Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2017, 10:32 AM

16 posts, read 31,526 times

Advertisements

We are struggling to decide where to live in NH.
Love the lakes region but some schools score better than others and usually those towns are harder to find property.
I'd say the lake region is out first choice but other places like Derry and Bedford make the list too.

I've asked some people and when we went to visit spoke with people in the areas. Most all seem to agree all the schools are good. It's just a question of commute and how close you like to be to others and amenities.

Are there any towns or schools we should be leary of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 11:04 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,547 times
The state is so diverse with in-town, suburban, and rural living, that it's hard to guess where to point you. What kind of things are you hoping to do? How old are your kids? What sports and activities do they need/want? Where are you working?

Strictly for convenience and so-as not to waste hours commuting, I'd live as close to work and school as possible.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:36 AM
KCZ

4,673 posts, read 3,665,713 times
I'd also avoid towns with high property taxes and long drives to the amenities you want. When looking at driving times, remember to factor in additional time in the winter. Where are you moving from?

Old 07-11-2017, 03:35 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
Question what are your criteria? I don't know of any towns that I would outright redline.

Other than schools, what are your criteria? Do you commute to work? Do you need acreage?

The obvious answer is to look for property with the features you want, at a cost you can afford, including total cost of ownership (not just property tax -- heating, upkeep, etc).

Most towns have their budgets, board of selectmen agenda, and other details published on a website or at least available in town hall. If you're undecided, you can learn a lot from looking at how the town is run.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:42 PM

16 posts, read 31,526 times
Thank you everyone, currently we are two hours south of st Louis MO. We will be commuting to work, neither of us has a definitive job in NH just yet. We have been talking about renting but hate the idea of bouncing our 8 yr old from one school to another if we find a home in a different school districts then where we rent.

We are not big into sports but more into things like gymnastics, martial arts, possibly music or computer classes.

The whole southern part of the state seems great.
Franklin and Tilton were a bit less rejuvenated looking.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:01 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
While the houses are expensive and the property taxes high, the schools are top tier and it has expressway connections to the Mass High Tech areas and bus service to downtown Boston. The town is the essence of suburban living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire