Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 08:38 AM

3 posts, read 2,691 times

Advertisements

hello, my fathers landlord is saying that my father can not watch his own grandkids in the apartment because they aren't on the lease, he also just told my father that only his and my step moms names are allowed to be on the mail box... I do not live with my father but I have my mail sent there and my children's mail sent there, is he allow to force this and is he allowed to say that he isn't allowed to babysit his own grandchildren?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 09:00 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Why can't you have your mail sent to where you are actually living? What about renting a post office box?

Maybe your landlord doesn't think that your father's apartment isn't childsafe enough and is worried about liabilities.

I agree with your landlord about not having your name on the mailbox because your father's place is not your official residence. Basically, he made a lease with your father and stepmother after meeting and vetting them, he doesn't want you or your children moving into the apartment with them. And having your names added to the mailbox would be your father's landlord accepting your tenancy.

So again, where do you and your children officially live?

Old 02-20-2017, 10:37 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
What does his lease say?

Your question might be better served on the City-Data > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting forum.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:25 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,134 times
I believe some over 55 communities restrict how long kids can stay in a resident's house (to prevent semi-perm or permanent living conditions), but a restriction on just spending a short amount of time (day or overnight) sounds ridiculous. Not sure if that is the case with your father or not.

If it isn't in the lease, I don't know how they could enforce it.

As for the mail, agree with Miu

Old 02-20-2017, 03:47 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleylgallant View Post
hello, my fathers landlord is saying that my father can not watch his own grandkids in the apartment because they aren't on the lease, he also just told my father that only his and my step moms names are allowed to be on the mail box... I do not live with my father but I have my mail sent there and my children's mail sent there, is he allow to force this and is he allowed to say that he isn't allowed to babysit his own grandchildren?
Post 1. First post.

There is a dedicated section for real estate, landlord, renters, etc.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:53 PM

I currently live with my friend and im not on the lease so I use my fathers address as my mailing address

Old 02-20-2017, 05:54 PM

as for the children being at my fathers house, it is 100% child proof and he doesn't watch them more then when im at work

Old 02-20-2017, 09:48 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleylgallant View Post
I currently live with my friend and im not on the lease so I use my fathers address as my mailing address
And... you are not on your father's lease either. So you have no right to put your name or your children's names on his mailbox.

Go rent a post office box for yourself instead.

But from your father's landlord's point of view... you put your names on his mailbox (and are not on the lease) AND your children are there frequently. No wonder this landlord wants to make really sure that you and your kids don't end up living at your dad's place.

It's one thing if your father owned his own place... but he doesn't, he rents. So stop trying to use his mail box. Once you stop doing that, the landlord won't be so much in your dad's business.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:59 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
and... You are not on your father's lease either. So you have no right to put your name or your children's names on his mailbox.

Go rent a post office box for yourself instead.

But from your father's landlord's point of view... You put your names on his mailbox (and are not on the lease) and your children are there frequently. No wonder this landlord wants to make really sure that you and your kids don't end up living at your dad's place.

It's one thing if your father owned his own place... But he doesn't, he rents. So stop trying to use his mail box. Once you stop doing that, the landlord won't be so much in your dad's business.
+1.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:04 AM

762 posts, read 1,750,475 times
Ashley,
Just have your mail addressed to the "Care Of" your father's address, like this:
Your Name
c/o Your Father's Name
Street
Town, State, Zip
Maybe your dad's landlord can dictate whose names are on the mailbox (which seems absurd to me), but he has no say over where you want your mail to go. The US Mail is federally protected. If you want your mail to addressed "c/o" someone else at an address where you do not live, and that person is okay with it, you have that right. Just instruct people to send it to you the way I have it above
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire