taking him there, not sure if I'll go or not. I have to be in the right mood for bluegrass music, if I'm not in that kind of mood, it just grates on my nerves

Old 02-07-2008, 06:45 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,450,823 times
Dare-how strange about your dream!

Suzet-you must already know about the plethora of 'haunted' places in New England, right? There are lots in NH. Here's a site you might find interesting: Real ghosts - Hollow Hill the gilson rd cemetary and the blood cemetary are not far from me, but i've been too chicken to check them out in person. Of interest is also the story of the 'blue lady' of the Wilton cemetary...i won't consider going there. And of course, there are restaurants like the Country Tavern in Nashua (i've been there a lot and love the feel of the place but never felt anything odd) and plenty more who claim they have resident ghosts ($$$?).

The NH version of this book is interesting: Haunted Massachusetts and Haunted New Hampshire by Thomas D'Agostino - Author Interview

And this site has lots of NH discussion including a thread w/pics about visits to haunted places: Area603 (http://area603.ning.com/ - broken link) you may have to dig through archives to find it.

There's some interesting reading for you

And since we have this off topic room....what can you say about living in Iceland? I've always thought it would suit me well, cold clean air, etc. Did you like it/hate it?

Now, who has that french pork pie recipe?

Old 02-07-2008, 06:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Suzett - You took a trip in California and you didn't drive. I thought that was forbidden or nearly impossible. Perhaps there is hope yet.

Mexican restaurants are just like any other. Some are great, some disgusting and you cannot tell by the menu. Try one of the others if you ever go back.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:41 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times
Haha, yes Greg I actually walk to a lot of places too. If I can walk, then why not? I hate when people need to drive right down the street to get some milk. Why not take advantage of the weather we have here and just walk. I love riding my bike too. My girls and I like to ride all over. There is some hope in Cali, there are a few like my family.

Hmm, Iceland. Well, for me personally I really enjoyed it. We watched fireworks in the daylight..lol. That was interesting. The Icelandic people were so fascinated(sp?) with us Americans. They had some of the best chocolate I have ever had, but they all wanted a snickers bar from America. I remember going to the movie house and watching The Exorcist with Icelandic subtitles, it took away the spookiness of the movie. The people were great. We lived in Keflavik off the military base. The town was crazy colored. They have a very high suicide rate, as the weather I guess can be depressing, lots of alcoholics, but to brighten up the town, the homes are all painted different colors. One wall purple, one orange, one red, one yellow, etc....it looks like a big crayon box. Well now they arent sad anymore, they just drink....The scenery was gorgeous. There was a volcano you could see from our home. Taking a shower was fun, because they use geothermal heat, the hot water smelt like a rotten egg. So your shower smelled awful. I have lots of great memories about living there. One day, I would love to go back and take my daughters so they can see where I used to live.

Hi Dare, yes I have been to the Winchester House. That was a cool place to see. We all got more of a spooky feeling walking through that home than we did in The Whaley House. Its weird to walk through the kitchen, there is a huge stained glass window right in the middle of floor, and the crazy staircases, I forgot how many rooms there are, and there are alot, I think there is only one bathroom in the whole house, maybe 2, but I am leaning twards only one. The grounds are really pretty.

We have been to the Queen Mary numerous times. We have had a few incounters on the ship. We usually stay the night on the ship. Its fun to walk around at night time, I guess it adds to the spookiness.

Thank you for the links Lisa. I love reading all about ghost stories. That is one of the things I am looking forward to, is going to haunted places back east, and there are soo many. I really want to go to Ghettsyburg.

As far as our plans, sigh, I cant tell you for sure anymore. My husband has taken it upon himself to open up another corperation, as if he isnt busy enough, I swear I am a work widow!! Now these projects are going to keep us busy for awhile. I dont see a trip in the upcoming future. I am not even going to say we will be out there by summer, cuz I cant. Everything is up in the air. Sometimes I feel that I am cursed to be in So Cali for the rest of my life. So needless to say, I am not real happy about this.

I hope everyone enjoys this "room", and gets some use out of it.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:55 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,174,827 times
Hey Suzet - Just tell your husband he needs to start a corporation in NH, not CA!

Iceland sounds...different - I like your description of the house - like boxes of crayons! Do you have any pictures of your time there?

The smell in the shower reminded me of the first time I want to the Saratoga Racetrack in NYS - the water fountain smelled like that - I just couldn't drink from it, the smell was so bad...but it's supposed to have "restorative effects" on the system...guess I should have just held my nose..........

Old 02-07-2008, 01:17 PM

2,392 posts, read 2,539,775 times
Smile Thanks for the Chat thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
Now, who has that french pork pie recipe?
...the same person that has that Whoopie Pie recipe?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Hi Dare, yes I have been to the Winchester House. That was a cool place to see. We all got more of a spooky feeling walking through that home than we did in The Whaley House. Its weird to walk through the kitchen, there is a huge stained glass window right in the middle of floor, and the crazy staircases, I forgot how many rooms there are, and there are alot, I think there is only one bathroom in the whole house, maybe 2, but I am leaning twards only one. The grounds are really pretty.
I've also been to the Winchester House. It is a creepy feeling there. Stairways to nothing...rooms upon rooms...stain glass windows that will never have the sun shine through. I agree the grounds & garden are beautiful. It's further North in San Jose. The house is pretty from the outside too. Winchester Mystery House Home Page

Hope everyone is having a good day!

Old 02-07-2008, 01:34 PM

2,392 posts, read 2,539,775 times
Quote:
My birthday was on Sat, so my family surprised me with a train trip down to San Diego to see The Whaley house. The train ride was fun, the scenery was beautiful, it was rainy though. What the heck was up with that. Well anyway, the ride was 3 hours long. When we got there, The Whaley house was literally a 3 minute walk from the train station. On our walk we passed by more Mexican Resturants on one street, I was surprised!! There was like 4 in a row. So with our luck we picked the worst one. The food was so disgusting!! So on to The Whaley House. It was a cool looking house. I love going through old homes. According to The Travel Channel, it is one of the most haunted homes in the country. I didnt see or feel anything. The only thing scarey was the resturant we went to. It was fun to see it in the flesh, even though we didnt see a ghosty. So on to the next haunted house!
Glad to hear the train ride was good...sorry the Mexican food wasn't good & the Haunted House wasn't very haunted. There's an interesting story about the Hotel Del Coronado...they have a ghost, Kate Morgan, a guest that committed suicide in 1892. I've heard many versions of the story...guess that's what happens when it's over a hundred years ago. San Diego is a fun town to visit, for California it has a little bit of history to it.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I love riding my bike too. My girls and I like to ride all over. There is some hope in Cali, there are a few like my family.
Good for you! Do you use the paseos there? I love them! My favorite paseo is off Heritage Park on McBean.

And I get it about the suicides and use of color & alcohol. There are more of all 3 here in NH than in SoCal, but probably not nearly as much as Iceland.

Sorry you're tied up there awhile longer, Suzet. You never know why these things happen though, I think there's a reason for everything.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggaBoo2 View Post
...the same person that has that Whoopie Pie recipe?!
Hmmm....was that Valerie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire