Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 08:13 PM

66 posts, read 297,916 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone and thanks for all the great postings. Question for you: on Google maps it is 31 miles from Nashua to Lexington, MA and it says it takes 45 minutes. How long would it really take to commute in rush hour from Nashua to Lexington? I'm looking at a job in Lexington, MA and wondering if I would just be spending my life in traffic and not really be able to get any time to venture north to enjoy the quality of life in NH? Also, how friendly is Nashua area to newcomers? Would kids and wife find friends easily, they are all socially active and friendly themselves? Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2006, 07:47 AM

59 posts, read 277,657 times
Nashua is similar to Manchester. I think it's worse.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:39 AM

When you say worse, how do you mean? Commute or people?

Old 12-06-2006, 10:43 AM

My mother works in Nashua, lives in Manchester. It's about 21 miles and takes her at least 50 minutes one way. The further south you go, the more congested the traffic becomes. Trains pass through downtown Nashua all day long (always during rush hour of course!), and traffic backs up for miles. The highway isn't bad, but trying to exit during rush hour traffic isn't fun. Also, like I mentioned in the PM, driving in Mass is never pleasant!!

I can't say much for the people in Nashua. I chaperone the children's Christmas parties for my mother's company every year, so I've met hundreds of people who live in Nashua. I can't categorize the entire city based on these employees, but most are immigrants who don't (or won't) speak english. Again, I can't categorize, but I feel like an outsider in Nashua.

So, IMO the traffic and the people are worse.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:00 AM

So, basically if I read between the lines, to really experience NH, we would need to find a NH job and move up further north, otherwise I would just be trading traffic for traffic. Work in Manchester or Concord and live in outlying towns seems to be what I'm reading or it's really like living in Mass. We are trying to get away from all the traffic, congestion and urban sprawl, not just make an even trade. Do you think it's worth making the step in increments? For example, living in Nashua, working in Mass, for 1-2 years until I found the right employment up in NH? For I am finding the salaries are less the further north you go and there seems to be a lot less employment opportunity. It may take some time to find the right job and it seems employers always prefer state residents.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:29 AM

Sorry if I'm not helping as much as I think I am

I live in Manchester, and have all my life. I worked in Concord for a long time. The commute was 20 minutes tops. I don't find the traffic in Manchester or Concord to be bad at all, but traveling north of Manchester is much easier than traveling south. I personally wouldn't live in Nashua or work in Mass.

As far as salaries go, we don't have an income tax in NH. If you live in NH and work in Mass you'll have to pay federal income tax and Mass state income tax. So basically salaries in NH are less than Mass no matter where in NH you look, but it costs us less to work in NH.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:54 AM

4 posts, read 22,152 times
Default Commute time....

Depends on where in Nashua you are located.
Southern tip (Exit 1-4), it will take about 40 minutes. The recent construction on route 3 has alleviated a lot of the traffic issues.

For example:
Lived off Exit 1 (pre-construction) and worked in Burlington, MA (about 18 miles - Lexington is close to there - about 10 mies or so) - some days it would take over an hour to get home.

Post Construction - takes less than 25 minutes....

Nagaho

Old 12-17-2006, 09:55 PM

Default Commute time from Nashua to Lexington

Just 25 minutes. That's now bad at all. Right now the Wash.D.C. beltway can take up to an hour and a half to get to work. 25 minutes would be heavenly. What part of Nashua are you commuting from (community name)? and what is it like there? Thanks for the info.

Old 01-01-2007, 01:47 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,686,730 times
We live in Merrimack and worked in Mass for years (Lexington).
Commute was crazy, but do-able. And that was before more lanes were added on Rt. 3. I worked in Salem, and it took close to an hour to get there as well. If you must work in MA, living in NH is worth the drive, in my opinion.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 6,492 times
Hi everyone,

I am thinking of moving to Nashua. I work in Waltham, MA. If I leave around 7:45 or so, how long would my commute be down RT 3? I already know about 12 8/95, so no need to address that. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire