Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 03:45 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times

Advertisements

Yellow star. No yellow star. REAL ID. No REAL ID.

What private personal information is on the new New Hampshire drivers license that is not on the old drivers license?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 06:57 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Default private personal information stored/printed/referenced via Real ID

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
What private personal information is on the new New Hampshire drivers license that is not on the old drivers license?
There is one item -- you can choose not to have your home address printed on the ID, just your mailing address -- many people choose to have a PO Box on their ID, but Real ID requires your actual home address.

I'm not sure if there's anything different stored in the machine-readable data on the back, it may be mostly about checking the boxes on the application form allowing them to retain and share your photo, social security number, etc.

Old 02-11-2017, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post

I'm not sure if there's anything different stored in the machine-readable data on the back, it may be mostly about checking the boxes on the application form allowing them to retain and share your photo, social security number, etc.

"They" (the federal government) wants a National ID for all. To allude to the Fascist and Communist countries. "Let me see your papers" - of the 1930's. Now computerized on Real ID.

The state balked for privacy reasons. As everything that is on a computer about you is put on the ID card.

So the states balked.

So then the federal government changed tactics. Let the state legislatures come up with a "volunteer" federal ID - in the form of a state drivers license (state ID card) in the form of Real ID. So it is a "volunteer" federal ID - if one wants to fly on an airline.

Neat trick for a mandatory federal government national ID card.

Now your travel movements on airlines goes directly to Homeland Security. "They" want to know where and when you go anyplace - by airplane. Plus collect everything there is about you.

Some will state that "they" already have all of this information. If so, then why the Real ID?

Like sheep, we give up our privacy in the name of security.

Wait for the implementation of OBDIII for your automobile. Yes, it will take time but it is coming.

Oh, wait, I live a good clean Christian life. Why should I worry about any of this?
God Bless you. I hope you continue to lead a good Christian life.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:02 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
I'll be passing on the real ID, but for those interested here are the requirements.

https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/...-compliant.pdf

Old 02-12-2017, 06:41 AM

77 posts, read 124,760 times
I just renewed last week. Did not opt-into real-ID. Opted out of allowing state to store photo or SSN.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:02 AM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times
That SSN "opt out" only prevents the DMV from storing your SSN. The Dept of Revenue (and probably others) will still have your SSN. If you opt out of storing your photo, you'll have to have it taken again at your next renewal. Other than the fact that my photo was the worst ever, what's the point?

Old 02-12-2017, 10:52 AM

Thumbs down Nobody wants to be the next Brandon Mayfield or Steve Talley

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
That SSN "opt out" only prevents the DMV from storing your SSN. The Dept of Revenue (and probably others) will still have your SSN. If you opt out of storing your photo, you'll have to have it taken again at your next renewal. Other than the fact that my photo was the worst ever, what's the point?
Same reason not to opt-in to TSA Pre-Check and get your photo and fingerprints taken for the Federal database -- false positives. Massachusetts DMV photo database has been used to wrongfully revoke driver's licenses as duplicates, but that's not the worst that can happen.

Once they have your photo and prints officially recorded in the recognition databases (NGI-IPS, etc), future searches will run any unknown terrorists against your data; a false "hit" can really mess up your life.

Google "Steve Talley" or "Brandon Mayfield". Mr. Mayfield was arrested and held for 2 weeks because his military prints were included in the identification database, and came up as a hit when prints from the Madrid train bombings were run. The FBI described the fingerprint match as "100% verified"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington Post
"When people go to the DMV to take their driver’s license photos, they don’t expect that their faces will be scanned and searched tens of thousands of times by the FBI," said Alvaro Bedoya, executive director of Georgetown University's Center on Privacy and Technology. "They don’t expect that their faces will become part of a permanent, digital line-up. What the FBI is doing may be legal, but it isn’t right."

Old 02-12-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I opted out of having my photograph stored by NH DMV. Many years ago. At that time as I recall one had to ask to opt out (I can't remember). But I did opt out.

Then a year+ later, I lost my drivers license. Went to local DMV for a replacement.
The nice DMV lady asked me if I wanted to use my "stored" photo or take a new photo. I asked to see old photo. Yep, mine.

I stated that I had opted out of storing photograph at DMV.
The nice lady explained that it took "a long time" for DMV to delete photograph.
So much for the "laws" that state that the DMV cannot keep photograph.

Same with my DD214. To get Veterans plate. DMV is required to destroy the DD214 after approval of Veterans Plate.

I was in Concord a few/many years ago. I asked to see my DD214 (just checking if they destroyed it).
The nice DMV lady stated that it would take awhile as it was microfilm downstairs.
Yep, half hour later I get a photocopy of my DD214.

New Hampshire has all of these privacy laws - yet no one enforces them !

Old 02-12-2017, 12:47 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,151 times
Never thought paranoia could be so funny. Good work folks.

Funny how you worry about this and not the aggregation of everything you watch, buy, web browse, together with everything in public records. And don't forget your SSN in that pot.

Do you really think they need the DL to know all about you? Wake up folks. Your life is already an open book, it's being sold, and you can't even find out what they're saying about you.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:26 PM

Default When your information is sold on the open market, all you need to do to find out what they're saying is pay the $$

First you say it's paranoia, then you tell us they really are out to get us. Which is it?

I'm less worried about the secretive collection and correlation of data by various corporate and government entities than about making it easy for such information to be overtly abused. Most people have little to hide, but if anything that should grant more of a right to keep it private.

At least when you click "Accept" on a privacy policy you were given a faint chance to know what you were agreeing to, but when you let the DMV keep your photo nothing in the fine print tells you about The Perpetual Lineup, and nobody expected that by handing over your fingerprints to the TSA for faster plane boarding you're opening yourself to being arrested and held on charges of terrorist acts committed in a country you never visited.

I don't care so much that jet.com knows I like my fiancée to dress up in white leather (a la Emma Peel) as I do that Marc Lore might get away with leaking that information (maybe to the democrats funding opposition research when I finally decide to run for NH state senate) for political or personal gain. Sure, government still has all the data, but at least make the Feds put in some effort towards parallel construction before they out your John Steed fantasies.

In terms of private parties, I mostly object to the lack of transparency, like nightclubs where they scan the barcode on your state ID (ostensibly to confirm validity, age 21+) and then use the data to add you to a database, mailing list, etc. Turns out that marketing tactic is illegal in NH (RSA 263:12 X)

Getting back on topic, ever wonder about the machine-readable data in that weird 2-D barcode?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
View detailed profiles of: