Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 08:59 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,669,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
Except being ripped off by the state for something many other states have done away with
Wait for the rest of the free-staters to move here, start a repeal movement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 11:54 AM

132 posts, read 195,893 times
The registration process & inspections are both screwed. The registration renewal is tied to your birthday, which makes no sense at all.
My first registration & inspection for my car would be in July. My birthday is in Jan. So that means renewing in Jan. AND getting another inspection.
Explain the sense of that to me.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:12 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,669,274 times
Question Why July?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtneer12 View Post
The registration process & inspections are both screwed. The registration renewal is tied to your birthday, which makes no sense at all.
My first registration & inspection for my car would be in July. My birthday is in Jan. So that means renewing in Jan. AND getting another inspection.
Explain the sense of that to me.
Did you just purchase, or just move to NH?

New Hampshire's registration and inspection calendar is tied to the owner's birthday, with RSA 261:62 setting registration expiration to the owner's birthday, and 266:1 doing the same for inspection, and providing for limited extensions to make them co-terminate in the second year:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSA 266:1 - II
Any vehicle registered under this title, except an OHRV, snowmobile, moped, or other exempt vehicle, shall be inspected once a year, during the month in which the birth date of the owner is observed, if the owner is a natural person. An inspection sticker shall be valid for the same duration as the vehicle's registration, which shall not exceed 16 months. If the month in which the anniversary of the owner's birth occurs will be one of the next 4 months, an inspection sticker may be issued, with an expiration date of the birth month in the following year, of the first person named on the title application. Nothing in this paragraph shall require any person who has registered and had inspected a vehicle with temporary plates to have the vehicle reinspected upon receipt of permanent motor vehicle plates. An inspection sticker shall not expire when a vehicle is transferred to a licensed dealer.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:48 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
OP - I strongly recommend LVP TOWING AND REPAIR, 5 Auburn Road ( off Rt 128 just east of I-93) in North Londonderry 434-5757 as a inspection, oil change and repair station. They have been in business for decades and also do commercial work and RV's.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:53 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
Boston 904 - You may have 20 million vehicles but you do not spread corrosive salt solutions on your roads for 1/3 of the year. Most of my cars have rusted out while they still had many miles left in the engine and drivelines.

You do not need mandatory inspections but I'll bet a large number of the Florida clunkers are not all that safe or have four round tires with any tread left.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:43 PM

132 posts, read 195,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Did you just purchase, or just move to NH?

New Hampshire's registration and inspection calendar is tied to the owner's birthday, with RSA 261:62 setting registration expiration to the owner's birthday, and 266:1 doing the same for inspection, and providing for limited extensions to make them co-terminate in the second year:

That's what I just said.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:32 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Unless you are accustomed to driving a car with bald tires, cracked windshield, holes in the floorboard, and a leaky exhaust (all simultaneously), then you have nothing to fear from the NH vehicle inspection process.

If you get to know your neighbors and ask around, you can find a friendly NH inspection station that will pass anything short of a true deathtrap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I've lived in NH for ~20 years and have never had a problem with dishonest inspection stations. While I'm sure they exist, I think these recent threads have really blown things out of proportion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Boston 904 - You may have 20 million vehicles but you do not spread corrosive salt solutions on your roads for 1/3 of the year. Most of my cars have rusted out while they still had many miles left in the engine and drivelines.

You do not need mandatory inspections but I'll bet a large number of the Florida clunkers are not all that safe or have four round tires with any tread left.
I've spent a lot of time in Florida and some of the clunkers you see legally on the road are

Even up here, WITH inspections, I regularly notice bald tires and visible rust holes in vehicles. I've never been scammed in NH or VT for state inspections. I think some garages are more thorough and by-the-book than others are, but that's about it.

I think it's worth it.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:38 PM

196 posts, read 276,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladylexie View Post
Well I went and bought a 2012 Nissan Rogue yesterday with 36,000 miles on it and I'm giving my older car to my brother. He needs a car and he knows how to fix my car for himself on his own so I get a car that is newer and he gets a car that works for him so I guess it all works out. Thanks for the help though I appreciate it. My Honda Accord has been a wonderful car it never once failed me since I got it new in 2009 so I can't complain.
I just want to make sure that my reading comprehension has not failed me completely.

You didn't have $1100 for the car repair, but had $$ to buy a new car and not even trade in your old car but simply give it away??

Oh lordy lordy lordy - help me keep my mouth shut!

Old 06-18-2016, 07:03 AM

557 posts, read 606,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston904 View Post
We have 20 million cars in Florida and no state inspection and everything seems to work out fine
What??? I lived in Ft Lauderdale for 3 years, and there were constantly cars with parts falling off, or sitting on the side of the road with a wheel missing, etc etc.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:52 PM

125 posts, read 149,153 times
Inspections are a scam. States that do them should be ashamed. Don't worry about my rust holes. If something bad happens because of the condition of someone else's car, let them deal with the consequences on that day. We all know 4 bald tires aren't safe. If someone wants to take the chance on them for a few extra weeks until they get money to afford them, that is none of my damn business, or yours. Stuff this nanny state mentality that plagues the northeast.

Live free or die right? Yeah, no.

BTW states that do not have inspections have no higher incidents of traffic accidents. Funny how that works, I guess people want to not crash on their own without the state forcing a scam inspection on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire