Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2008, 09:13 PM

5 posts, read 11,345 times

Advertisements

I live in NYC in my parents and am desperately trying to move out. I work in the Gulf of Mexico and the company flies me over from NYC currently. Im sure I could be flown from NH (Manchester?) or if need be Boston.

Five things I am looking for:
Low taxes
Airport not more than 2~3 hours away
Electricity
Small house
Large land

I might even be able to live with a generator of some sort. Yes I live right by NYC, but my family's origins lies in farms and I honestly like that more than the city, just the "roughing" it part.

I'm dreaming of a small cottage, on maybe 20 acres or so, small pond, a waterfront property for a future small sailboat. I have looked at Monroe, and Tuftonboro as I hear these places have LOW local taxes, however they are a bit far from a domestic capable flight service with regular flights to New Orleans.

I love the attitude of the state as I am a libertarian, but not an extremist, and think taxes suck not only for money reasons but its just not what the country was meant to be. I'm not a conspiracy addict though, I get along fine with both camps some of the time.

I love historical towns as well and would love to be in that setting. I am not looking for a hustle and bustle place, a few grocery stores would be nice though, Wal-mart doesnt cut it for me as an ideal store though.

I'll be reading a few posts but just hoped someone out there might had been in a similar situation, just trying to find a place to eventually start a family, with necessity to be somewhat near an airport, yet still out in the wilderness a bit with basic amenities.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 05:40 PM

3 posts, read 3,687 times
Check out Exeter. It is about 40 min to Manchester Airport and is a historical town. A lovely area and close to ocean too.

From my experience Manchester offers flights just about anywhere you need to go, though sometimes it makes more sense to use Boston depending on location and cost. We've flown to many areas of the country using Manchester Airport.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:00 PM
JMX

313 posts, read 1,175,380 times
Most of the state of NH is within 3 hours of the Manchester airport. Just 1 hour from the airport and you can be in areas that are quite rural.

And I know you can fly Southwest Airlines from Manchester to New Orleans, although you will have to change planes in Baltimore or some other airport.

The southeastern part of NH is where the most hustle and bustle is. I would recommend looking at towns north and/or west of Concord.

This site is always helpful in researching towns and tax rates, etc.
NH Community Profiles (http://www.nh.gov/nhes/elmi/communpro.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire