Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 05:12 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,835 times

Advertisements

Over on the MA forum the topic of the NH state legislature came up. I voiced my opinion that the way NH does it is better than how MA does it. Just curious to get some opinions from NH residents on how your legislature is setup.

There are a few things that I see as pluses about your legislature "setup". First, 400 house/lower chamber seats is great (MA only has 160 in house). It gives more citizens the chance to serve and, I feel, gives more representation to more NH citizens. I see that as a good thing. I also like that it's part-time, so you don't have only career/professional politicians. Reps/senators can be regular working people. They can be a full-time employee or business owner. That's a huge plus in my book. And yes, I see the very low pay as a plus, too. I think that is likely to help put people there for the right reasons, and less likely to attract those career politicians from remaining in office for decades, though I'm sure there are still some of them, too! Can't completely eliminate cockroaches in this world, either!

On another topic, for those of you that moved to NH from MA. Is NH a better run state? As a visitor, I've often thought it is...the roads seem far superior (a visible example I notice every time I cross the border).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 06:39 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
I haven't visited the MA forum in awhile, but will have to stop in (or at least lurk) to see the reaction to today's vote to give themselves a big fat pay raise. How smug and self serving can you be? One gentleman interviewed will be going from 90k (+/-) to 145k (+/-) (I didn't get the exact number, I was too busy picking my jaw up off the floor). If I was still a MA resident or taxpayer I would be infuriated...

As a NH resident who lived in MA till the age of 35, I can tell you that the legislature seems much less self-serving. The fact that they ARE part time is great, they really are people just like us. It is what I imagine our forefathers had in mind all those years ago.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:57 PM

500 posts, read 636,088 times
I've lived and driven all over this country and the structure of government in NH is superior to any other U.S. state in my opinion. You are right about the legislature being average Joes. Last Saturday I went to lunch with a dozen friends and three of them were state reps: One is a construction worker, one delivers mail and the other works for a non-profit monitoring government overreach. At any given moment, I have half a dozen or more friends and acquaintances who are serving in the House. If using the political system as a vehicle to make change is your thing, local and state office in NH is very easy to attain.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:24 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I have considered running for the NH House of Representatives. Then I wake up and think that it would be a tremendous waste of time energy and effort. I figure NH gets the representation it pays for. Not very good.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:05 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
Wink I think some people run just to get the license plates and free pass on NH toll roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have considered running for the NH House of Representatives. Then I wake up and think that it would be a tremendous waste of time energy and effort. I figure NH gets the representation it pays for. Not very good.
I'm glad you decided against running.

I know a half dozen state reps, all are smart, passionate, and made the effort to run (and win) because they actually care about New Hampshire, not about the money involved. Mostly either self-employed, or have an employer who is understanding about the need to be out of the office on Wednesdays for part of the year.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:43 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
I'm glad you decided against running.

I know a half dozen state reps,

Probably not the ones that want to take New Hampshire out of the Eastern Time Zone.
Yep, we got some beauties down there.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:02 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
Default Moving to the Atlantic time zone isn't the worst idea to come out of the house of representatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Probably not the ones that want to take New Hampshire out of the Eastern Time Zone. Yep, we got some beauties down there.
If you trace down the true origins of the time zone bill, you'll find the idea actually got funding in Massachusetts, and their bill originated from some dude in Quincy, MA.

Moving to the Atlantic time zone is not entirely a stupid idea; the text of HB209 states that NH would only change if Massachusetts goes first:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSA 21:36 amendment
2 Contingency. Section 1 of this act shall take effect on the day that the state of Massachusetts adopts legislation adopting the Atlantic standard time zone in preference to the Eastern time zone. If the state of Massachusetts does not adopt such legislation, section 1 of this act shall not take effect.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:33 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Moving to the Atlantic time zone is not entirely a stupid idea; the text of HB209 states that NH would only change if Massachusetts goes first:

This is not the first time the NH legislature spent days discussing this. The NH legislature did this 10 years ago and had nothing to do with Massachusetts.

The time zone keeps coming up again and again.

And the current incarnation. Why waste time on this now?
Why not wait until Massachusetts actually does this - which it will never do.

So again, the NH legislature wastes time on absolutely dumb notions.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:09 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,835 times
As for the time zone, I'd like to see us stay EDT all year long....no "falling back". No more 4:15 December sunsets.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:55 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Discussing time zones or savings times supports my comment about getting what you pay for. So does nonsense like "right to work" laws and carrying firearms in the legislature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
View detailed profiles of: