Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 06:09 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,665,850 times

Advertisements

In a very stretched analogy a long time ago a wise marine told me to keep my head down and my ass up. We can fix your ass. One of the reality of critical injury is the lower body can be fixed and the injuries are not instantly life threatening unless an artery is severed. Even then the bleeding can be stopped. Severe head injuries are nearly untreatable and busting your skull on a curb or guardrail is not a lot different from being shot in the head.

I will not tell anyone to wear a helmet but I will damn well wear mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 06:26 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,376,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
In a very stretched analogy a long time ago a wise marine told me to keep my head down and my ass up. We can fix your ass. One of the reality of critical injury is the lower body can be fixed and the injuries are not instantly life threatening unless an artery is severed. Even then the bleeding can be stopped. Severe head injuries are nearly untreatable and busting your skull on a curb or guardrail is not a lot different from being shot in the head.

Helmet saved me a concussion for sure during a low speed accident. Back of my head hit the pavement. Without the helmet, I probably would have woken up in the hospital. Instead, I got up, picked my bike up, and moved on. Cost me a new helmet, as the foam was compressed from the impact. I'm a believer. I did not plan to fall off my motorcycle that day. But I support helmet wear choice.

As for noise, it should be common sense to not get on the throttle like a teenager early in the morning and late at night. My pipes pass inspection (and they do measure the sound during inspection) but I'm still considerate during those times of the day. Lately, I've noticed more pickup trucks with loud exhaust, both gas and diesel. The diesels are every bit as loud as the loudest motorcycle, especially when they "roll coal" with the throttle to spew as much soot as possible behind them like little children. And don't get me going on fireworks at 1 AM on holiday weekends - way more rude and inconsiderate than any motorcycle exhaust.

There are very few places these days where you get full quiet. Southern NH is definitely not one of those places.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:38 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,534,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

and that I can respect

Old 04-13-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
Helmet saved me a concussion for sure during a low speed accident. Back of my head hit the pavement. Without the helmet, I probably would have woken up in the hospital. Instead, I got up, picked my bike up, and moved on. Cost me a new helmet, as the foam was compressed from the impact. I'm a believer. I did not plan to fall off my motorcycle that day. But I support helmet wear choice.

As for noise, it should be common sense to not get on the throttle like a teenager early in the morning and late at night. My pipes pass inspection (and they do measure the sound during inspection) but I'm still considerate during those times of the day. Lately, I've noticed more pickup trucks with loud exhaust, both gas and diesel. The diesels are every bit as loud as the loudest motorcycle, especially when they "roll coal" with the throttle to spew as much soot as possible behind them like little children. And don't get me going on fireworks at 1 AM on holiday weekends - way more rude and inconsiderate than any motorcycle exhaust.

There are very few places these days where you get full quiet. Southern NH is definitely not one of those places.
Unfortunately common sense is rare these days which is why I see the frustration of people about motorcycles.. no we don't all act like idiots but enough sadly do, but in the grand scheme of things there are a lot of other noises that irritate me more than a loud exhaust.

As to the helmet thing.. experiences vary suffice to say I support those that wear them and just expect the same respect in return. You ride, you make your choices based on what works for you..same here my friend.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:22 AM

557 posts, read 602,740 times
I don't give a crap if you wear a helmet or not. You're a moron if you don't, but if your brain gets scrambled it doesn't affect me. What does affect me is hearing your motor cycle going down route 28 while I sit in my rural backyard, which is 3/4 of a mile away cause you need the attention. Or the group of motorcyclists that went down my road with one guy going from idle to WOT the whole way down the road. Or the guys that goose the throttle every time they pass by me when I am out for a walk on the above mentioned road. Or the guys that keep bipping at stop lights cause the need the attention. Ricers and Honda's with fart can exhausts are just as annoying, but Harley's and their riders are much more prevalent in this area. Why Harley's with 150db exhausts are allowed is beyond me. Why RSA's aren't enforced, and why more towns don't get noise ordinances is beyond me. "Loud pipes save lives" is a pile of crap and a dumb excuse to justify narcissism.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:00 AM

557 posts, read 602,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post

Yes, the amount of vehicles with obnoxious exhausts these days is on the uptick, and I never mentioned Harley's in my original post. For some reason there seems to be lots of trucks with "whistle tips" these days. But Harley's are still 75% of the noise pollution at my house.

And regarding helmets, I'll just leave this here....

Old 04-21-2017, 06:46 PM

209 posts, read 168,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
Please understand.. we have a loud exhaust law and even I cannot stand a non baffled bike ( or truck or car for that matter ) It is up to law enforcement to make sure everyone..cars, bikes, whatever abides by them., As to your observations about modified exhaust, I cannot speak on your experience but I can say that I hear the bikes behind me even through my own exhaust.
Yeah there are idiots on motorcycles, there are idiots everywhere.
Sounds like you need to head to commiefornia then

Old 04-21-2017, 06:53 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,376,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonTankah View Post
Why? Because he doesn't like a non-baffled bike? Seems a little extreme.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonTankah View Post
No, sounds like I am for responsible ownership, we have a generous allowance and despite disagreeing with Groundpounder on other things I agree completely that his right to reasonable peace and quiet should not be violated by some idiots making noise to compensate for whatever mental or physical deficiencies they might have. With freedom comes responsibility and consequence

Old 04-22-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpounder View Post
Yes, the amount of vehicles with obnoxious exhausts these days is on the uptick, and I never mentioned Harley's in my original post. For some reason there seems to be lots of trucks with "whistle tips" these days. But Harley's are still 75% of the noise pollution at my house.

And regarding helmets, I'll just leave this here....

That only reminds me that some shouldn't be on a bike to begin with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire