Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2017, 09:22 PM

6 posts, read 4,283 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am desperate to leave NYC before my little ones start school. My husbands family is from Maine but I worry work is too hard to come by there. Frankly, my husband is in the "take what he can get" line of work and currently ships for a small food store.
Similarly, we will be thrilled with a small home...all I really crave is a strong family environment, good schools, and kind people. (Who will answer all my nervois mom questions about ridding property of ticks).Coming from NYC, I don't know of I want to go too rural but mid sized is fine. With the babies, we really can't look around much and need help.
This whole idea might be silly but I need out. What my family lives with here (crowds, crime, grime) is intolerable.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 05:41 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,874,458 times
There are lots of small towns with good schools,little crime and friendly people but it's probably going to require two incomes unless you have something saved for a home.
Jobs such as your husband now has pay only $15-$20 hourly which is really not enough for a family of 4.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:09 AM

500 posts, read 636,212 times
NH is a great place to raise a family. It's one of the safest states too. When you see people here talk about "good schools" versus "bad schools," I laugh because most people in the U.S. would consider most NH schools good or safe. But the way you read conversations on this forum, some outsiders might think NH has schools like inner-city Detroit.

If you want to live in rural NH and enjoy nature and the outdoors, then ticks are a way of life. People will claim get chickens and other tales, but the fact is that if you are outside having fun, you are bound to pick them up. I am an outdoor enthusiasts and go far out of my way to avoid them, but we still find them. I have a ritual where I just check us twice a day if we have been outside.

Look up Market Basket and see if your husband can get in there. They take care of their employees real well.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:57 AM
KCZ

4,675 posts, read 3,667,429 times
Here's another recent thread started by someone who wants to move from NYC to NH, and it discusses relative housing costs, COL, need for a car, etc.
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-h...laries-nh.html

Old 03-22-2017, 01:39 PM

421 posts, read 544,489 times
NH isn't cheap, houses certainly aren't. May need to go dual income. That said, if you avoid the popular places perhaps you can keep the costs down. I would hit up Zillow and get an idea as to what houses cost in the various areas. If you are renting... I'm not sure where to look for places to rent, I look once in a while but I don't think there are many houses for rent on Zillow.

Ticks are part of life here. So is gunfire. No joke, if your neighbor lights off a few rounds in the afternoon, it's not a cause for alarm. So is driving. I live 9 miles from my grocery store, and 30 or 40 miles from the mall. There's a hardware store within a few miles but it's way more expensive than Home Depot or Lowes. Driving is part of life here, and we salt our roads heavily, so cars don't last. And our state inspection will weed out problem cars too. If it's 1996 or newer, they will plug into the computer to check for codes; if the check engine light is on it's an automatic inspection fail.

I don't know much about NH north of Concord. Other than it's pretty rural up there. Not sure how rural you want to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
View detailed profiles of: