Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 05:53 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times

Advertisements

I wish they had picked Vermont. It would take less people here to change things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 06:44 AM

500 posts, read 636,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I wish they had picked Vermont. It would take less people here to change things.
After seeing your congress and governor screw over Vermonters last week, while NH congress expanded gun rights last week, I think NH was the better pick.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:45 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
Did you even look at the breakdown of town's that voted blue/red?
First, all of the cities with major population went Democrat (which is to be expected): Manchester, Nashua, Portsmouth, Concord. Then the college towns, and towns commutable to classes (for students abd professors): Dover, Durham, Newmarket Lee, Madbury, Keene,

These SNH towns (south of, or straddling rte 101 from the seacoast to the Amherst/Milford area) voted Republican:
Derry, Salem, Londonderry, Merrimack, Bedford. Also, Goffstown, Milford, Hudson, Hooksett. Pelham and Windham both went red, as did Hampton, Raymond and Litchfield. Plaistow and Atkinson too! Wow, Epping, Kingston, Sandown and Auburn. Chester, Deerfield, Newton and Fremont. Add Brentwood, Danville and Candia to the RED column.

It would have been easier to name the SNH towns in the same area that went Democrat: Hampton, Exeter, Amherst and Hollis.

Southern NH is NOT the issue here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
It just seems to me that southern NH is already ruined by the influx of MA residents hoping for less expensive real estate but still wanting their MA town amenities like curbside trash pickup and MA quality schools.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:31 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
Wink Taxes were part of it, but the state motto tipped the balance

I like the sentiment, but honestly I moved to NH despite the FSP participants, not because of them. The FK guys in particular I find distasteful at best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviDunn View Post
After seeing your congress and governor screw over Vermonters last week, while NH congress expanded gun rights last week, I think NH was the better pick.
The semi-finalist states were Alaska, Delaware, Idaho, Maine, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont and Wyoming. Participants wanted both limited population density and access to tech jobs, so that took quite a few states out of the running.

Ultimately New Hampshire (1.3 million) edged out Vermont ( 0.6 million) in part because NH's 417-person legislature makes it a lot easier to get elected here, but NH was selected mostly because of the small government, anti-tax attitudes.

And because we never elected Bernie Sanders.

Old 04-18-2018, 05:32 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
NH towns may have voted red, but how is that going to greatly reduce entitlements that keep our property taxes so high? How do we slash the town budgets significantly? Every time I've asked a longtime NH if there is a possibility of being able to vote for a town budget that is LESS than the previous year, they said that it will never happen. That the best we can hope for is to keep it to the same amount. And the parents in the town are always demanding more school services, like full time kindergarten.

And how to cut taxes when the cost of healthcare insurance for our government workers.school staff is so expensive?

And what to do about the cost of Narcan while we are in the middle of the opiod crisis?

What about the looming pension payout crisis?

Old 04-18-2018, 07:41 PM

623 posts, read 312,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
And because we never elected Bernie Sanders.
Worth noting.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:35 PM

Post Narcan is as cheap is $20/unit in bulk

Quote:
Every time I've asked a longtime NH if there is a possibility of being able to vote for a town budget that is LESS than the previous year, they said that it will never happen. That the best we can hope for is to keep it to the same amount.
Get enough residents active in town politics, and it is possible to reduce the town budget. You do have to start early in the process, at the deliberative session if not before -- by the time the election comes around, the only choices left open are "proposed budget" versus "default budget" (usually "big increase" versus "slightly smaller increase"

Quote:
And what to do about the cost of Narcan while we are in the middle of the opiod crisis?
Narcan's price is a red herring.

The drug is probably the cheapest line item in an ambulance dispatched for an OD, base cost to paramedics and ambulances for Narcan is around $30 per dose. If you buy your own kit at CVS, you will pay $30-$45 per dose (no prescription needed in NH!)

Last edited by Nonesuch; 04-18-2018 at 08:47 PM..

Old 04-20-2018, 06:27 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviDunn View Post
But NH has double the population of VT, meaning it will take twice as many participants getting involved to effect change in NH. If they'd picked VT I suspect what just happened here never would have happened. 20,000 people moving to VT would have been huge politically. Many of the big government legislators who voted for that gun bill literally won by a handful of votes last election and some ran unopposed.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:16 PM

Unhappy Most of the 23,778 Free State pledge signatories will never fulfill their pledge

Quote:
But NH has double the population of VT, meaning it will take twice as many participants getting involved to effect change in NH.
Aside from the other differences (jobs, taxes, etc.), a big reason NH was chosen is that it's easier to get elected in New Hampshire.

Vermont's House comprises 150 members, with each member representing around 4,100 citizens.
New Hampshire's House of Representatives consists of 400 members, each legislator represents about 3,300 residents on average.

Quote:
If they'd picked VT I suspect what just happened here never would have happened. 20,000 people moving to VT would have been huge politically.
FSP claims fewer than 5,000 people have moved, and it's a safe bet that most of the 23,778 signers will not make the move.

Old 04-21-2018, 04:40 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,035 times
I am one of the people who signed up with FSP to move to NH...this was over six years ago and I moved not too long after. I've been here ever since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire