Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 06:36 AM

111 posts, read 119,103 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one that has noticed the dire mistake in the signage and lines in the split of these 2 major arteries around Manchester? Why hasn't DOT fixed this? The sign going eastbound clearly shows that 2 lanes split to 101E but as you approach, the lines are painted so only 1 lane (left) does while the others continue on 93. Last week there was a car flipped over at this split, the barrels are crushed and last night we saw someone nearly take themselves out swerving left as they realized they weren't going the direction they intended. We drive this daily and know where to be but are scared to death when there are other drivers around us. I personally will drive miles out of the way to turn around safely versus cutting across lanes in death defying maneuvers to not miss my exit, but obviously not everyone drives that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 08:51 AM

557 posts, read 610,952 times
Which split are you talking about? There are a few

Old 08-16-2016, 04:40 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,554,248 times
mmm, been traveling down that road many a year. professionally for a while as a parts runner from Nashua to the seacoast or Concord, depending on the need.. never seen anyone have a real issue negotiating it.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:55 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,050,291 times
There has been so many deaths on NH Route 101 that the DOT wanted to remove all of the crosses.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:40 AM

Crosses that people put up after the fatalities? Which areas of 101? I know Amherst to Bedford is a mess. We've driven past accidents and have had at least one happen right next to us. Ironically (or not) the guy re-ended someone while he was messing around on his phone. So much for hands free.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:45 AM

So the area of 93 and 101 that I'm referring to is as you are coming down 93S and it splits to 101E on the east side of Manchester before Auburn. If you look at the signage prior to the split it shows that the 2 left lanes can go on 101E but as you approach the split, the lines are painted so only the far left lane continues on 101E but then kind of in a strange way splits into 2 lanes while the original 2nd lane is painted to continue on 93S only. If you are driving 93 with the intent to continue on 101E - you really need to be in the far left lane only.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:03 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,979,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnbnv-n View Post
Crosses that people put up after the fatalities? Which areas of 101? I know Amherst to Bedford is a mess. We've driven past accidents and have had at least one happen right next to us. Ironically (or not) the guy re-ended someone while he was messing around on his phone. So much for hands free.
Back when route 101 from the seacoast to Auburn was a two-lane, non-divided road, there were white crosses every couple of miles, where someone had died in an auto accident. Local roads that intersected with Rte 101 had stop signs, and due to poor visibility in many areas, daytime headlight use was required. There was even a sign (I think in the Raymond area) that said xxx number of traffic deaths the next xx miles. Kinda creepy, but they wanted drivers to be aware of the dangers and keep their eyes on the road (kind of like the Moose Crossing signs we see up north... )

Now 101 is a true highway, with overpasses, on-and-off ramps instead of intersections and most accidents are because of distracted drivers, not poor visibility or road condition. This transformation came about during our years away from NH (mid-90s to 2001) so it was quite a surprise to see all of the changes to local roads. Some were rerouted while others became overpasses.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:57 AM

24,575 posts, read 18,410,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnbnv-n View Post
So the area of 93 and 101 that I'm referring to is as you are coming down 93S and it splits to 101E on the east side of Manchester before Auburn. If you look at the signage prior to the split it shows that the 2 left lanes can go on 101E but as you approach the split, the lines are painted so only the far left lane continues on 101E but then kind of in a strange way splits into 2 lanes while the original 2nd lane is painted to continue on 93S only. If you are driving 93 with the intent to continue on 101E - you really need to be in the far left lane only.
So they re-painted the lines and didn't change the sign. Oops. I haven't been on that exit ramp since last winter.

That used to be a 2 lane exit from I-93S to 101E. If you were in the right lane, you'd play chicken with the merging traffic coming in from I-93N onto 101E. Since the majority of the traffic in that intersection is coming from the south, it makes sense that they'd change the exit from the north to 1 lane and eliminate the merge. 101E is briefly 3 lanes there and then drops the right lane to become a 2 lane highway.

I just looked at that intersection on Google. With that aerial photo, I-93S to 101E is still striped 2 lanes.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:58 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,925,459 times
I drive on or by that intersection every few days and never had any problem. I have noticed the usual multi lane confusion but am not bothered.

What really amuses me is I-93 traffic flows at around 75 mph in the 55 mph zone. Drive the speed limit and you will be a traffic obstacle.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:00 PM

557 posts, read 610,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I drive on or by that intersection every few days and never had any problem. I have noticed the usual multi lane confusion but am not bothered.

What really amuses me is I-93 traffic flows at around 75 mph in the 55 mph zone. Drive the speed limit and you will be a traffic obstacle.
Rt 3 into Mass is the same way. I've been doing 85 in rush hour bumper to bumper traffic before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire