Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 05:42 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,625,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildridge View Post
No, this hasn't happened to me in NH. I asked the question from a hypothetical standpoint, because I want to know how a typical NH person would respond. Lets say you're buying a bottle of wine, going to an R-rated movie, or living with your boyfriend/girlfriend. If someone started preaching to you about it. What would you say? I would tell them to mind their business.
If you argue with them about it, or get defensive, you've probably given them what they want. To stop them, don't give them what they want. Dismiss them as irrelevant, and they'll go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 06:28 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,120 times
Quote:
No, this hasn't happened to me in NH. I asked the question from a hypothetical standpoint, because I want to know how a typical NH person would respond. Lets say you're buying a bottle of wine, going to an R-rated movie, or living with your boyfriend/girlfriend. If someone started preaching to you about it. What would you say? I would tell them to mind their business.
I think it is really unlikely to happen here. But if it did, I guess it would depend on the context. For me, if it was some random stranger, I would probably ignore it, or maybe say something like, "well, who asked you?" If it was someone at work, or someone I know, well, I am not sure. I would be shocked to encounter that type of attitude here though. At least where I live and work and socialize.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:57 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,669,274 times
Default I've encountered weird religious ranting in the midwest and south, but never in NH.

Quote:
I asked the question from a hypothetical standpoint, because I want to know how a typical NH person would respond. Lets say you're buying a bottle of wine, going to an R-rated movie, or living with your boyfriend/girlfriend. If someone started preaching to you about it. What would you say?
Never seen anything like that happen here, unlikely it ever would.

I think most locals would go about their business, or maybe call the local non-emergency number and let the cops know somebody's aunt has wandered out in public again.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:57 AM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,662,281 times
Quote:
Nobody is going to bother you about that stuff here unless it's a safety issue or massively illegal, like drinking the wine while driving a carload of 6-year-olds to the R-rated movie with your 13-year-old GF. If it hypothetically happened, I'd ignore the "preacher" the first time, change the subject or otherwise politely deflect them the second time, and tell them to get lost the third time. Most people here are polite as well as non-preachy.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:11 AM

193 posts, read 534,015 times
Quote:
As one from NH who has lived in the South, where "What church do you go to?" is the standard greeting, my usual reply was "We're not religious." If someone sincerely wants to talk philosophy, you would know it ahead of time.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:29 AM

141 posts, read 171,672 times
HAHA It seems that most of you would assume they're crazy and ignore them. I'm glad NH is the least religious state in the union. I hope it stays that way. The people here are some of the friendliest I've ever met.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:30 PM

77 posts, read 124,807 times
Quote:
First, as others have said, this is pretty theoretical and unlikely in NH...But certainly not impossible.

So, depends if I was in a rush or not. I would either ignore them if I was in a rush, or engage them if I was feeling like having a discussion. "Mind your business" is not an argument. If you see someone doing something that could harm them, and you have reason to believe they may not know about the potential harm, there is nothing wrong with pointing it out.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:59 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,148 times
Quote:
Lets say you're buying a bottle of wine, going to an R-rated movie, or living with your boyfriend/girlfriend. If someone started preaching to you about it. What would you say? I would tell them to mind their business.
Maybe I'm being naive, but is there really anywhere in this country where you'd get harassed going into an R-rated movie?

Old 02-14-2017, 09:00 PM

168 posts, read 150,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
Maybe I'm being naive, but is there really anywhere in this country where you'd get harassed going into an R-rated movie?
Sure. Didn't you see Footloose?

Old 02-15-2017, 07:40 AM

193 posts, read 534,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDMP77 View Post
Sure. Didn't you see Footloose?
We can admit it: Footloose was PG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire