Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 12:08 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ757 View Post
Is it pretty common to hear people do this on their property? I assume as long as you do it in the middle of the day and say not at the crack of dawn or the middle of the night most would be ok with it.
Absolutely. State law preempts towns from passing their own firearms laws, shooting on private property is legal unless in a "compact area" (think high-density suburbs or the middle of a small town). I hear scattered bursts of distant gunfire throughout the day during the summer, less often in the winter. Most people are considerate, and either use a silencer or don't start before 10AM or so.

We are in the middle of night coyote season, so you do hear a few shots in the middle of the night, but nearly every NH resident hates coyotes, so no complaints.

Quote:
my job will eventually have the option from working at home so I do feel broadband will eventually be a need in case I cant deal with a commute or I wish to work from home for family reasons. when you say S.NH are we essentially saying Nashua or can we go up a little more from there?
You can expect to have some option for 2Mbps almost anywhere in New Hampshire. According to the NH Broadband Mapping & Planning Program (NHBMPP), as of 2014, 99% of NH residents lived in a "census block" serviced by at least 6Mbps Internet speed service. This includes much of rural New Hampshire. I can't find maps more recent than 2014 data.

When doing online real estate searches, look for houses that say they have DSL or cable TV.

Quote:
so it would be good advice in general to keep roughly an extra thousand bucks around at the end of the year in case of these swings?
Yes -- that would be prudent. The amount due on the December bill shouldn't come as a total surprise, but it is usually higher than the mid-year bill.

Homeowners need to keep an extra $1K around at the end of the year anyway, just to cover the variability in heating costs. A really cold and windy winter can double the volume of fuel you need to use. If you are looking at houses now and they show last year's heating bills, keep in mind that last winter was unusually mild but propane prices were high, so not a good baseline.

Many people have woodstoves and burn cordwood to keep heating costs down, this is a great option if you work from home and have time to tend a fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 01:13 PM

12 posts, read 23,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Absolutely. State law preempts towns from passing their own firearms laws, shooting on private property is legal unless in a "compact area" (think high-density suburbs or the middle of a small town). I hear scattered bursts of distant gunfire throughout the day during the summer, less often in the winter. Most people are considerate, and either use a silencer or don't start before 10AM or so.

We are in the middle of night coyote season, so you do hear a few shots in the middle of the night, but nearly every NH resident hates coyotes, so no complaints.
that is awesome to hear, I really hate how in NY in addition to the ridiculous state gun laws almost every county and town has their own variations of firearm laws its just simply absurd. I would like to have a small chicken coup one day as well so I'm glad most folks will understand if I pop a round off at a coyote if they try something.

Quote:
You can expect to have some option for 2Mbps almost anywhere in New Hampshire. According to the NH Broadband Mapping & Planning Program (NHBMPP), as of 2014, 99% of NH residents lived in a "census block" serviced by at least 6Mbps Internet speed service. This includes much of rural New Hampshire. I can't find maps more recent than 2014 data.

When doing online real estate searches, look for houses that say they have DSL or cable TV.
that is good to hear and thank you for the links! that will help quite a bit.

Quote:
Yes -- that would be prudent. The amount due on the December bill shouldn't come as a total surprise, but it is usually higher than the mid-year bill.

Homeowners need to keep an extra $1K around at the end of the year anyway, just to cover the variability in heating costs. A really cold and windy winter can double the volume of fuel you need to use. If you are looking at houses now and they show last year's heating bills, keep in mind that last winter was unusually mild but propane prices were high, so not a good baseline.

Many people have woodstoves and burn cordwood to keep heating costs down, this is a great option if you work from home and have time to tend a fire.
I actually was going to invest in a woodstove as i've heard from many people I spoke to up in NH that its one of thee most cost effective ways to warm a home up there, in addition to making sure my home is very insulated I will definitely invest in multiple heating options.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:22 PM

500 posts, read 636,088 times
People in NH are armed to the teeth. Late spring through fall I hear people shooting guns all the time, including the roads around where I live. I've grown so accustomed to hearing people shooting in the distance that sometimes I don't even notice it until somebody new to the state points it out. You will also see people open-carrying. Constitutional carry looks like it will pass soon; if not this year, it will eventually.

If you want to shoot guns and have chickens and enjoy your property, most of NH you will not have a problem. However, to minimize any problems, I'd not live in a city and keep in mind that, generally speaking, the further north you get away from the MA border the more free and left alone you will feel.

I use wood stove for primary heat. So does my neighbor. Many in NH do.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:47 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,665,713 times
Quote:

I agree that it's prudent to check if the house you want to buy already has high speed internet. You're likely to find this in most places from Concord to the Mass border. North of Concord it's variable. I don't care what those maps show, there are a lot of people in northern NH without high speed internet (or cell phone service).

Old 01-29-2017, 01:50 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
One week on vacation doesn't equate to knowing the place.

And just as you mentioned "M*******s", the jokes about the people of NH are plenty.

Works both ways.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:16 PM

Post Internet speeds in rural NH vary from town to town, from house to house

When I went to actually look at homes in person, I carried two cell phones with me, on different networks (GSM and CDMA) to validate voice and data coverage. Even that was no guarantee; I bought a place where I could get good signal on my preferred carrier, but two years later they tweaked the antennas and coverage dropped, I had to switch phones and carriers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I agree that it's prudent to check if the house you want to buy already has high speed internet. You're likely to find this in most places from Concord to the Mass border. North of Concord it's variable. I don't care what those maps show, there are a lot of people in northern NH without high speed internet (or cell phone service).
Agreed, those maps are out of date, and because the resolution is only down to the "census block", a neighborhood showing broadband available doesn't mean the house you are interested in can actually get multi-megabit Internet with anything other than an expensive 2-way satellite setup.

Pre-qualification (e.g. using the form on the Xfinity website) is no guarantee an address can actually get service, or the latency and speed, especially with DSL. This the importance of ensuring the house you want already has connectivity.

Quote:
I would like to have a small chicken coup one day as well so I'm glad most folks will understand if I pop a round off at a coyote if they try something.
Most folk won't merely understand, they'll applaud (We really hate coyotes).

Outside of a city, zoning is usually permissive, so your most likely limitation on keeping chickens or other small livestock would be an HOA or other deed CC&R. It's important to research a full copy of the current deed (available free online for most of NH) before you make an offer. For example, a friend lives in a area developed in the 1980s. They do not have an HOA, but the developer put a set of restrictions on all the deeds, including a sentence to the effect of "Raising poultry is permitted, however no rooster shall be kept".

Old 01-29-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviDunn View Post
People in NH are armed to the teeth. Late spring through fall I hear people shooting guns all the time, including the roads around where I live. I've grown so accustomed to hearing people shooting in the distance that sometimes I don't even notice it until somebody new to the state points it out. You will also see people open-carrying. Constitutional carry looks like it will pass soon; if not this year, it will eventually.

If you want to shoot guns and have chickens and enjoy your property, most of NH you will not have a problem. However, to minimize any problems, I'd not live in a city and keep in mind that, generally speaking, the further north you get away from the MA border the more free and left alone you will feel.

I use wood stove for primary heat. So does my neighbor. Many in NH do.
I love that NH is armed to the teeth, I plan on buying quite a few more firearms when I move there, I just have a shotgun and a ruger 10/22 for now as I want to get a few suppressors when I get to NH so it makes more sense to buy the firearms up there as there is no way in hell you can get suppressors here in NY. I will also be a conceal carry fan when I move there one day, I was planning on getting either a nice Ruger LCR 38 and also a FNS 9 Compact as I am a southpaw. I don't plan on living in any city just somewhat near them so it will hopefully balance itself out.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
One week on vacation doesn't equate to knowing the place.

And just as you mentioned "M*******s", the jokes about the people of NH are plenty.

Works both ways.
well i've done it for four years now so i've spent roughly a 'month' up in NH. I plan on continuing to do this and living in various areas throughout NH to get a better feel. Additionally when we do move up there we plan to rent first to get a feel for the community and if we like it. You gotta tell me some NH jokes now that you brought that up, haha.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
When I went to actually look at homes in person, I carried two cell phones with me, on different networks (GSM and CDMA) to validate voice and data coverage. Even that was no guarantee; I bought a place where I could get good signal on my preferred carrier, but two years later they tweaked the antennas and coverage dropped, I had to switch phones and carriers.
that's a very good idea, when I was vacationing near Sugar Hill Road in Lisbon I roughly got 1-2 bars of reception on my cellphone outside of our cabin and I have verizon. So far i've yet to find a 'zero' reception area in NH but it has gotten pretty darn close in some areas. The internet over by lisbon was terrible though we were barely fortunate to get DSL.

Quote:
Agreed, those maps are out of date, and because the resolution is only down to the "census block", a neighborhood showing broadband available doesn't mean the house you are interested in can actually get multi-megabit Internet with anything other than an expensive 2-way satellite setup.

Pre-qualification (e.g. using the form on the Xfinity website) is no guarantee an address can actually get service, or the latency and speed, especially with DSL. This the importance of ensuring the house you want already has connectivity.
I will definitely have to make sure that the house is already established with a internet connection. I'm not saying I need super high speed but it would be nice to at least stream netflix, I dont want to be the house up in the woods with the 50,000,000 dvds lol.

Quote:
Most folk won't merely understand, they'll applaud (We really hate coyotes).
we get some coyotes down here in NY as well, I once one actually come at me and ran through traffic to come to my side of the sidewalk to attack me, I found that unusual since i've never seen them that aggressive but I had my pocket knife ready and I rolled up my shirt in my fist to take a bite from it in case it got close. As per usual NY doesn't like its citizens armed so I had to make due with what I had on me otherwise I just would've shot the damn thing. I'm looking forward to taking a few of those critters out maybe the neighbors will love me for it lol.

Quote:
Outside of a city, zoning is usually permissive, so your most likely limitation on keeping chickens or other small livestock would be an HOA or other deed CC&R. It's important to research a full copy of the current deed (available free online for most of NH) before you make an offer. For example, a friend lives in a area developed in the 1980s. They do not have an HOA, but the developer put a set of restrictions on all the deeds, including a sentence to the effect of "Raising poultry is permitted, however no rooster shall be kept".
how prevalent is HOA in NH?I look on Zillow alot for various houses in NH and the HOA seems hard to avoid, Frankly I despise HOA I wouldn't want to move to NH to be told what I can do on my own damn property if I wanted that i'd stay in NY.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:35 PM

Question I'm not sure when HOAs started to get popular in NH

Quote:
how prevalent is HOA in NH?I look on Zillow alot for various houses in NH and the HOA seems hard to avoid, Frankly I despise HOA I wouldn't want to move to NH to be told what I can do on my own damn property if I wanted that i'd stay in NY.
HOAs are common in the newest developments, I limited my search to houses built before 1990 and within a half hour of Manchester Airport. In that search, I only saw one house in a HOA.

Prior to 1990, you might find weird deed restrictions, but not a full-blown homeowners association with all the associated evils.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire