Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 09:33 AM

557 posts, read 606,491 times

Advertisements

Nice screen name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 07:30 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ground_pounder View Post
maybe it's me but i feel that there's alot of new construction going on there
Based on what I hear from talking to a planning board participant and from the minutes, 2015 saw a fair amount of construction. Apparently there are a lot of approved subdivisions with roads and septic plans, where the original subdivision requests went through before the housing downturn, and now that the market is back up, the builders are making up for lost time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
There are some developments that are more numerous close to the Bedford town line on New Boston Rd and Bedford Rd over along and east of route 13. New housing permits issued certainly never went back up to levels seen during the housing bubble.
It does seem like there's a lot of people, often priced out of Bedford, looking at nearby communities for suburban/rural housing stock.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:42 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,192,073 times
ok i am also wondering if new boston would be a good place to go off grid

Old 11-21-2016, 07:21 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
It is nearly an exurban area to Manchester, more commuters live there- higher median home prices and median household income. A sizable increase in equalized tax rate over the past several years as well. I would look further west of New Boston, further into the Monadnock region. Sometimes high speed internet varies with how rural you are and cell phone signals can be spotty in rugged areas there.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:51 PM

Wink Off Grid? Heck, these towns have both kinds of Internet -- DSL and 4G.

New Boston is rarely in the news, only recent article on the town is about the city and police being sued in relation to sexual harassment. Tough to encourage somebody to move when the town could be facing a big payout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It is nearly an exurban area to Manchester, more commuters live there- higher median home prices and median household income. A sizable increase in equalized tax rate over the past several years as well. I would look further west of New Boston, further into the Monadnock region. Sometimes high speed internet varies with how rural you are and cell phone signals can be spotty in rugged areas there.
In terms of tax rate, you want your neighbors to have higher priced homes with lots of bells and whistles, keeps the taxes on your little shack that much lower. The problem comes when your rich Burlington, Mass. commuter neighbors start to try and vote in the amenities they miss from MA, like trash pickup and a full-time police force.

Mont Vernon and New Boston are becoming popular "in the countryside" places to raise families, this drives up the tax rates even though they are far enough out from the highway not to be as attractive to 3/93 commuters as Bedford.

Cell coverage maps are getting more detailed, but signal strength varies over time (usually better right now with the leaves off most trees, worse in the spring). If you need high-speed Internet (e.g. for work), don't just assume because Fairpoint or Comcast says an address is prequalified that you will actually be able to get service!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ground_pounder View Post
ok i am also wondering if new boston would be a good place to go off grid
If you actually want to go off grid you'll need to go at least one town "further out", look at Lyndeborough, Weare, etc. Depends on how far off you want to go, all these "exurb" towns have parts that are pretty darn rural, not far outside the "town square" you can find unpaved roads and working farms. Once you get outside the "compact area", nobody cares if you raise chickens or livestock (unless you're in a subdivision with CC&Rs).

Last edited by Nonesuch; 11-21-2016 at 08:04 PM..

Old 11-28-2016, 11:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
When a town becomes populated enough that the wait on Saturday at the town dump or transfer station becomes noticeable it is time for municipal trash collection and disposal. Londonderry instituted this decades ago and this is one of the "amenities" I am willing to support.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:52 AM

114 posts, read 123,749 times
New Boston is a quiet town with a great sense of community. A co worker of mine grew up there and then convinced her husband to buy her child hood home to raise her own family in the town.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:46 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,192,073 times
all of the newer homes there have covenants on them. i won't buy a house with any kind of restrictions on it nor am i going to pay to be any part of an HOA with some of there insane rules and regs i'm perfectly happy with city codes. it's not like i'm gonna have junkers in the front yard with grass ten feet tall with a pink and lime green house. i don't need to pay anyone to tell me how i should live my life and that they know what's best for me

Old 06-09-2017, 01:15 PM

Exclamation Immigration raid in New Boston nets 2 with prior deportation record

After ICE raid, New Boston's newest restaurant is closed until further notice: New Boston restaurant closes after ICE officers remove 2 workers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUR
The owner of a Mexican restaurant in New Hampshire has taken to Facebook to say he's closed until further notice after immigration officers removed his two kitchen workers. Pedro Aguirre, owner of La Cabana Mexican Grill, says the incident Thursday left him and his wife "heartbroken."
Gotta wonder if La Cabana Mexican Grill was having other issues, if this was all it takes to shut down?

Old 07-02-2017, 11:56 AM

Wink "Sliders" new owner, new restaurant on site of "La Cabana"

I think I called it on La Cabana; new owner closed before the raid, and already has a sign up for a new restaurant, "Sliders".

Quote:
Originally Posted by UL
In the wake of an immigration raid that led to the arrest of two restaurant workers and closure of the former La Cabana restaurant, a new American and Caribbean restaurant will open next month in the same space.

Owner Tom L’Heureux says the restaurant, named Sliders, will open at 737 River Road in early to mid-July.

L’Heureux said his purchase of the restaurant was finalized in late May, before federal agents raided La Cabana on June 8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire