Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 02:19 PM

5 posts, read 14,850 times

Advertisements

Short version of question: If my car has failed inspection in NH and I (stupidly) provided my registration at time of said failure, can I bring it to a different shop for another inspection and sticker once repairs have been made? Or do I have to go to the same shop that failed me originally, after repairs have been made?

I'm asking because, along with the other stuff below, the shop that originally failed my car is only open Monday-Friday, and I want to get this over with over the weekend so I don't have to take the bus into work and or use any of my (limited) PTO from work after this frustratingly long process.

Longer back story for anyone bored who feels like reading:
I'm a Nashua resident who relocated from MA in 2014. Since moving there I've tried four different mechanics after the one my BF used to use gave me three faulty alternators back to back in August 2015 (they blamed this issue on "bad stock from the supply house"). We'll call this place "Shop A".

My car is a 2006 so it has its issues. From August 2015 to August 2016 I had to have a new exhaust system installed, new alternator and starter (yes, after the August 2015 alternator fiasco...), engine mount, and a new windshield wiper mechanism. I had this work done at different shops because I was eager to find a place I could trust but unfortunately they all had questionable behaviors that I won't even get into.

So fast forward to August 2016, time for inspection. My check engine light was on so I knew it was going to be an issue ahead of time. I decide to give Shop A one more shot because I had been pleased with them before the alternator issues. Sure enough, they failed my car for the check engine light, as well as rust under the bumper casing and a bad control arm. I gave them the green light to repair the control arm and they reset my check engine light and told me to come back after 60 miles for the sticker if the light didn't go back on. I knew it would go back on because I had researched the issue myself and even cleared the light with a $15 reader I bought online. Sure enough the light goes back on as I leave the shop but at that point it was 7:00 PM because I had taken the bus into work and didn't get back to town until after they closed and had already inconvenienced someone with a ride to get my car. So it had to wait.

1 Week later--take the day off of work to have the check engine light looked at, only to get a call from the shop telling me that they can't diagnose the check engine light because they have "an old scanner" and "aren't familiar with my system" and tell me to take it to a dealership?

Best part is that before putting it in for the check engine light, I ran the scanner and my BF and I troubleshot the car based on the codes. Figured it was an issue with the secondary air injection valve being stuck because the pump was operational but full of water when we took it apart. I told the mechanic this. He didn't check that. I asked him if he could test the valve, something we couldn't do at home because it required an additional part. He told me he would "try". Calls me 10 minutes later to tell me to come get my car. Then charges me $50 for diagnose it AND writes "found water in air intake pump". No...you didn't...because when I told you that we had found that, you acted surprised. You didn't even take it out.

Ended up taking the car to my old trusty shop in MA where they confirmed that it was the valve and had the issue fixed and the light cleared within two hours of telling me what was wrong.

Anyway, if you've bothered to read this, you can assume I'm pretty annoyed and just want my sticker. I'm frustrated with Shop A and don't even want to them any more business. I also can't take time off work to get this done and taking the bus isn't possible for the next few weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 03:36 PM

540 posts, read 588,848 times
Not sure what your question is exactly..
If your check engine light is off and the problem is fixed why don't you swing by shop A and pick up your sticker?
What kind of car is this, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 09-07-2016, 05:12 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,151 times
why in the world would you go for inspection with the trouble light on? Makes no sense, and is just asking for trouble.

If you know of a problem, you get it fixed first then inspect.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:23 PM

540 posts, read 588,848 times
This is true.. That was the first mistake

Old 09-08-2016, 05:13 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
I'm more impressed that they joined City-Data just to share this tale!

Old 09-08-2016, 02:36 PM

5 posts, read 14,850 times
Thanks for the responses...guess my question wasn't clear. It's my understanding that after your car fails, you have 60 days to have stuff fixed. If you don't get items fixed within 60 days, I thought the shop that did the original inspection has to file something with the DMV. If I don't take my car back to Shop A to get a pass sticker, will they eventually report me to the DMV because they'll assume I never had it fixed? Even if I get a pass sticker from another shop? Does that make sense?

I don't want to go back to Shop A because they're only open during the week and I want to get it taken care of over the weekend so I don't have to take time off of work. Time off of work=money lost, or the alternative is to spend $22 on a ticket to and from Boston after dropping my car off to have the repairs looked over during the day. I just want to get this over with, it's been such a hassle.

Other stuff:

-Yes, now I realize that it was dumb of me to leave my registration with them. This is only my second year needing an inspection since moving from MA and MA is much more flexible. Seems NH will stick you with anything. Is it because insurance isn't required or what?

-I knew I couldn't fix the check engine light myself and was prepared to pay them to fix it. I was hopeful nothing else would be wrong with it, but that was dumb. I wasn't anticipating that they'd tell me they didn't know how to fix it. Personally I think the shop has changed hands (seems it was maybe passed down from father to son) and I feel like they're looking to get out of the repair business all together.

-I have a 2006 Ford Focus. It isn't exactly a unique car.

-Trust me, I didn't want to be the person who makes an account just to jump into asking questions, but I've asked every NH native that I know in person and no one seems to have an answer. And I saw a previous post from years ago about inspections being a scam and people seemed pretty helpful and nice.

I think at this point I'll just have to bite the bullet and take it back to shop A after figuring out when I get got off of work....

Old 09-08-2016, 06:29 PM

58 posts, read 27,467 times
Hi, I am a master auto tech for 30 years and Certified NH inspector. First thing is you must present a current registration for inspection, that is scanned into a computer in the service bay. The computer is connected to the dmv in concord. You get the registration back when done with the inspection they don't keep it. There are two parts to an inspection safety and obd/emissions. If a car fails for a safety item there is no grace period. It is a fail and not legal to drive. Not saying people don't do it but in the eyes of the law, you can be pulled over and ticketed or be forced to tow. If you pass safety but not obd/emmissions then you would get a clear number sticker of the month of the inspection. That would be good for 60 days not 61 or more so don't wait because after you repair a computer issue the car must be driven for the computer to run it onboard test, so you can't just clear a light then test right away. Some cars must be driven a few days or more to be ready.
So as far as reporting to the state it is done at the time of the inspection when put into the computer. You do not have to go back to the same place but you will have to pay for another inspection and that station can see what the other shop failed you for on the computer it is all tied to the state computer. I will say another shop can use their judgement if it is really a fail or pass.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:59 PM

603 posts, read 622,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnh View Post
So as far as reporting to the state it is done at the time of the inspection when put into the computer. You do not have to go back to the same place but you will have to pay for another inspection and that station can see what the other shop failed you for on the computer it is all tied to the state computer. I will say another shop can use their judgement if it is really a fail or pass.
Right, your failed inspection is already in the state computer system. I agree that you don't have to go back to the station A. This has happened to me before. I took the failed inspection report to station B. Station B made the repair and entered the repair into the state system. They charged me for the repair of course but they did NOT charge me for an inspection since they didn't actually do an inspection.

[In my case the reason I didn't get the repair done at station A was that they gave me a huge estimate for many large items they said I need in order to pass the inspection but they refused to show me these items on the car. I filed a successful complaint against them with the state. Station B said I only needed one small repair and the state police agreed. This is why it's often not recommended to get your inspection and the repairs done at the same place.]

Old 09-08-2016, 08:13 PM

58 posts, read 27,467 times
If the shop put a sticker on the car then they did an inspection. They are taking the full responsibility for the full inspection. I would never go by what someone else checked out. It is up to the shop what if at all to charge.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:53 PM

125 posts, read 149,074 times
These draconian NH car inspections are the devil. I`d cast holy water on the car but you monsters would likely fail it for future rust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire