Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 07:38 AM

238 posts, read 315,160 times

Advertisements

I think my electric bill was about 30% higher than ever before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 08:14 AM

111 posts, read 118,361 times
We don't have AC. Had one window unit in but I didn't like how the water was dripping down the side of the house and the bees were attracted to it so we took it out. While most definitely yes it has been uncomfortable, it is not nearly as bad as the south and even Ohio. Our AC ran from late June until early-mid September. The worse part about not having AC here is the humidity inside the house. Everything feels damp. My dehumidifier can't keep up. But, I'll take this over what I came from any day! (not complaining)

Old 08-16-2016, 01:01 PM

238 posts, read 315,160 times
Ceiling fans can make a big difference. We have them in both the living room and the bedroom and only run them when we're in those rooms. I'd estimate it lets us have our A/C set between 4 and 8 degrees *warmer* than we would otherwise and still be comfortable.

Not a site endorsement, just the top hit in my google search:
http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/cooling.html

Old 08-16-2016, 07:34 PM
KCZ

4,662 posts, read 3,658,309 times
I just put the AC's in the windows yesterday because everything inside the house was very damp. The AC's made a huge difference in only a few hours.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:47 AM

111 posts, read 118,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I just put the AC's in the windows yesterday because everything inside the house was very damp. The AC's made a huge difference in only a few hours.
I've been thinking about doing that despite the water from window AC running down the siding. Last night our beds felt soggy.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:23 AM
KCZ

4,662 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnbnv-n View Post
I've been thinking about doing that despite the water from window AC running down the siding. Last night our beds felt soggy.
I felt silly doing that so late in the summer, but it's better than having mildew on the walls, bedding, and upholstery. It's easier to clean or even replace a little siding than everything in the interior.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:29 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
I can't stand it. I really can't. I don't know how people live in Texas and other hot states. Oh and my A/C is suddenly no longer blowing cool air. I think I've just completely overwhelmed it. (Luckily, a technician is on his way).
I feel your pain... my AC has been doing the same thing, except I live in Alabama, so there's little to no break from it. I absolutely despise the summers here. No fun sitting inside under an AC all summer because it's too darn hot to do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
I've been thinking that weather we've had this week feels like what it must be like to live in Louisiana or Mississippi.
The Deep South in general would agree with you. We've had weeks with the highs in the mid-high 90s and the heat index over 105. It's so humid that it's hard to breathe outside. Miserable. We don't get much of a winter, but I'm looking forward to any relief. Hopefully you guys will see some soon too!

Old 08-17-2016, 05:56 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
I feel your pain... my AC has been doing the same thing, except I live in Alabama, so there's little to no break from it. I absolutely despise the summers here. No fun sitting inside under an AC all summer because it's too darn hot to do anything.

The Deep South in general would agree with you. We've had weeks with the highs in the mid-high 90s and the heat index over 105. It's so humid that it's hard to breathe outside. Miserable. We don't get much of a winter, but I'm looking forward to any relief. Hopefully you guys will see some soon too!
Today was better. I was inside at work for all of it, so didn't really get to enjoy it much. Sitting outside on my deck with a beer now though.

Looking ahead, it looks like the next few days will be in the high 80s, but the humidity looks like it is going to stick around with it. Although, it doesn't look as if it will be as terrible is has been for the last week.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:26 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
I loved the weather yesterday in NH. In our town it was overcast and very windy. In the summertime, I am actually not a fan of very sunny days... but I do love the sun in the wintertime.

Old 08-19-2016, 03:38 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I loved the weather yesterday in NH. In our town it was overcast and very windy. ......
The drought in most of the New Hampshire counties made the national news today. An chance of rain in your town?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
View detailed profiles of: