Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 08:10 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,961,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dross99_si View Post
We've enjoyed our stay here in NH, but it's time to go.
Went to south Florida on vacation and fell in love. Had a job interview while we were there and got an offer the next day. More pay, day shift, brand new hospital. $3000 relocation bonus. I can drive my fun car and fish year round. No sand and salt on the roads to worry about. No vehicle inspection whatsoever. Still no state income tax and way lower property taxes. Homes aren't outrageously priced either. Bought a beautiful 2006 home while we were there as well. 2400 square foot open concept for under 200K less than 20 miles from beautiful beaches with palm trees swaying, sea turtles and turquoise water.
I much rather enjoy the thought of sipping frozen drinks on a tropical beach in January vs shoveling snow.
We don't regret moving to NH for a second though. It definitely was an adventure. NH is a beautiful state and the people are very nice. One winter of our cars taking a massive beating and the cabin fever were enough to say no more of this. Colonial homes are just not our style (coming from so cal), housing prices and property taxes are outrageous. Vehicle inspections are for the birds
Enjoyed our time here and I thank you all for your hospitality, but it's time to move on and get the tint reinstalled and the front license plates and catalytic converters removed
Best of luck to you all!

Don't blame you, we made it one winter after moving there from SWFL and found nothing redeeming about it either and moved right back . We've been back here in Naples nearly 9 years and we're moving on in a few weeks to NC. Its a nice in between for us. Not so harsh winters and shorter summers than south Fla. Its funny because we had a lot of "why'd you move up here" comments too. Talk about "here's your sign" .. For all those screaming its glory from the mountain tops I gotta say I met a way more that would have taken any opportunity to get out. To be fair we moved up looking for a new adventure, we were in our early 20's and ready to make a new move. We're now in our mid 30's with a child and dealing with what comes with living there gives us anxiety.

I've visited NH 1 time since I left and only went to Portsmouth to meet a friend for lunch (formerly lived in Keene). Didn't feel like I was missing anything leaving there and we've not had a desire to go back. Maybe a stray "I miss fall" feeling but I don't miss the people, the cost of living, the road conditions, the winter.. nothing... It all felt old and run down when we visited and I just didn't see that the first time. We dodged a bullet when my husband almost had to go back for a job, we turned it down. I noticed you wrote a very nice leaving post and got jumped on within the first page. Typical..

They can tout crime in Fla all they want but common sense tells you its WAY more populated and so there would be more crime. That's just simple math. As long as you are living in the right place you're gonna be fine. We are on the Paradise Coast and we have some sketchy towns (Ft. Myers) and ones that have very little crime (Naples). Its all relative to population and demographics. Lived in Fla 34 years and never had my home broken into, car stolen, never been assaulted, never been the victim of any sort of major crime , or minor for that.

Also as far as hurricanes.. pft.. you get like a week notice maybe more. You can lose your roof as easily with heavy snow you can't shovel off as you can with a hurricane. Most of them fizzle out before they get to the state or veer off. We've NEVER had our cars rust from salt here.. every.. nor have my parents or anyone I know and I've always lived within 5 miles or less of the beach. I don't know what people are talking about. We did however have the underside of our cars get some rust issues from the salt there after 1 winter, among the other issues from poorly maintained roads.

Enjoy Fla! Summers are brutal no doubt, more harsh than anything you've experienced in Cali or NH, (it was 101 heat index today with 70% humidity) but at least its not 101 inches of snow! I live about 4 miles to the beach and so we aren't as hot as inland. I can't say I go much though lol. I've grown up literally walking distance to it and I think I had my fill after high school. Pools are the way to go!

Last edited by Sweetbottoms; 05-16-2017 at 08:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 08:33 PM

540 posts, read 589,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Don't blame you, we made it one winter after moving there from SWFL and found nothing redeeming about it either and moved right back . We've been back here in Naples nearly 9 years and we're moving on in a few weeks to NC. Its a nice in between for us. Not so harsh winters and shorter summers than south Fla. Its funny because we had a lot of "why'd you move up here" comments too. Talk about "here's your sign" .. For all those screaming its glory from the mountain tops I gotta say I met a way more that would have taken any opportunity to get out. To be fair we moved up looking for a new adventure, we were in our early 20's and ready to make a new move. We're now in our mid 30's with a child and dealing with what comes with living there gives us anxiety.

I've visited NH 1 time since I left and only went to Portsmouth to meet a friend for lunch (formerly lived in Keene). Didn't feel like I was missing anything leaving there and we've not had a desire to go back. Maybe a stray "I miss fall" feeling but I don't miss the people, the cost of living, the road conditions, the winter.. nothing... It all felt old and run down when we visited and I just didn't see that the first time. We dodged a bullet when my husband almost had to go back for a job, we turned it down. I noticed you wrote a very nice leaving post and got jumped on within the first page. Typical..

They can tout crime in Fla all they want but common sense tells you its WAY more populated and so there would be more crime. That's just simple math. As long as you are living in the right place you're gonna be fine. We are on the Paradise Coast and we have some sketchy towns (Ft. Myers) and ones that have very little crime (Naples). Its all relative to population and demographics. Lived in Fla 34 years and never had my home broken into, car stolen, never been assaulted, never been the victim of any sort of major crime , or minor for that.

Enjoy Fla! Summers are brutal no doubt, more harsh than anything you've experienced in Cali or NH, (it was 101 heat index today with 70% humidity) but at least its not 101 inches of snow! I live about 4 miles to the beach and so we aren't as hot as inland. I can't say I go much though lol. I've grown up literally walking distance to it and I think I had my fill after high school. Pools are the way to go!

I agree with much of what you're saying. Yes we will probably miss fall in NH. It's beautiful. Just can't deal with the winter. We will do our best to stay cool down there. AC and pool will definitely be in order!
Thanks for commenting.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Be prepared to pay more for auto and especially home owners insurance...A LOT more. Good luck to you.
Still wouldn't add up to anything close to what you'd pay in just property taxes on a "charming" home from 1890 that was updated once in 1978... Add in heat and forget it. No income and sales taxes are made up somehow and we all know its the outrageous property taxes

Old 05-16-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
I agree with much of what you're saying. Yes we will probably miss fall in NH. It's beautiful. Just can't deal with the winter. We will do our best to stay cool down there. AC and pool will definitely be in order!
Thanks for commenting.
Don't forget we have some of the cheapest electric in the nation (I think possibly THE cheapest).. in the dead of summer I pay $70 a month with our a.c set at 73 all day.. In NH my electric was...well... double that, plus heat..

Old 05-16-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Still wouldn't add up to anything close to what you'd pay in just property taxes on a "charming" home from 1890 that was updated once in 1978... Add in heat and forget it. No income and sales taxes are made up somehow and we all know its the outrageous property taxes

I expected insurance to be way higher than the quote we received the other day. That was a huge relief.
And yes I totally get what you're saying about the property taxes. Geez the home prices are sky high as well. I don't get how it's justified honestly. Proximity to Boston I suppose, but still..

Old 05-16-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Don't forget we have some of the cheapest electric in the nation (I think possibly THE cheapest).. in the dead of summer I pay $70 a month with our a.c set at 73 all day.. In NH my electric was...well... double that, plus heat..
That is music to my ears

Old 05-16-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
I expected insurance to be way higher than the quote we received the other day. That was a huge relief.
And yes I totally get what you're saying about the property taxes. Geez the home prices are sky high as well. I don't get how it's justified honestly. Proximity to Boston I suppose, but still..
Maybe but really Boston is your only major metro area there that's worth anything. Most of NH is rural-ish with very tiny cities dotted throughout. I'm an hour from Miami and 2 from Tampa and 4 from Orlando so I have my pick of several and prop taxes aren't even close to what they are there.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Maybe but really Boston is your only major metro area there that's worth anything. Most of NH is rural-ish with very tiny cities dotted throughout. I'm an hour from Miami and 2 from Tampa and 4 from Orlando so I have my pick of several and prop taxes aren't even close to what they are there.

It's WAY too quiet around here for us. It will be 2 hours to Miami and 2 hours to Orlando from our new place. Not too far and not too close if you know what I mean
Have you ever been to the Treasure Coast? Vero Beach, Stuart, Jensen Beach, PSL?

Old 05-17-2017, 05:21 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,273 times
I'm sorry so many here are jumping on you with snide remarks, your opening post was very fair and positive. People get so defensive about "their" state, when they really shouldn't. Every place offers different pluses and minuses for every one.

We vacation in southwest FL almost every year. We have good freinds who relocated from NH to the Sarasota area many years ago and truly love it there. If we found suitable jobs in that area, I suspect we'd join them.

I've had 46 NH & VT winters, I would adapt to the summer heat if it meant fishing, boating and golfing year round... and never shoveling again.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:55 AM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
He's been a troll in this forum ever since he inquired about NH, and he's no different now that he's leaving. Why go to a state forum and say you're glad you're leaving and enumerating what you consider to be the state's flaws? Note that he was warned about winter, RE prices, and taxes before he moved here and he chose to dismiss everything we said. Hopefully the door won't hit him on his way out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire