Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 11:55 PM

712 posts, read 1,366,878 times

Advertisements

I am interested in knowing how cheap can a 4 bedroom, 2 bath, 1 story house would cost in Nashua, NH in a good area?

Has much changed in Nashua in the last 10 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 02:33 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,973 times
Still a great town, as most of the areas are fine. If you buy an acre or more, just make sure you do your own perc (percolation) testing, as you want to see if your soil will drain well enough for your Septic System. Also it is good to have your Septic down hill from your well.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:48 AM

885 posts, read 2,661,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
I am interested in knowing how cheap can a 4 bedroom, 2 bath, 1 story house would cost in Nashua, NH in a good area?

Has much changed in Nashua in the last 10 years?
Well, I've only visited Nashua a few times but I think there will be a sparse choice of 1 story, 4 bed homes. It's a typical NE town with fairly small lots and land efficient 2 and 3 story homes. You'll find more ranch/contemporary style homes out of town.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
Still a great town, as most of the areas are fine. If you buy an acre or more, just make sure you do your own perc (percolation) testing, as you want to see if your soil will drain well enough for your Septic System. Also it is good to have your Septic down hill from your well.
Depends on well depth and soil/rock types. My well is at 300ft. I could put a septic practically right on top of it with no fear of contamination getting down there.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:38 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
As noted, a 4-br 1 story home isn't the norm in the Nashua area, but it can be done. Did you want to stay in the city-limits of Nashua, or would you be open to one of the surrounding towns? I hate to toss a number out there without doing a search, but I'm guessing in the 300K-375K range...

Old 01-13-2008, 12:58 PM

Smile Contaminated Well Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcewan View Post
Depends on well depth and soil/rock types. My well is at 300ft. I could put a septic practically right on top of it with no fear of contamination getting down there.
Point well taken rmcewam, however, Coliform Bacteria and mutant bacteriological variations as well as other contaminants like nitrates from your leech field, septic tank and distribution box will most certainly find its way into your well during warmer months of the year if your well casing is situated down or level to your septic system / leech field even if your well has a 300 + well depth.

In the industry some call them Collie Trains, as once a route is carved out by these contaminants you will find each year especially during warmer months your well water may have significant and unacceptable levels of this type of contamination.

Suggest you test your well water no less than every week if you have placed your septic system / leech fields near your well casing. County health departments will usually do the testing for free or a minimum charge.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
Point well taken rmcewam, however, Coliform Bacteria and mutant bacteriological variations as well as other contaminants like nitrates from your leech field, septic tank and distribution box will most certainly find its way into your well during warmer months of the year if your well casing is situated down or level to your septic system / leech field even if your well has a 300 + well depth.

In the industry some call them Collie Trains, as once a route is carved out by these contaminants you will find each year especially during warmer months your well water may have significant and unacceptable levels of this type of contamination.

Suggest you test your well water no less than every week if you have placed your septic system / leech fields near your well casing. County health departments will usually do the testing for free or a minimum charge.
Don't be daft. "Practically right on top" is an exaggeration. The well head is upslope and more than 75ft from our septic. Thing is, if someone built on the land uphill from us (they can't now it got a conservation easement), then their septic would be significantly higher than our well and within 100yrds. I worried about this at first, but now understand the filtering capabilities of a few yards of sand, soil and granite- let alone several hundred. As you say, you should worry about contaminated surface water seeping down the well pipe/casing; but that's why you have water tested annually and a whole-house filter. At any rate, the county has to approve placement of septics and considers well location - right?

Old 01-13-2008, 03:11 PM

Thumbs up County Health Dept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcewan View Post
Don't be daft. At any rate, the county has to approve placement of septics and considers well location - right?
Having worked extensively for 30 plus years with many county health depts., I still would suggest you test your water frequently if your septic system or neighbors is within 300 feet upslope of your well casing, as Collie Train Tunnels are as resilient as geranium roots and most active during the warmer months. Also a good drinking water purification filtration system is recommended if you are in that predicament.

Further, I am not certain but I can not recall or believe the public has any legal recourse with regards to county health department errors.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:41 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,139,717 times
[SIZE=-1]The State requires 75 feet between any component of a septic system and a well.[/SIZE]

Old 01-14-2008, 02:31 PM

452 posts, read 1,734,092 times
That's right, Buck. Towns can require more than state regulations. Some towns require upwards of 100 feet with a few towns go as high as 125 between well and septic system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire