Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 02:05 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,527,212 times

Advertisements

Well today was a bust ( but I guess any day riding right? )
My video recording skills SUCKED , like swamp water on a humid airless day. Absolutely nothing worthy of salvage to make a production out of ..several vids of the glasses inside the tank bag.. luckily it has a good time duration.
Ok So as this vid says I stopped by the Original Smokey Goodness in Barrington Nh today to sample their interpretation of what is smokey goodness..
First the folks there were bend over backwoods nice and for 24 bucks i got for meats two sides a ginger ale and as you will see by the pic the platter ain't small.. CAUTION!! This is not on the menu, I had to wheel and deal to get the smaller portion of what they call Noahs Ark of some such thing.
So where shall we start..how bout the brisket..It will please the southern boys out there that you have nothing to worry bout. There were tidbits of tastiness, but no hint of tenderness. and fat..lots of fat.. most joints would probably have thrown that piece away rather than be judged by it. There are a number of BBQ places in the area that do it better.
Pulled pork is standard NH style, stingy and kind of dry, it is slightly sauced but not offensively so, in fact even the side sauce was rather bland as sauces go.
Ribs..Dry..dry..and dry..overcooked, lots of bone little meat.. not good, except for one delicious morsel in the middle that told me with some finesse these folks might be able to putt off a good rack.
I dunno maybe it's me, maybe I am too egotistical in this regard, but I make the best damn smoked chicken I have ever tasted.. easily better than even my top two joints in the area, so every bird is judged by that
rigid standard, and it is no surprise this chicken failed. All the meats I tasted were smoked and the chicken was no exception, it just didn't taste it
though. The chicken was also the only offering that had a slightly spicy
sauce, as if to try and make up for that fact..it didn't.
I only tried two sides the beans and coleslaw .. the latter was good and the former too thick.. two pcs of house cured bacon were thrown in.. over cooking pork seems to be rampant here as the bacon was both hard and dry.
You could spend you food money far worse at one of NH's bbq joints, but you could spend it a lot better too. But hey, this is just one guy's review.. as always try it yourself and draw your own conclusions..
The ride itself was kind of lonely.. I missed my riding companion, and her supplemental video and picture taking skills

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyBq...ature=youtu.be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 11:56 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,585,423 times
I enjoyed the travelogue - thanks for posting!

Old 03-30-2017, 07:19 AM

152 posts, read 133,736 times
I live in the Keene area and just tried Jim Eddies. It's probably the best BBQ place I have been. I love there cheese fries with pull pork. We've been a couple of times and tried a variety of foods and everything taste so good. There baked beans are awesome..

Old 03-30-2017, 08:37 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,370,266 times
FYI - the Smokey Goodness restaurant in Barrington that Dave originally reviewed in this post closed for good just before Christmas. I agree with Dave. That place was not very good, and now their doors are closed. BBQ is the only thing I miss about Texas.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:15 AM

500 posts, read 629,800 times
Try this place if you are ever out in SW part of state.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:32 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,535,732 times
If you ever fancy a ride across the river, Big Fatty's BBQ in White River Junction VT is excellent.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:45 PM

152 posts, read 133,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviDunn View Post
That place is in the middle of nowhere. I wonder how they will survive?

Old 03-30-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the tip, I will add it to my list along with Hickory Stix in Londonderry and Gabis also in Londonderry

Old 03-30-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RunnerDude View Post
I live in the Keene area and just tried Jim Eddies. It's probably the best BBQ place I have been. I love there cheese fries with pull pork. We've been a couple of times and tried a variety of foods and everything taste so good. There baked beans are awesome..
Well their ribs look like they would be worth a trip to find out ..from their FB page

Old 04-10-2017, 01:34 PM

133 posts, read 557,080 times
Quote:
I made it out there over the weekend.

Let me say that I really, really want to see this place and others like it succeed.
Alstead and its surrounding towns need more locally owned bars and restaurants. Hell, more businesses in general..
That said, if your going to make it out there you have to give the people something worth coming back for.
It can't be just so so or people won't make the effort.

The restaurant is in a small plaza right on Rt 123 (great motorcycle road by the way). It sits between a laundry mat and a Gun shop and across the street from a Kawasaki dealer (I think its farm equipment, tractors, 4-wheelers and stuff)
Easy enough to see it from the road..

They did a nice job on the inside. It's small (maybe 8 tables?) but cozy/comfortable. Done like you would expect a BBQ place to look like. Barn board, tin signs, etc.. and very clean.

It was Saturday around 6pm. There where two families seated and having dinner when we got there.
The wait staff is quick and friendly.. Very attentive, Our waitress made sure to explain how everything was prepped and prepared from sauces and smoke and on the rest.. Excellent service.
The chef came out at one point to check on things as well.

The food.
Excellent BBQ chicken. They use thigh meat only and smoke it with pecan wood. I'm always skeptical about ordering chicken anywhere because I hate dry food in general. This was delicious.

The BBQ pork and brisket where okay good. Not great but good.
They prepare all there meat sauce free so you can taste the smoky flavor and add more or less with there home made sauces (more on sauces later). I actually like it better that way then dripping with BBQ sauce and hiding any other flavor.

The Ribs...Sadly I have to say I didn't like the ribs. My combo place came with a small serving of St Louis baby back style ribs that I was told just came out. They where dry to the bone and not a lot of flavor.

Sides

Cool Cucumber Salad. Very tasty. A little zippy. My wife and I both liked it.

Cole slaw. A bit runny. Not very crisp but eatable.

Mac N Cheese. Excellent. You can tell its home made. Made with ziti rather than the traditional elbow macaroni, cheesy but not goopy.

Dessert

Pecan cheese cake. Another home run.It was really good with a cup of coffee.

They also serve breakfast. Brisket and eggs sound like a winner.

Sadly, they don't serve alcohol or at least I didn't see any. I know it won't matter to some but I do love a beer with BBQ.

Please try and support this place if you can. It's only been open since November and just getting off the ground. From what I saw it's going in the right direction and will only get better.

Anyway, that's my take on it..

OH, I forgot about the sauces. They have 3
1- Beer base, light and tangy
2- Red Chilies, not to hot but spicy
3- Traditional brown sauce, like Sweet Baby Ray's or Jack Daniels BBQ sauces

I thought the beer base yellow sauce was nice and light and favored the chicken well.
The Red sauce was also good and I liked it on the heavier meat.
I'm not a fan of traditional sauces all that much so it isn't fair for me to say I didn't like it. I'm sure if you enjoy the others I mentioned you would like this one.
I give them a lot of credit for making the extra effort involved to make "HOME MADE" food. Its getting harder and harder to come by.

Last edited by Eddy G; 04-10-2017 at 01:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire