Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 02:47 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,553,440 times

Advertisements

Ever have one of those days when things don't go as planned?

We'll we heard of a new place in Hillsborough called Mediterrano that we were going to give a try for lunch, I pulled into the parking lot but was told by one of the staff that they were having kitchen issues and won't be open til later in the day

Being that I didn't even pick up my usual donut at Dunkins this morning , that left me frustrated and hungry. I knew that Taco Beyondo was in the area and they had garnered themselves quite the following, so I asked a local where they might be and she enthusiastically pointed me in the right direction.

The right direction in this case is a rather run down little strip mall with only Taco Beyondo and the local laundry mat being open.

The decor was worn but colorful and the staff was extremely friendly, and it is always a good thing to have skulls as part of your motif

Prices were overall reasonable but not as much so as say Consuellas in Manchester

Linda opted for a Gringo taco consisting of ground beef, lettuce, cheese, salsa ( you know..standard ) on a soft corn tortilla.. hard and flour are also available

I decided on one shredded beef and one pork carnitas , also soft corn but with added hot sauce. and a side of guac ( I've become quite the guac addict )

In retrospect I would delete the hot sauce, it was a tad bitter and for the most part overpowered the rest of the ingredients but the few pieces of carnitas that were not soaked in it were tastefully well seasoned an my only real complaint is the beef taco was a tad sparse with the beef. Overall though, a stop worthy of revisiting.

Oh..and the bike is the Mistresses new stable mate while she gets her needed repairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 03:55 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,443,633 times
Some of the best food in the world is served in dismal looking places. Enjoy the Cheesecake Factory.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:08 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,297,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Some of the best food in the world is served in dismal looking places. Enjoy the Cheesecake Factory.
This is so true. Little hole-in-the-wall places usually have the best (and most authentic) food. This is true anywhere in the World, really.

Thanks for the review! We should do that sort of thing more often here. I am always looking for good recommendations. Next time I try a new place, I'll try to remember to post about it.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:09 AM

557 posts, read 610,643 times
Looks good! I might have to make the trek over there.

If you get the chance, give Mediterraneo another try. Really great food.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:31 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,976,869 times
Does anyone here remember The Forrest Cafe in Cambridge MA? God, talk about a dismal, hole in the wall. I think it may have seated about 25, max. Absolutely and without a doubt the best Mexican food on the east coast. Authentic, delicious, and cheap. Of all the restaurants that have closed, the Forrest Cafe (not to be confused with the Rain Forrest Cafe) this is the one that I miss the most, along with the East Coast Grill (another hole in the wall to look at, but a GREAT vibe and AMAZING food for those who appreciate things like a well-made habanero infused martini, or their famous (or infamous!) Hell Nights (the inspiration for many of my favorite recipes).... Meanwhile, my best friend is hoping that Londonderry will become home to a Cheesecake Factory or a California Pizza Kitchen (she wouldn't be caught dead in places like the Forrest Cafe or East Coast Grill... She has no idea what she is missing )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

Old 08-01-2016, 09:03 AM

133 posts, read 560,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Does anyone here remember The Forrest Cafe in Cambridge MA? God, talk about a dismal, hole in the wall. I think it may have seated about 25, max. Absolutely and without a doubt the best Mexican food on the east coast. Authentic, delicious, and cheap. Of all the restaurants that have closed, the Forrest Cafe (not to be confused with the Rain Forrest Cafe) this is the one that I miss the most, along with the East Coast Grill (another hole in the wall to look at, but a GREAT vibe and AMAZING food for those who appreciate things like a well-made habanero infused martini, or their famous (or infamous!) Hell Nights (the inspiration for many of my favorite recipes).... Meanwhile, my best friend is hoping that Londonderry will become home to a Cheesecake Factory or a California Pizza Kitchen (she wouldn't be caught dead in places like the Forrest Cafe or East Coast Grill... She has no idea what she is missing )
Unfortunately The East Coast Grill closed their doors a few months back.....I did hear a rumor that it may reopen under new management but it may just be a rumor....

Old 08-01-2016, 09:13 AM

133 posts, read 560,286 times
Taco Beyondo......
I'm a fan of the food and the people there so I'd encourage people to try it.
I also believe that the location really hurts them....
I'm all for dive bars and greasy spoons but that building and the area in general are a mess...
Being on the inside end and hard to see from the road doesn't help it either.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:06 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,916,246 times
Note to Val - a new branch (?) of La Caretta has opened on Rt 102 in Londonderry. There is also a new Japanese and a new Thai restaurant in the same mall. All are really good.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:11 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,976,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy G View Post
Unfortunately The East Coast Grill closed their doors a few months back.....I did hear a rumor that it may reopen under new management but it may just be a rumor....
At least they gave plenty of notice before they closed though, and people were able to get their final fixes of some of their best and hottest creations... End of an era (30 years!) for sure, but the new owners have said that they're going to keep many of their signature East Coast Grill favorites, while putting their own spin on things. They both have history with the ECG, so it's not like some huge restaurant conglomerate has come along to turn this into a Chili's... I'm mucho excited that they'll be re-opening

Old 08-08-2016, 08:34 PM

125 posts, read 150,023 times
Yeah, i ate there about a month or so ago. Having lived out west for many years im very picky about mexican food. This place was ok, thats about all i can say. I ordered the chicken quesidilla which is always the safest bet for east coast mexican food, it was decent but not in an authentic way. They didnt skimp on the chicken which is good. I rate it a 7 out of 10 by east coast standards, a 4 out of 10 overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire