Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 07:32 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,966 times

Advertisements

I would generally like it. But logistically, I think it would be confusing to have some states on AT and some on ET. I am just thinking how more complicated my work meetings would be. And they're already hard to schedule as I have to usually account for India attendees and Texas attendees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 07:50 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Yes, business tends to call the shots? We citizens just vote, and are then ignored.
Businesses, ran and operated by citizens, lobby for policy which benefits them. No sane citizen/business in southern NH would advocate for a time zone change without MA moving in tandem - NH's economy is simply too tied to metro Boston. I'm sure the founder/GM of my company personally wishes for more PM light, but from a business standpoint a time zone change is fraught with issues. So you have a citizen of the state lobbying against his own personal interests to satisfy his and his company/employees financial interests.

The short: decisions aren't made in a vacuum.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:11 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,504,464 times
Interesting to note how California businesses handle the time difference. Used to live and work out there. Financial analysts I knew, who worked for Hambrect and Quist, would have their first conference call at about 4 AM, and generally would be at their desks when the markets opened. A group that did customer service for a company would have someone at the phone by 6AM. And so forth.

Another job involved daily dealings (literally) with UK, in the pre-email days. Regular call mid-morning. Faxes to them in the afternoon, after they had gone home. They'd act and reply in the morning so responses were at my desk when I arrived in the AM. Then we'd have a call to discussed. Worked very well, and I was in the Central time zone.

Companies adapt much more readily than people do, so I think the example above is driven more by personal preference of the business leadership than by a need.

Especially in this global era, no one cares what time zone you're in. (just like "on the internet, no one knows you're a dog.")

Old 02-07-2017, 10:29 AM

219 posts, read 366,611 times
I love the idea, and think it is long overdue but it probably only makes sense if all of New England makes the switch. I don't buy the argument that it will negatively impact commerce. Companies are as likely to have a customer in Japan as New York. You simply move your day around to schedule conferences.

Old 02-07-2017, 04:12 PM

9,092 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig0 View Post
I love the idea, and think it is long overdue but it probably only makes sense if all of New England makes the switch. I don't buy the argument that it will negatively impact commerce. Companies are as likely to have a customer in Japan as New York. You simply move your day around to schedule conferences.
I don't think all of New England has to switch but it would have to be MA, NH and ME and RI to make sense. It would be nice for northern and central New Hampshire if VT went along with it and finally CT doesn't have much of a connection to eastern Massachusetts and New Hampshire so they can stay with NY.

Given how global in scope business has become these days, it would have to be a really pathetic business for a new time zone difference to cause an issue.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:30 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
Default Time zones are arbitrary, might as well jump

In relation to the geographic justification, Maine actally has the most to gain from making the leap, so I think they would follow if MA+NH+RI went to Atlantic Standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
You raise an interesting point about business. I wonder how much business would be affected if there was only a five-hour overlap between the West Coast and upper New England in a normal 8-5 workday; it is often an inconvenience (major or minor) with even a three-hour time difference. Personally, being retired,, I would adapt without much problem, but I just wonder how much of an inconvenience the proposed change would be for many people and businesses.
On the other hand, the change would improve our overlap with the UK, EU.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:56 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post

On the other hand, the change would improve our overlap with the UK, EU.
I'm not sure it would help our local economy much. Sure, some of the pharma/finance sectors heavily communicate with the Euro zones, but prominent local industries such as healthcare are more likely communicating with the midwest (MN) or the west coast. Companies like Seimens and Philips have their U.S. operations functioning largely independent, at least at the dev and marketing levels, even if the markets include EU/Asia.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:51 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,105 times
I think there would be little confusion. People would get used to it. All of New England (yes, I did say all) should go AT and eliminate any time change from daylight saving time. The clock should be kept sprung forward and locked in place so that there is ample daylight after work.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:17 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I an beginning to think our (NH) legislators have too little to do. I, for one, like an early sunrise and sunset.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:22 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I, for one, like an early sunrise and sunset.
Yuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
View detailed profiles of: