Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 11:08 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,458,350 times

Advertisements

The winter haters here always puzzle me. We had a beautiful walk this morning with our two dogs for about 30 minutes. All it took was the right coat, hat and mittens. We have yaktrack coils on all the time on one pair of boots, so little risk of icy patches.

Hopefully this winter has been cold enough to help the moose out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 11:13 AM

26,372 posts, read 46,199,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
The winter haters here always puzzle me. We had a beautiful walk this morning with our two dogs for about 30 minutes. All it took was the right coat, hat and mittens. We have yaktrack coils on all the time on one pair of boots, so little risk of icy patches.

The issue with the moose population is also not helped by the near complete collapse of the bat population due to white nose syndrome. Bats kept control of the tick and bug populations. Now, they are exploding and the trend of milder winters overall has exacerbated the situation.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:23 PM

168 posts, read 149,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post

It puzzles you that other peoples likes and dislikes are different from your own?

I'm from New Hampshire and love it here but hate the cold and always will. You obviously don't mind the cold. Good for you!

Old 02-17-2017, 03:36 PM

^ So I can't be puzzled by your behavior? Are you thought police? Note that I did not say you should agree with me.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:24 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,259,595 times
It was lovely by me today. Sunny and fairly warm, got up to about 38° or so.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:41 AM

500 posts, read 629,402 times
Two words: Merino wool. Best stuff ever an makes winter so much nicer.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:51 AM

fleece is the new marino wool

Old 02-22-2017, 09:15 AM

Naw. Merino has just started to get popular over the past few years. And the reason being that it's the best. Does not smell, anti-bacterial, is not itchy, dries fast and regulates body temperature so you can wear it in hot and cold temps. It cost a lot but well worth it. I've not met a single person who actually owned and used Merino base-layers and then went on to something else.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviDunn View Post
Naw. Merino has just started to get popular over the past few years. And the reason being that it's the best. Does not smell, anti-bacterial, is not itchy, dries fast and regulates body temperature so you can wear it in hot and cold temps. It cost a lot but well worth it. I've not met a single person who actually owned and used Merino base-layers and then went on to something else.
We obviously have not met. I used merino wool clothing extensively as far back as the late 1970s, when there were no alternatives. Polypropylene came along in the 80s but the early stuff pilled and picked up BO in no time. The current generation of synthetic clothing, including base layers, is much better, and treated to resist BO.

Merino is nice, but not the only choice, and you do need to watch out for moth holes.

So no, Merino is not new, not always the best.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:39 AM

First time for everything! None of my friends have been able to find a synthetic that does not wreak of BO after hiking a 4k. Our Merino never smells at all. Definitely agree with you on moth holes, though; I'm very careful how I store it. I'll also throw out that another con with light-weight Merino for summer use is that the material is not strong so it can rip and get holes easy if you snag it on branches when hiking. Mid- and heavy-weight hold up well but light-weight is not durable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire