Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 11:16 AM

62 posts, read 55,243 times

Advertisements

Hello all:

My husband and I will likely retire in the next year or so. We like the idea of a planned community where we will easily meet other "transplants" and have lots of activities available to us. He is a skier, canoeist, kayaker and golfer; I like tennis. We really want a mountainous (we are coming from the Midwest, so they so they don't have to be huge ) backdrop for our view, on a lake if possible. Budget/taxes are not an issue. I really want a lock-and-leave type of community because we plan to travel and to have another home to escape to in the winter. I am tired of gardening and shoveling so prefer a place with such maintenance provided.

Our trip is likely to begin in Burlington and then head east to New Hampshire to see Eastman. Based on research here I checked out New London and like what I see at The Seasons on the Lake Sunapee Country Club, if that gives anyone a sense of my style.

I also hope to spend a night or two at the Omni Mt. Washington Resort if I can stomach the prices. Any community up that way you could recommend?

Finally, we have close relatives in Portland ME, very good friends in Boston, Albany, CT and RI so this might be a better choice for us than other cities. Thank you for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 09:25 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,209,432 times
Quote:
The Seasons on the Lake Sunapee Country Club, if that gives anyone a sense of my style.
I know someone that lives there. Very nice - pricey, but nice. You get what you pay for and will be hard pressed to find something similar in a location near what's it's near. Eastman will be more affordable but you will give up location.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:31 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Try Waterville Valley.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:01 AM

346 posts, read 358,179 times
I heard the construction of the housing in Eastman was poor.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:14 PM

278 posts, read 655,907 times
How about Riverfront, rather than Lakefront? Right on the banks of the CT River is Kendall at Hanover Retirement Community. The other side of the river bank is VT. You can relax and not have to worry about chores, or your future healthcare needs. Kendal at Hanover | A Kendal Affiliate

If you have friends in Portland, consider Piper Shores. An oceanfront retirement community immediately South of Portland, ME. https://www.pipershores.org/

Or you can split the difference between Portland and Boston and retire to Riverwoods at Exeter. Although not waterfront, Riverwoods is one of the only accredited arboretums in NH. RiverWoods Retirement Community - Exeter, New Hampshire CCRC

All three three of these retirement communities are Lifecare communities, which means 90% your entrance fee is refundable to your estate (or you if you decided to move out).

Old 06-12-2017, 02:21 PM
KCZ

4,662 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativenewenglander View Post
I heard the construction of the housing in Eastman was poor.

I think that's a bit of a generalization, but most of the units were built as second homes, and there appears to have been an expectation that people would accept floor plans and materials that they might not tolerate in a primary residence. In addition, because of the seasonal use, I think there's an abundance of deferred maintenance issues. I looked at ~8 units and rejected them, particularly after finding that few of them have garages. The HOA there is very picky and it takes an act of God and the Supreme Court to get permission to make any additions or changes outside. CG Shepard Realty in Grantham is pretty knowledgeable about the properties for sale.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:35 PM

62 posts, read 55,243 times
Sorry I haven't responded to your comments. The trip got put on hold but is now back on the calendar for late September.

We are in our early 60's and do not want a continuing care type of facility. Perhaps when we are 70+ and then we will choose one near at least one of our children. For now, we want to enjoy our freedom.

We are planning to stay in Meredith looking at a resort community called Meredith Bay. Townhomes and condos with lots of amenities and lake views. Also checking out Burlington for more urban action. If you can recommend any other places we might check out I'd appreciate the feedback.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:52 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
I don't think that there is an abundance of resort communities in New Hampshire as there are in Florida or in the Pocono Mountains of northeast PA. Meredith Bay on Lake Winnipesaukee apparently is one of the few that has gated entry, an amenity that you'll want if you intend to do a lot of travelling and don't want to worry about break ins. If you're hesitant about paying the room price at the Omni Mount Washington, the home prices at Meredith Bay will leave you shell shocked.

An ex girlfriend's Boston area family (this was in the 70s) divided their play time between a townhouse in Lincoln, NH (for skiing) and a condo apartment in Dennis Port on Cape Cod. I just don't think that Boston folks go in for big resort communities with lots of activities as people in Brooklyn (not Brookline) do.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:19 PM
KCZ

4,662 posts, read 3,658,309 times
You might want to look at Grouse Point in Meredith as well. It's a gated community with lots of amenities, but it's $$$. South Down Shores in Laconia is similar but less exclusive.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:41 PM

6,568 posts, read 6,732,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary_228 View Post
Sorry I haven't responded to your comments. The trip got put on hold but is now back on the calendar for late September.

We are in our early 60's and do not want a continuing care type of facility. Perhaps when we are 70+ and then we will choose one near at least one of our children. For now, we want to enjoy our freedom.

We are planning to stay in Meredith looking at a resort community called Meredith Bay. Townhomes and condos with lots of amenities and lake views. Also checking out Burlington for more urban action. If you can recommend any other places we might check out I'd appreciate the feedback.
Meredith Bay is excellent. Right downtown. They have single homes & condos. There are medical personal on site for some of the residents. Has a little bit of everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire