Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 01:44 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,805,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
We once had no income tax in Connecticut. Then in 1991 Governor Weicker swindled us into one at 4.5%. Now it ranges 6 to 6.9%. Originally they reduced our sales tax from 8% to 6%. Now it's 6.35% and discussions are underway to raise it to 6.85%. Once clothing was exempt from sales tax. Now it's fully taxable. Add in all the other "fees" and increases in gas, liquor, cigarette, as well as service taxes and we've got plenty. Interestingly, despite all theses "revenue" sources we have the highest deficits ever and have had to significantly cut essential services to our neediest residents. Be careful NH when you invite the income tax into your state. You don't want to follow our path as our people and businesses are heading out.
Taxes of all types are almost always a one way street. Open that door, and you'll never get it closed again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 01:53 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,552,712 times
Start taxing heroin, that will help close your budget gap and reduce usage.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:19 PM

4,564 posts, read 5,625,091 times
Wink Okay, who here is "Harry Viens" in the Union-Leader?

Union Leader has a new letter on the subject "Hidden costs of an income tax", written by a "Harry Viens", talks about how Connecticut's income tax has only left them worse off. Who's the poster using that as their pseudonym?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Start taxing heroin, that will help close your budget gap and reduce usage.
Taxing a substance that kills the consumer off that quickly is not sustainable.

We could try Pot, but that hasn't worked out so well at the federal level, turns out you need to both legalize it and tax it to make any money. Who'da thunk?

Old 01-09-2017, 06:32 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,600,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Union Leader has a new letter on the subject "Hidden costs of an income tax", written by a "Harry Viens", talks about how Connecticut's income tax has only left them worse off. Who's the poster using that as their pseudonym?
New taxes don't solve problems, they just give the illusion that someone else will pay them

Unfortunately, it is only an illusion.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:37 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,586,466 times
Once the tax is applied it will never go away only get worse

Old 01-09-2017, 09:15 PM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,053,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
Taxes of all types are almost always a one way street. Open that door, and you'll never get it closed again.
Agree. The real problem is that fed, state and city/town budgets are always increasing due to everyone wanting handouts (welfare, food stamps, Section 8, parents wanting a better student/teacher ratio, free laptops for their children, help for refugees, help for drug addicts) and government employee pensions and benefits increasing. If we could cut out all of these handouts, then we could keep our cost down and therefore lower our taxes. Everyone has to stop trying to get more from our governments than they put in.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:41 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,805,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Agree. The real problem is that fed, state and city/town budgets are always increasing due to everyone wanting handouts (welfare, food stamps, Section 8, parents wanting a better student/teacher ratio, free laptops for their children, help for refugees, help for drug addicts) and government employee pensions and benefits increasing. If we could cut out all of these handouts, then we could keep our cost down and therefore lower our taxes. Everyone has to stop trying to get more from our governments than they put in.
Oh yeah, big time. Far too many riding "in the wagon" and too few "pulling it".

Old 01-10-2017, 05:29 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,373,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Give me some examples of "government employee pensions and benefits increasing". At least at the federal and state level, I've seen pension calculations decreased and benefits decreased with increased employee contributions. How do you consider a pension a "handout". Is it just because you don't get one? I am starting a job at UNH in a couple of weeks and there's no pension there for me.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:10 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,600,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
Give me some examples of "government employee pensions and benefits increasing". At least at the federal and state level, I've seen pension calculations decreased and benefits decreased with increased employee contributions. How do you consider a pension a "handout". Is it just because you don't get one? I am starting a job at UNH in a couple of weeks and there's no pension there for me.
California state police can retire with 90% of the their salary after 30 years of service. If they start young they can do it by their early 50's:

https://www.calpers.ca.gov/page/newsroom/myths-vs-facts

That doesn't show increasing, but it's pretty generous.

Congratulations on the new job! Is that in Durham?

Last edited by jdhpa; 01-10-2017 at 08:05 AM..

Old 01-10-2017, 08:38 AM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,053,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
To begin with, past pensions were too generous and retired employees were living longer than expected, so those pension funds were underfunded. I see that on the federal level with the postal workers, and that caused the post office to try to balance out their books by only hiring contract workers now. On a local level, public school employees with their pensions and benefits plans (and the costs of special needs students) causing the property taxes to skyrocket.

As to working for UNH, I looked into that myself, and for the jobs there that I was qualified for, they had no health insurance available because the work was considered seasonal. So I have to keep my Boston area job. Meanwhile, they are excited and pleased to spend $$$ on a new football stadium scoreboard. And last year, I did see a job posted there for a full time football team videographer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire