Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 02:18 PM

11 posts, read 8,678 times

Advertisements

Hi, I had another post but it was not specific enough so I hope it is ok I made a new one to ask yet more annoying questions

I appreciate all the input I got on horses there on that other thread and one person asked, I have Gypsy Cobs or as some call them Vanners, yes. I would be only bringing 1 or 2 with me, mostly I'll be bringing, 'if' I move that direction, Welsh ponies and Arabians which I understand are not that popular in the NE (The arabs I mean)
That is ok I mainly own them for my own enjoyment and only a little breeding.

My questions

ONE:
I am interested in possibly starting a business that would be animal related if I move to NH. Are pets a pretty good focus here? Do people like to spend a few bucks on their pets? Or are pets just more seen as 'outdoor animals' etc. I am talking about a store that might offer good dog food (natural/holistic and also other choices), good dog and cat items and even possibly some livestock things like chicken stuff, everyone loves chickens now!

Is this a business idea that would be a flop there do you think? If it is already being done that is ok, free enterprise is good!

TWO:
I have horses and I just want to ask how much hay is there generally? I like to feed alfalfa or can also learn to get used to whatever types of hay are popular there, in CA it is generally Bermuda grass which is not great, and Alfalfa, rye or a 4 way mix of rye/barley/wheat and oat. Also oat hay.
How much is hay there?

THREE:
Vets? Are there good horse vets around and care if you need it, small animal vets too.

FOUR:
Are people friendly to horses? Can I ride my horse around without people treating me like I am doing something wrong? Like if it poops on the road etc as you can't really get off of it and pick that up!!

Any other input on what types of businesses are lacking up there ? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 02:24 PM

639 posts, read 574,043 times
The market in southern NH is swamped with these type of businesses. Horse stuff you'd have to look at certain communities to see if there's a need. It's always been a popular sport? in NH.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:38 PM

They are swamped everywhere Northeaster, but the trick is doing it better But it is good to know they exist and people use them enough to make them keep popping up.

And on horses, those are my hobby, not as much a business but I guess i sell a few occasionally so in that regard it could be but its just my love and passion.

The business will be for my retirement income. I am 50 so lots of years left to work in me yet!

Old 02-10-2016, 02:52 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,713,260 times
FYI....Arabs are pretty popular in NH and New England. Gypsy Vanners are much lesser known. I personally love them!!! I don't have any horses right now but I spend oodles on high quality dog and cat food and various animal stuff.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:03 PM

Stormynh then I hope if I end up there you can come see my Gypsy or plural if I bring 2, still not sure if I am going to keep my spotted one.

I will look forward to seeing you if I open a store too!! Never know. I did not even know NH existed (sorry that is a good thing, you don't want so cal to know you exist they will all move here) but I was googling 'old red barns' as I want one and I found a plethora of them in NH and then I started to study up on the state to see if it was viable and was shocked to find out it sounds GREAT!!!!

Old 02-10-2016, 03:19 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,713,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faiteaccompli View Post
Stormynh then I hope if I end up there you can come see my Gypsy or plural if I bring 2, still not sure if I am going to keep my spotted one.

I will look forward to seeing you if I open a store too!! Never know. I did not even know NH existed (sorry that is a good thing, you don't want so cal to know you exist they will all move here) but I was googling 'old red barns' as I want one and I found a plethora of them in NH and then I started to study up on the state to see if it was viable and was shocked to find out it sounds GREAT!!!!

Oh spotted Gypsys are my favorite! We have had spotted ASB's and Arabs for many years although we have a bay ASB and an adorable little 14 hand spotted right now. Good luck!!!

Old 02-10-2016, 09:41 PM

4,557 posts, read 5,608,592 times
Default Plenty of small farms here, so you shouldn't have any problem finding both "large animal" and the usual pet vets.

While raising chickens is the in thing, it was never "out" in rural New England. Most areas have an "Agway" store nearby, they sell everything a homestead needs, and once a year, baby chicks.

For bigger animals, including horse feed, there's Blue Seal.

Quote:
They are swamped everywhere Northeaster, but the trick is doing it better But it is good to know they exist and people use them enough to make them keep popping up.
That's a good attitude to have. We have all the usual chain pet supply stores, and also a number of small independents, most of which focus on a particular demographic or type of pet.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:55 AM

14,277 posts, read 6,870,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
While raising chickens is the in thing, it was never "out" in rural New England. Most areas have an "Agway" store nearby, they sell everything a homestead needs, and once a year, baby chicks.

For bigger animals, including horse feed, there's Blue Seal.

That's a good attitude to have. We have all the usual chain pet supply stores, and also a number of small independents, most of which focus on a particular demographic or type of pet.
I think it depends on WHERE in NH you are talking about. I am in the Upper Valley on the NH/VT border, near Lebanon NH. There are no chain pet stores but there are 2 very complete locally owned stores, one of which sells animal feed, hay, etc. Their pet foods and treats are pretty expensive though. There is a new Tractor Supply also. Never saw an Agway.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:19 PM

Thanks you guys for the input.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:38 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,594,447 times
Quote:
Do people like to spend a few bucks on their pets? Or are pets just more seen as 'outdoor animals' etc. I am talking about a store that might offer good dog food (natural/holistic and also other choices), good dog and cat items and even possibly some livestock things like chicken stuff, everyone loves chickens now!
Only in wealthy communities such as Portsmouth NH do people buy stuff like that for their dogs. And there are many stores already so competition would be an issue.

And only a handful of people can afford horses in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire