Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 05:58 AM

16 posts, read 13,438 times

Advertisements

We have a fairly good size hedgehog living underneath our front porch. We understand they can cause damage there and would like to get rid of him. How to go about this? We would like to catch him alive, cart him off somewhere like 20 miles away and set him free. Is this doable? Is there a trap for something like that and where would we purchase it?

Would really appreciate some advice!

Thank you all and have a great Sunday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 06:33 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,345,112 times
Groundhogs / Woodchucks can move a LOT of earth!
There is likely a substantial excavation going on under your porch right now.
In NH you can set a trap and relocate it (not allowed in MA).
I've had good luck with wire traps from any home center and baiting them with apple slices.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:20 AM

557 posts, read 606,352 times
A hedgehog? Are you sure that is what kind of animal you have under there? If so, it must have escaped from someone that had it as a pet illegally.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:29 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,669,274 times
Wink Dinsdale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjo22 View Post
We have a fairly good size hedgehog living underneath our front porch
Pretty sure you don't mean hedgehog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
Groundhogs / Woodchucks can move a LOT of earth!
There is likely a substantial excavation going on under your porch right now. In NH you can set a trap and relocate it (not allowed in MA). I've had good luck with wire traps from any home center and baiting them with apple slices.
Woodchuck can be difficult to trap, it's never fun to put out a trap for woodchuck and in the morning you find a raccoon, porcupine, or skunk instead.

Even where it's legal to relocate, there are rules, you can't just go releasing your problem groundhog on somebody else's private property. It's also not necessarily more humane to relocate. See more here, and also in this old thread.

New Hampshire has an open season on groundhog/woodchuck; you do not need a hunting license to eliminate problem woodchuck on your own property. They are tough critters, takes more than your average WalMart airgun to drop one of these little bundles of muscle.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 06-25-2017 at 11:48 AM..

Old 06-25-2017, 12:20 PM

16 posts, read 13,438 times
It is a groundhog. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:16 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,345,112 times
I've never shot one myself but two friends of mine have had luck with air rifles.
Btw... Trapping isn't usually a problem, it's when you release them. There's plenty of tricks on youtube etc on how to open a trap remotely. I used to stake the trap and run a rope from the door, over a branch then back to where I could be safely away. Never had one turn towards me.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:24 PM

557 posts, read 606,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjo22 View Post
It is a groundhog. Sorry for the confusion.
Makes much more sense. Get a hav-a-hart and google what kind of bait you should use and you'll have him in no time. You won't need to go 20 miles, 5 or so should be fine.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:12 PM

346 posts, read 358,361 times
I just got one off our property, using a trick I tired several years ago. Take two 5 lb bags of used cat litter dump it into the hole water in with 10 gallons of water repeat if needed, but one dose should do it. The ground hog should leave immediately.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:08 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,161,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
New Hampshire has an open season on groundhog/woodchuck; you do not need a hunting license to eliminate problem woodchuck on your own property. They are tough critters, takes more than your average WalMart airgun to drop one of these little bundles of muscle.
My husband, dogs and the neighbor's oldest son are constantly killing the groundhogs in the back lot. The dogs especially enjoy grabbing one by the neck and giving it a hard shake to break its neck.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:52 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,669,274 times
Talking Now I kinda wish we had hedgehogs, the cutest of invasive species, like little chibi porcupines

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
My husband, dogs and the neighbor's oldest son are constantly killing the groundhogs in the back lot. The dogs especially enjoy grabbing one by the neck and giving it a hard shake to break its neck.
good for them, but watch out for lice, fleas and ticks -- groundhogs are a reservoir for Lyme, Powassan, etc.

I'm fine with groundhogs(woodchuck) out in the woods, but when they start tearing up rock walls, gardens, and undermining foundations, it's game on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire