Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 04:11 PM

5 posts, read 4,485 times

Advertisements

Born in NH, but haven't been up there in about 8 years, aka before I was able to drive.

We're driving up to NH from SW Florida with a stop in Savannah and Boston.

As for driving conditions, we have front wheel drive and all season tires that are apparently appropriate for snow.

Do you think an investment in snow tires or even a AWD rental while we're in New England would be worth it? I've never driven in snowy conditions. Plan on being in NH for a week.

For people who have made the drive, how long did it take you?

My wife is paranoid about being unable to drive in our car (2017 Chrysler 300) in snowy conditions.

Unfortunately, flying is out of the question at this point because we have two small children who get restless very quickly.

As for getting pulled over, I remember that NH has fairly strict tinting laws. We have FL plates but the darkest legal tint on the car. Do you think that will pose a problem?

Any suggestions on driving conditions, time etc would be greatly appreciated!

Also, we're starting the drive February 27th and hope to spend two days in Savannah and two in Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 05:19 PM

9,877 posts, read 7,207,036 times
Are you planning on driving to the top of Washington or puttering round Southern NH? Unless you are planning on doing the latter (which you won't as the Auto Road is closed), you should be just fine with all seasons although you should be careful.

As for the tint, don't worry about it. Unless you're in a bad area at night, the police shouldn't bother you about the tint.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:18 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwatopus View Post
As for driving conditions, we have front wheel drive and all season tires that are apparently appropriate for snow.

My wife is paranoid about being unable to drive in our car (2017 Chrysler 300) in snowy conditions.
The 300 is not a front wheel drive car.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:08 PM

5 posts, read 4,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
The 300 is not a front wheel drive car.
Sorry! Rear wheel drive I suppose. Question still remains!

Edit: Chrysler 200, mistyped 300.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:17 PM

3,688 posts, read 7,426,863 times
Don't worry about it. Unless you are traveling to extreme northern NH, pretty much all of the snow will have melted by the end of this week and there is no snow in the long range forecast.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:45 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,873,838 times
Weve made that drive twice a year for the last 20 years and have tried every route available to find the right conditions.
We go up 75 to 4 and then 26 in S Carolina to 81 to avoid the major cities (Washington and NY can get ugly)
We drive until 6pm or so and arrive on the third day in the early afternoon.
95 is the most direct route but only by a couple of hours for the whole 2 1/2 day trip so we think it's well worth it to go around the congested areas.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:02 AM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Don't worry about it. Unless you are traveling to extreme northern NH, pretty much all of the snow will have melted by the end of this week and there is no snow in the long range forecast.
Are you kidding me? I live slightly above the Lakes Region and we have 2-3 feet of snow on the ground, which won't be gone for another month. In addition, melt water runs into the roads where it freezes every night. The OP will still be OK if he's a careful driver, but NO, the snow is not going to be "pretty much" melted this week. There is also snow forecast for next week with temps just above zero at night.

OP, where are you going in NH? Temps may vary from near zero to 50's...maybe sure you have adaptable clothing incl gloves/mittens. Agree 81 is preferable to 95...my preference is 81 to 84 in Scranton, take Newburgh-Beacon bridge and avoid all of NYC area traffic. I doubt tinting will be an issue but here's the relevant info. http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/glass-window-tinting/

Last edited by KCZ; 02-22-2017 at 09:22 AM..

Old 02-22-2017, 12:56 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,503,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Are you kidding me? I live slightly above the Lakes Region and we have 2-3 feet of snow on the ground, which won't be gone for another month. In addition, melt water runs into the roads where it freezes every night. The OP will still be OK if he's a careful driver, but NO, the snow is not going to be "pretty much" melted this week. There is also snow forecast for next week with temps just above zero at night.
[/url]
I guess folks don't plow up there? Melt water freezing? A tiny film of water that makes a tiny film of ice, usually buried in the rough pavement? Guess it goes along with not plowing? And no, melt water is not everywhere. It is quite scattered, and easily handled.

Honestly, I don't know where such alarming statements come from.

And, the rest of the state south of the lakes has little snow left, probably gone by this weekend, sadly.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:20 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,676,233 times
This time of year, you should be fine, snow-wise. Though if snow does come, just hang out and wait for them to clear the roads.

From Savanna to Boston, I-95 works well, but can be rather boring. With two young children, you probably want to plan three days for the trip. If the kids travel well, you may be able to do it in two. We always found kids travel pretty well at night, and sleep through a lot of miles. Of course that translates to them being wide awake when you're trying to catch some zz's.
but if you have some time, you might want to look at cutting over toward Norfolk, VA, and foll US-13/US-113 up the Eastern Shore. That gets you around the whole Richmond-Washingtom-Baltimore Megapolis, and probably cost you only an extra hour or two total travel time. A lot more interesting, as well. You could even cut over to Lewes, and take the ferry to Cape May, NJ, then up the Jersey Turnpike.
It's off season, so traffic will be relatively light. (You will want to verify the ferry schedule as well.)

Old 02-22-2017, 03:02 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
I guess folks don't plow up there? Melt water freezing? A tiny film of water that makes a tiny film of ice, usually buried in the rough pavement? Guess it goes along with not plowing? And no, melt water is not everywhere. It is quite scattered, and easily handled.

Honestly, I don't know where such alarming statements come from.

And, the rest of the state south of the lakes has little snow left, probably gone by this weekend, sadly.

Lucky you. Plowing here is fine. The 3 feet of snow we got last week was plowed off to the sides of the roads just fine. When it melts during the day, the water runs back onto the roads, and large puddles can freeze solid overnight, creating ice hazards for the unwary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire