U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 04:23 PM

9 posts, read 32,271 times

Advertisements

I have really been enjoying reading this forum and wanted to comment that everyone seems so friendly and helpful. We are considering relocating to New England (from New Mexico) within two years and I am beginning the search for the right area to "settle down" in to raise our family. I am hoping that the two year time frame will also be helpful as far as letting the real estate market settle out while we search.

After reading a couple of posts regarding the Conway to Tamworth areas and also Portsmouth I would really like some more information. Lake Winnipesaukee looks beautiful from what I've seen online, as well as the many smaller lakes scattered throughout the area. Of course I love the ocean and like what I am reading about Portsmouth. I am looking for a bit of a town feel with acreage though and Portsmouth would be too expensive for my family. We would like to look in the 200K to 300K range. I was thinking that this area from Alton/Durham, Milton, up through Conway might offer a "best of many worlds" solution, including access to all of the coastal region, summer lake activities, cross-country and downhill skiing, reasonable real estate prices, etc... Also we will be closer to my husband's family in Mass and Conn and will be able to visit without it costing us an arm and a leg.

Could anyone provide some more specific information about these towns? I would really like to find an area with good schools and abundant activities for the children and access to groceries, restaurants, etc... Part of the problem is that we'd like (small) acreage, but also for our kids to have access to other kids. As for work, that will be tough and take further research. My husband is a scientist and said he is fairly certain he can work in Concord- as for other areas we'll have to research further and cross fingers, though we may end up farther South. I will be looking for work at a hospital most likely, or even be wanting to commute to multiple hospitals. Nonetheless, if you can share information regarding these areas it would be appreciated since I am becomming enamored of them. I hope to visit later 2007 to check out NH firsthand. Is Lake Winnipesaukee a good place to spend a little recreational time if/when we do? Thank you for any suggestions and good or bad info you can provide about any areas I've mentioned or ones I don't know about! Your perspective is appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2006, 07:33 PM

Default Modification!!

Not to be confusing, LOL! But hubby says Concord really is the place for him to work. All of my desires for characteristics in places to live stand though! Perhaps we can find a place with access to those I've mentioned or similar activities. Really we need local activities for the family more than anything. I guess we should probably focus near Sutton, Hopkinton, and even surrounding Concord in other directions. I've read Sutton and Hopkinton are good for schools. I really enjoy reading descriptions of the places if you have any help to offer!

Old 11-30-2006, 06:04 AM

59 posts, read 263,431 times
Hi Humster,
I can't help as much as I'd like to, but if you're primary concern is keeping your kids entertained, I wouldn't go west of Concord. IMO all those towns would be pretty boring for kids!
Travelling to Concord is a piece of cake from just about anywhere in the state, and I suggest you look a little further north. I spent 4 years delivering to hospitals and pharmacies in the lakes region, so I know that there are plenty in the area. You should be able to find what you're looking for as far as property in Franklin. Just like any town, anywhere in the US, downtown Franklin can get a little "scummy" (for lack of a better word). Definatelt not "unsafe" though. If you're unfamiliar with Franklin here are some key points:
-There's a hospital in Franklin, and it's also within 15 miles of Concord Hospital and Lakes Region General Hospital.
-There are grocery stores, and all your other amenities in Franklin but you'll also be within 5-10 miles of Tilton where the outlet malls are.
-As far as I know property and taxes are very reasonable
-I can't tell you about schools (I don't have children), but every child I've ever come in contact with in the area was polite, and well spoken, so I'm assuming the schools have something to do with it.
-You'd be in the lakes region, and travelling anywhere from Franklin is easy.

I can go on and on about Franklin but I'll leave it at this: It is a quaint, quiet, old fashioned town that's close to everything you're looking for. Just don't move "downtown".

Old 11-30-2006, 09:11 AM

Mlynnsoucy- Thanks for the great info! That's exactly the sort of info I need. It's good to hear there is a good commute to Concord from many places so we have options- and proximity to the lakes region would be nice. Also, it's great to know there are several hospitals in that area. I am enjoying researching the state and look forward to visiting next year so I can experience it. Perhaps September would be a good time for us.

Any suggestions on things to see/not to miss while we're there?

Old 11-30-2006, 03:58 PM

I'll get back to you on what you shouldn't miss, I don't have time to write right now. Or you could check my profile. I own a website about new hampshire, and the white mountains area is my biggest section.
Yes, early september is beautiful in that area!!!

Old 11-30-2006, 05:12 PM

78 posts, read 209,263 times
Default relocating to NE

Quote:
Originally Posted by humster View Post
I have really been enjoying reading this forum and wanted to comment that everyone seems so friendly and helpful. We are considering relocating to New England (from New Mexico) within two years and I am beginning the search for the right area to "settle down" in to raise our family. I am hoping that the two year time frame will also be helpful as far as letting the real estate market settle out while we search.

After reading a couple of posts regarding the Conway to Tamworth areas and also Portsmouth I would really like some more information. Lake Winnipesaukee looks beautiful from what I've seen online, as well as the many smaller lakes scattered throughout the area. Of course I love the ocean and like what I am reading about Portsmouth. I am looking for a bit of a town feel with acreage though and Portsmouth would be too expensive for my family. We would like to look in the 200K to 300K range. I was thinking that this area from Alton/Durham, Milton, up through Conway might offer a "best of many worlds" solution, including access to all of the coastal region, summer lake activities, cross-country and downhill skiing, reasonable real estate prices, etc... Also we will be closer to my husband's family in Mass and Conn and will be able to visit without it costing us an arm and a leg.

Could anyone provide some more specific information about these towns? I would really like to find an area with good schools and abundant activities for the children and access to groceries, restaurants, etc... Part of the problem is that we'd like (small) acreage, but also for our kids to have access to other kids. As for work, that will be tough and take further research. My husband is a scientist and said he is fairly certain he can work in Concord- as for other areas we'll have to research further and cross fingers, though we may end up farther South. I will be looking for work at a hospital most likely, or even be wanting to commute to multiple hospitals. Nonetheless, if you can share information regarding these areas it would be appreciated since I am becomming enamored of them. I hope to visit later 2007 to check out NH firsthand. Is Lake Winnipesaukee a good place to spend a little recreational time if/when we do? Thank you for any suggestions and good or bad info you can provide about any areas I've mentioned or ones I don't know about! Your perspective is appreciated.
I live in a small town north of Concord. NH doesn't have a sales or income tax as you probably know. Lake Winni is quiet during the off season but is crazy during the summer. Unfortunately our tourists are not always considerate. You might want to explore the greater Concord area. Concord hospital is expanding and Dartmouth Hitchcock has an excellent clinic in Concord. Considering the price range you want to stay in, I would recommend Loudon which is becoming more upscale since Concord real estate is steep and L has attracted many young families because high school is in Concord. The further north you go the more reasonable the real estate. There are lovely towns north of Concord. Depending on how far north you wish to live, Plymouth is a university town and is close to skiing. Usually in a college town the public schools are better. On the east side of Winni, Tamworth has a summer theatre and good hiking and swimming; Wolfeboro is a nice town but gets extremely busy in the summer, however you'll find another hospital there. The towns below the lake tend to be poorer towns.
West of Concord has lovely towns such as Henniker, and there is a ski area there, Weare is reasonably priced and attracting young famimlies. Hopkinton is pricy but schools are probably best in the state. People who like Hopkinton usually also like Canterbury where I live. The drawback is high school which is in Belmont. Usually kids here go to private schools for hs. Canterbury is quaint and probably the most supportive, charitable town I've lived in. We all seem to do some volunteering to either help keep taxes down or make sure there's a slush fund if a family needs help. Further west the weather gets worse. Nashua to the south has two great hospitals but real estate is higher than you want. Manchester has more crime than the other cities.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-30-2006, 05:23 PM

78 posts, read 209,263 times
Hi Humpster-
Just a few tips. I agree with MLynn. Franklin has had a bad reputation for a long time due to poverty and drugs however it is improving. More upscale families are moving in and there is building going on in them there hills!!! The hospital does not have a good reputation and neither does the school system.
I think buying in Franklin may be wise because of improvements being made. This makes for a good investment and Concord is less than a 1/2 hr. away.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:44 AM

7 posts, read 25,274 times
I just moved to Alton from Florida and I love it! It's a small town with a cute downtown area. The schools are great -- my kids are very happy and have made lots of friends! We bought a 3 bedroom house with 14 acres for under $250,000. Alton is about 45 minutes to Concord so it's still within commuting distance. Hope this helped a little. Let me know if I can answer any other questions about Alton. I'm no expert (yet!) but I'll help as much as I can!

Old 12-04-2006, 03:02 PM

mlynn- Thanks, I'm gonna check out your site. It's nice to get additional sources, especially local ones.

kateg- thanks for the abundance of info. I really enjoyed reading your description of Hopkinton and the way the town works together. I'm looking forward to enjoying the smaller New England towns. They seem really different from here and I love learning about new places. Also thanks for the hospital info. I am looking further at real estate in some of the places you have described.

As for places like Alton and Plymouth, they seem wonderful. I am still looking at them since 45 min is doable, but we are probably going to end up a little closer in. Where we live now is a 35 min commute to Dh's work though, so we're used to it. Although I very much want to consider those farther towns since we want to keep options open if dh ends up doing some telecommuting. Doesn't seem like the mose likely scenerio though. I also definately want to visit those places, both when we check the area out and also after we move to NH (if we do!).

Question: Does anyone know anything about the Sutton area?

Old 12-05-2006, 04:53 AM

Just keep in mind that a 45 minute commute can turn into hours when you factor in snow!!! Traveling from Alton to Concord in a snow storm can be brutal. In my 4 years of traveling from Manchester to Plymouth every day, I've noticed that north of Concord isn't plowed as well as south. Blizzards don't happen often anymore, but during one storm last year it took me over 3 hours to get to Plymouth.

As for what not to miss when you visit, it all depends on what time of the year you come, where you'll be staying, and what type of activities you enjoy (hiking, fishing, biking...). Am I correct in saying that New Mexico is typically warm? If so, you might find it a bit chilly in September.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire