Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2017, 10:53 PM

20 posts, read 32,744 times

Advertisements

Hello folks.

I passed through a few years ago and found myself really digging New Hampshire. I honestly think it's probably the nicest state I've ever been through. I'd say it's number 1 on my list of places to live.

I'm finishing up college and soon I need to find myself a place to go. I'd very much like that to be New Hampshire. I'm digging into state laws to educate myself before departing this place. I'm also digging for gainful work. I'd like to have a job lined up before getting there, I'm just not too sure how to go about that as I live in Idaho. This is my first time dealing with this type of move. I no longer have the Air Force as a resource and it is difficult.

What I would like to know is what resource is preferred in the area for the listing of affordable dog-friendly rentals. I want to rent there for a while before I commit to a home so I can ensure it's the right place for me. I have a well-mannered female pitbull that I maintain positive control over so it is vital that I have a home where I can bring her. If anyone would happen to know a good property manager that would work with me on this I would love to contact them, too.

Aside from housing I'm hunting work. I was happy to hear that Sig Sauer would be providing the Army with the new P320 so I'm assuming there's something of a defense sector up there. I also spent time working as an administrative assistant in the Boise VA Medical Center and discovered I love supporting scientific research, so that is definitely a sector I'd be interested in. I scour LinkedIn pretty hard, but I'd be open to feedback on what resources are preferred for hiring - for anything.

Any feedback would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by Dude6; 04-30-2017 at 10:54 PM.. Reason: Bad spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 08:26 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,147,934 times
The greater Boston region is where the professional jobs are especially entry level. If you decide on New Hampshire, come with plenty of money to tide you over until you find that particular job. The state offers employment help through the Employment Security offices.

https://www.nhes.nh.gov/

Note: Sturm Ruger has a big factory in Newport.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:39 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,868,576 times
Might have trouble renting with a pit bull........big red flag to landlords

Old 05-01-2017, 10:40 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,701,430 times
I suggest you look for work in downtown Boston so you can live along I-93 and commute by bus. Once you gain experience in your chosen field you can then look in NH and move from an apartment to a house. It will take time and money but it can be done.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:52 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,952,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
Might have trouble renting with a pit bull........big red flag to landlords
If you find ANY landlord that takes dogs - grab it.

And even if you find a landlord that takes dogs - their insurance company has a list of dog breeds unacceptable.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:22 PM

500 posts, read 633,768 times
Finding a rental with dogs in a price range you want may prove very difficult. It's a tight market up here in NH.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:29 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,488,322 times
Note that there are decent size VAMC in Manchester and White River Junction VT, right across the river from Lebanon NH and near Dartmouth.

Dog friendly apt? Use the usual resources, but also plan to network. We found calling landlords and asking works sometimes. There are also some dog friendly apartment complexes in the Manchester and Nashua areas that I'm aware of. Probably elsewhere too.

If you're a vet, and since you have VA experience, VA might be a good option. Neither VAMC I mentioned do a lot of research though. OTOH, the VAMC in Brockton, Boston and New Bedford do a lot of research, among the most in the country.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:40 AM

219 posts, read 365,810 times
Nobody mentioned the shipyard, know a number of vets that work there. Better news on the job front than housing. It is going to be somewhere between extremely difficult and impossible to find a rental that will allow a pitbull. This is coming from someone that is both a landlord and has a pit mix living with two young daughters. Pits can be great dogs but there is no reason for landlords to take the risk when apartments have a number of viable applicants within a couple days of being listed.

Your best chance may be to wait until fall and search hampton or york beach for rentals. There is an excess of inventory and landlords are often looking for any revenue they can get in the off season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire