Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 08:57 PM

540 posts, read 589,471 times

Advertisements

We've enjoyed our stay here in NH, but it's time to go.
Went to south Florida on vacation and fell in love. Had a job interview while we were there and got an offer the next day. More pay, day shift, brand new hospital. $3000 relocation bonus. I can drive my fun car and fish year round. No sand and salt on the roads to worry about. No vehicle inspection whatsoever. Still no state income tax and way lower property taxes. Homes aren't outrageously priced either. Bought a beautiful 2006 home while we were there as well. 2400 square foot open concept for under 200K less than 20 miles from beautiful beaches with palm trees swaying, sea turtles and turquoise water.
I much rather enjoy the thought of sipping frozen drinks on a tropical beach in January vs shoveling snow.
We don't regret moving to NH for a second though. It definitely was an adventure. NH is a beautiful state and the people are very nice. One winter of our cars taking a massive beating and the cabin fever were enough to say no more of this. Colonial homes are just not our style (coming from so cal), housing prices and property taxes are outrageous. Vehicle inspections are for the birds
Enjoyed our time here and I thank you all for your hospitality, but it's time to move on and get the tint reinstalled and the front license plates and catalytic converters removed
Best of luck to you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 09:01 PM

500 posts, read 636,212 times
Grass is always greener. I could have moved anywhere in the U.S. and chose NH. Enjoy the humidity of Florida this summer! I'll be swimming in pristine gatorless, pythonless lakes while basking in dry 75-90 degree weather .

Old 05-13-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviDunn View Post
Grass is always greener. I could have moved anywhere in the U.S. and chose NH. Enjoy the humidity of Florida this summer! I'll be swimming in pristine gatorless, pythonless lakes while basking in dry 75-90 degree weather .
Have fun with that LeviDunn. You'll have to deal with humidity as well. We'll be swimming in our gatorless, pythonless pool ALL YEAR. And this winter I'll be having a pina colada on the beach while you're balls deep in snow and road salt while it's 20 below romping through pot holes in a rusty car
Have fun getting raped on crooked vehicle inspection system this year as well.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:17 PM

500 posts, read 636,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dross99_si View Post
Have fun with that LeviDunn. You'll have to deal with humidity as well. We'll be swimming in our gatorless, pythonless pool ALL YEAR. And this winter I'll be having a pina colada on the beach while you're balls deep in snow and road salt while it's 20 below romping through pot holes in a rusty car
Have fun getting raped on crooked vehicle inspection system this year as well.
I hope I'm balls deep in snow while I fly down the slopes on my snowboard. Inspections suck but are no biggy if your car is new or you lease.

Pot holes, well, I won't defend those. Or frost heaves.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:26 PM

LOL. I hear you. We've boarded religiously for 20+ years and are over it now. There are pros and cons to any place. For us right now it's where we want to be.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:41 PM

557 posts, read 606,824 times
South Florida? Oooof, good luck with that. I lived there for 3 years and after the honeymoon wore off it was awful. People there are horrible, traffic sucks (I got stuck in traffic at 3am once), people can't drive worth a crap, and the weather 10 months out of the year was awful. Plus bugs, mold, hurricanes, endless strip malls, no native culture, etc etc etc.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpounder View Post
South Florida? Oooof, good luck with that. I lived there for 3 years and after the honeymoon wore off it was awful. People there are horrible, traffic sucks (I got stuck in traffic at 3am once), people can't drive worth a crap, and the weather 10 months out of the year was awful. Plus bugs, mold, hurricanes, endless strip malls, no native culture, etc etc etc.
Yup. Traffic, strip malls and non natives are very familiar to me. Remember, I did come from Los Angeles less than a year ago
As are the Spanish/Mediterranean-stlye houses with tile roof, stucco and open concept. No boxed off colonials for me.
Property taxes? Cut em in half. Prices of homes? Forget about it.
I can't even buy a complete dump here in NH for the price I paid for a gorgeous home down there. Super close to the beach. Tons of beaches with beautiful water. That I can enjoy EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR.
Mold, you have plenty of that here in NH as well. Bugs too. Oh, hello black fly as I type this.
Hurricanes yes but what can you do.. It's either that or noreasters, earthquakes, tornados, tsunamis, etc..
No matter where you live it's always gonna be something.
My #1 hobbies are my cars & fishing. Both of which suffer for pretty much to half the damn year.

Last edited by Dross99_si; 05-13-2017 at 11:17 PM..

Old 05-13-2017, 09:57 PM

557 posts, read 606,824 times
I lived through two hurricanes down there and they make a nor'easter look like child's play. But to each their own, we'll see what you think after about a year or so.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:02 PM

385 posts, read 345,658 times
Good luck, Dross99_si. I have lived that life for 27 years and am trading it in for a "boxed off" colonial up in NH. I will admit, Florida was a fun adventure at first but the sameness every day/week/month/year has worn thin. That said, if everyone dreamed of the same place, it would be a very crowded place indeed!

Old 05-13-2017, 10:05 PM

It's the price you pay to live in paradise. Don't regret moving to NH as it really helped me figure out what I want and don't want. Now I'm ready to go.
For people that grew up in New England this is what feels like home to them. To me this is far from what I'm used to. It has it's pro and cons. Unfortunately for me the the cons have taken their toll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire