Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 04:08 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,280,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDMP77 View Post
to the OP:

New England is one of the most beautiful places on earth in late Spring, Summer and early fall. However from December until April it's a frozen white hell. Seriously it snows a lot, is freezing cold and gets dark at 430. Do you remember what happened to Jack Nicholson in the movie the Shining when he was snowed in at that hotel? There's a good chance that could be you your first winter here.

You've been warned.
That's quite a hyperbole. We hardly had any snow at all this Winter until last week. The snow that we did get before that point melted during all the temp swings to 50° that we had. Last year we had hardly any snow at all, which was actually bad for us as it added to the drought conditions for 9 months or so. I can't remember the last time we had real snow in December, does anyone? Maybe I am forgetting. Seems like in 2015 I didn't even need a coat. Sometimes we do get a last snow storm or two in March. But more often we are usually well on our way to Mud Season by then.

Even during our snowier winters, our temps aren't that bad. It's rare to have more than a few days in single digits during the day. Most weeks it sticks to the 30s. I think I've worn my heavy coat maybe twice so far this year. Usually I can get away with a fleece vest, with a fleece jacket over it (or even without the vest to run the dog out). People in WI and MN laugh at us when we complain about Winter.

Maybe it's because the cold weather doesn't bother me as much, I don't see the Winter as a "frozen Hell". I am sure if I lived in an extremely hot place, I would look at Summer as a blazing Hell (actually, I'm sure that I would). So, I guess, to each, his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 04:30 PM
KCZ

4,661 posts, read 3,653,082 times
I think that it's unfair to criticize anyone's comments about NH weather unless you know what part of the state they live in. Northern NH is drastically different from Nashua. My weather resembles DDMP7's much more than it does DebNashua's.

I don't remember specific Decembers, but 3-4 years ago, we had a foot of snow on the ground in late October. I usually get 2 snowstorms during early April, and in the 10 years that I've lived in this particular location, I've usually had snow in shady places until around May 1st. [Never buy a house on the north side of a hill.] I can usually count on 20+ days of below zero temps, although this year has been unusually warm. I've been going out in long underwear, several other layers, and a heavy coat for weeks, partly because it's very windy here too. It routinely gets to 20-25 below zero at night here in mid-winter. The coldest that I've seen in this location is -44*F. And no, I'm not a flatlander. I've lived in this "frozen hell" all my life.

So yes, to each his own, depending on where you live.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:32 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,280,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I think that it's unfair to criticize anyone's comments about NH weather unless you know what part of the state they live in. Northern NH is drastically different from Nashua. My weather resembles DDMP7's much more than it does DebNashua's.

I don't remember specific Decembers, but 3-4 years ago, we had a foot of snow on the ground in late October. I usually get 2 snowstorms during early April, and in the 10 years that I've lived in this particular location, I've usually had snow in shady places until around May 1st. [Never buy a house on the north side of a hill.] I can usually count on 20+ days of below zero temps, although this year has been unusually warm. I've been going out in long underwear, several other layers, and a heavy coat for weeks, partly because it's very windy here too. It routinely gets to 20-25 below zero at night here in mid-winter. The coldest that I've seen in this location is -44*F. And no, I'm not a flatlander. I've lived in this "frozen hell" all my life.

So yes, to each his own, depending on where you live.
Well, true. Good point.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:05 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,496,863 times
Please don't think of New Hampshire as one place. It is way too diverse for that. Instead, think of regions, each of which has its own flavor. For instance, southeast gets lots of shout-outs because it's the most populous. To some people, that means easy shopping. To me, it means strip malls and the most unattractive landscape in the state, but that's just me.

Before we moved here, we did a road trip through much of the state below the whites. We easily eliminated a number of areas as just not the right fit. As part of the process, we had identified possible houses on Zillow, and did drive-bys. That was very useful, seeing what kind of neighborhoods at what price.

We ended up in Dublin, which leans left politically. One town over leans much to the right. Towns vary.

Religion? Most unchurched state in the country. Congregational/United Church of Christ seems to be the most common, at least around here. I'm sure SE is much more diverse.

One last thing to consider is that, off the interstates and limited access freeways, traffic seems to move slower, and the roads, even the major ones, often have lower speed limits. (not to mention the drivers who drive 5-10 MPH below the speed limit.

Internet can be a problem in more rural areas, but we get reliable 20mbs DSL from Frontier. No cable anywhere in town, which is unusual. Do be careful of internet service, since there are a few horror stories of being stiffed by cable companies.

You'll get lots of advice here from people who like their area, but you need to see for yourself.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:17 PM
KCZ

^^^ Post of the month, right there.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:21 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,496,863 times
I should add that winters here are lovely, especially when the snow comes. Watching the snow come down is magical to me. Between storms, it is often bright and sunny. Interestingly, the colder, the sunnier too. I feel sorry for the folks who think it is just dark and gloomy. We get out and do things. Today, we snowshoed around the yard with our dogs. Snowshoes are great on icy trails like we had a few weeks ago. With better snow, we nordic ski. Some people snowmobile. Sadly, ice fishing is on a decline because of too much warm weather, but is still an option in many places.

If you're into downhill skiing, any place west of Route 3 or north of Concord will have plenty of ski areas nearby.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:21 PM

91 posts, read 102,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 296539 View Post

I have done all the math for each state, determining sales tax, income tax, property tax, cost of living, etc. and clearly NH from strictly a financial perspective seems like a no-brainer. But it makes me wonder what suffers from not having the tax base that the other states have? Sometimes the old saying of, "You get what you pay for" really is true, so I'm curious about that. How is the infrastructure, roads, police/fire, plowing in the winter, etc.?

Thanks!

My husband and I are planning a move to New England this summer, we've narrowed it down to southern Maine, but we're keeping an open mind to other options. My husband was born and raised in CT, but has lived in Maine, NH, and Mass. He's sent me this tweet/photo yesterday and when I saw what you wrote, I thought I'd share it to ease your worry of "You get what you pay for".
Attached Thumbnails
Potential Relo to New Hampshire (or other New England States) - Thoughts?-ma-vs-nh.jpg  

Old 02-14-2017, 04:12 PM
KCZ

That's amusing, but without knowing the plow routes, when they last came through, and how hard it's snowing, it doesn't mean much.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:18 PM

500 posts, read 634,973 times
LoLo, what drew you to southern ME?

Old 02-15-2017, 06:01 AM

91 posts, read 102,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
That's amusing, but without knowing the plow routes, when they last came through, and how hard it's snowing, it doesn't mean much.

You're absolutely right, though I was being silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire