Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 09:22 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,982,813 times

Advertisements

By the looks of the current temp forecast the seacoast will be just at freezing Monday, above on Sunday, if that's the case hopefully we get rain, very preferable over the heavy wet snow option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 09:11 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,281,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
The Sunday > Monday storm might be pretty nasty, 50 to 60 MPH winds a possibility.

Yikes! I haven't looked that far ahead yet. This is almost (but not quite) a repeat of Winter 2015. Late start and then, WHAM!

Old 02-11-2017, 06:03 PM

168 posts, read 150,830 times
I turned 40 last Saturday. Spent all but the first 4 years of my life in NH. Wife and I are sick of the winters and seriously considering leaving for either NC or SC.

New England in the winter sucks.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDMP77 View Post
I turned 40 last Saturday. Spent all but the first 4 years of my life in NH. Wife and I are sick of the winters and seriously considering leaving for either NC or SC.

Winter in New England is exactly what it should be.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:15 PM

168 posts, read 150,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Winter in New England is exactly what it should be.
Maybe but it's just not for us any more. I feel like Jack Nicholson in the shining,

Old 02-11-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Maybe but it's just not for us any more. I feel like Jack Nicholson in the shining,
There's a simple solution to that. Rather than whining about it on a forum, stop considering the move and actually move.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:34 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,054,358 times
I actually don't mind New Hampshire winters at all. I mean, it's NEW HAMSPHIRE, ya know? Going a whole winter with virtually no snow and really no major storms is just, well, weird.

I can say that, though, because power outages are very rare where I live (just outside Keene). I DO worry about losing power, since no power = no heat for me (power outages are so rare that it doesn't make much sense to spend thousands of dollars on a generator). Last week we got quite a bit of snow but it was all light and fluffy; the storm due to start tomorrow and go through Monday looks like it will include a lot of the heavy, wet stuff, which is a different matter altogether. I AM a bit worried about losing power.

I also have a problem sometimes if I am able to leave my house but then we get more snow and the plows come through while I am at work -- by the time I get home, it is likely that I won't be able to get into my driveway. That's a pain in the butt (although sometimes nice neighbors will plow the end of my driveway if they see my car isn't there -- very kind of them!).

Here's hoping for the best.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:07 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
Quote:

Most people keep active outside in the winter or have a winter sport they engage in.
Try dealing with the more southern nasty (Ohio Valley) "winters" of pitch dark grey skies 80-90%, temps in the 30s and 40s, and rain combined with mud. I'll take the snow and colder temperatures every time over that garbage.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:21 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,281,685 times
I've noticed that we seem to have far fewer power outages (knock wood) these days. I think after that Halloween storm a few years ago, they have made a supreme effort towards clearing out tree branches near the power lines.

I am one who doesn't mind Winter or snow. But I live in a townhouse where all of my plowing and shoveling is done, so I don't have to deal with it too much. I do have to clean off my car and move it when they're plowing the lots. Otherwise, there is something so nice about being inside on a snowy day. Cooking something lovely on the stove. Binge watching something riveting on Netflix or whatever. And completely without guilt. If I lived in Texas or somewhere and had to sit inside on day after 100-degree day in the Summer, I would feel guilty about it, with the sun shining away. But I can't handle that extreme heat, so would either way be trapped inside. At least during Winter in NH, it feels like inside is the right place to be.

Old 02-12-2017, 05:59 AM

Eversource did a lot of tree trimming in my area this summer, hopefully that will help keep the power on with today's storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire