Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 07:51 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,874,458 times

Advertisements

Consider this....the change of seasons is such a beautiful thing.The first snow is almost magical....everything is white and clean,even winter blizzards are exciting as long as you're prepared.Spring is also wonderful.The first leaves popping up ,birds and butterfies appear,everything is fresh and clean.Summers are awesome in NH.Warm days but cool nights with just a few days of occaisional oppressive heat.Always a nice breeze in the mountains and lots of lakes,rivers and streams to take a refreshing dip.Fall is also nice in NH.Foliage is remarkable and the first cool nights are so nice with cozy fire in your woodstove or fireplace.So nice to work and play outside in the refreshing weather.
Two months are a little blah....November is a little bleak with trees bare,no snow yet and not much to do outside for recreation.Also March.....snow is melting but nothing is blooming yet.We call it mud season because many dirt roads get that way with all the melting snow and occaisional rain
We love it here...not to say that we don't like a nice winter trip to Florida but wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 08:34 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Pokesmom, you still haven't given us a clue as to what you can or intend to spend on a house. Are you interested in Littleton because house prices there are a bit cheaper than central and southern NH?

I was going to suggest Lebanon and surrounding areas because of the Dartmouth Hitchcock medical complex. There are always openings for nurses there. If you have a nursing specialty, that's the place I'd want to be. Because of the DH hospitals and Dartmouth U., that area's housing costs are high.

If you are willing to commute, Claremont and Newport have much cheaper R.E prices. They're both about 20 miles away.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:55 AM
KCZ

4,675 posts, read 3,667,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokesmom View Post
Thanks to everyone who has replied. I’m diligently taking notes with suggestions! Although I’m sure the winters in Appalachia are not as bad as NH, but I always feel like the argument of “but...snow” is kinda condescending ��.
I honestly wonder what happens when people say they want to move to Arizona or Florida? Do people say to them “you won’t be able to stand the heat. Or the humidity. You’re not used to it and will move in a year.”
My cousin has lived in Alaska for 15 years (grew up in Miami). My aunt in Baltimore and D.C. for 30.
They are still alive to talk about it. Half of the country (or at least a third) is under snow for part of the year. I am 110 percent aware of the clouds, gray, snow and ice. Digging my car out. Sliding down hills and trying not to crap my pants....
I won’t be renting because I have 2 large dogs, three cats and 2 teenagers. Very hard to find a landlord willing to rent with that kind of baggage.
We’ve also considered Cedar Rapids, IA but it doesn’t have the mountains I miss. It’s still on my list though. Vermont is another one. My friend lives there and loves it.
Again, thanks for the suggestions!
We don't mean to be condescending, but we've seen people from other parts of the country buy a house and move here, totally convinced they're prepared to deal with NH winters and not heeding recommendations to rent, then turn tail and run after their first winter while trying to unload the house. Please take our words in the spirit they were intended, as good advice born of past observations. If you think "but snow" is the only issue, you'll be surprised, hopefully pleasantly so for your whole family.

I can see how with the kids and critters, buying looks like a better option for you.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:36 PM

605 posts, read 624,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
.Summers are awesome in NH.Warm days but cool nights with just a few days of occaisional oppressive heat.Always a nice breeze in the mountains and lots of lakes,rivers and streams to take a refreshing dip..
This may be the story that's told to tourists, but it's romanticized and not realistic. It may have been true 50 years ago, but not with global warming. In central NH I use air conditioning from May through October. In recent years the few times I've attempted to camp in the White Mountains in the summer the weather was hot, sticky, windless, and miserable, so I go in the fall. This year and last year I had to delay my fall vacation due to heat waves across New England in mid to late September. Smaller lakes aren't refreshing, they're unpleasantly warm and harbor bacteria. I don't even swim in my local lake for that reason; I go to the larger lakes. There will come a day when new settlers will seek out Northern NH, driven there by heat. These climate changes have already impacted the NH economy---skiing, maple syrup, and foliage. So I think the OP should fear heat more than winter cold, and maybe her idea of Littleton isn't so bad.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:55 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
You are now back-pedaling by saying it's an "individual thing", And it's extremely misleading for you to make those comments in the first place by not immediately being upfront about having blood pressure issues and a hole in your heart.
I'm not back peddling at all. I made a post that said it was an individual reaction to the cold..Do you even know what you're talking about.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:00 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokesmom View Post
Thanks to everyone who has replied. I’m diligently taking notes with suggestions! Although I’m sure the winters in Appalachia are not as bad as NH, but I always feel like the argument of “but...snow” is kinda condescending ��.
I honestly wonder what happens when people say they want to move to Arizona or Florida? Do people say to them “you won’t be able to stand the heat. Or the humidity. You’re not used to it and will move in a year.”
My cousin has lived in Alaska for 15 years (grew up in Miami). My aunt in Baltimore and D.C. for 30.
They are still alive to talk about it. Half of the country (or at least a third) is under snow for part of the year. I am 110 percent aware of the clouds, gray, snow and ice. Digging my car out. Sliding down hills and trying not to crap my pants....
I won’t be renting because I have 2 large dogs, three cats and 2 teenagers. Very hard to find a landlord willing to rent with that kind of baggage.
We’ve also considered Cedar Rapids, IA but it doesn’t have the mountains I miss. It’s still on my list though. Vermont is another one. My friend lives there and loves it.
Again, thanks for the suggestions!
Have you been in the Florida forums. That's actually exactly what happens. Don't you see the droves of posts from people who moved down and after a year or two leave cause they "miss the seasons" or " can't take the heat", or "there's too many bugs" etc. They are blinded thinking they're going to going to the beach every day, having drinks by the water, sunbathing at Christmas. Reality hits and the find the extremely high cost of living, endless (and merciless heat and humidity), terrible traffic in season, hurricanes and so on. They do like I did, go from NE, back to Fla and now NC. Half-backs.

When I moved to NH from Naples, Fl I swore I would NEVER leave. I mean I couldn't wait for winter there, I took videos, and blogged and bought all the fancy gear and I was revved up like no one else on this board. I had visited 3-4 times prior for 2 1/2 weeks at a time to from Nov-Jan before making the jump. It just so happened the year before I moved was one of the most mild winters they'd had. Barely any snow. I thought "that's it? No biggie" I moved there in June '07 and the day after Christmas we decided no more. Haven't been back to a NH winter since and its been 10 years.

I think these people are trying to give you fair warning. They've seen the likes of the mistakes I made over and over and over again.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:13 PM

605 posts, read 624,888 times
Sweetbottoms, you're right about the variation in winter conditions from one year to the next. In the last decade we've seen everything from extreme snow totals to raking lawns in December. I do find some winters unbearable in terms of the physical labor. There were a couple of years when we shoveled snow almost every day for weeks. Snowplowing is expensive and they tend to tear up your lawn.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:05 PM

27 posts, read 32,605 times
The problem isn't the weather, COL, diversity, jobs, etc.

The problem is: some people have a difficult time adjusting to new environments. Oddly enough, some people have a difficult time embracing change, life, happiness.

I know, it sounds corny. However, as the saying goes, "To thy own self be true."

This is the fifth state I have lived in. It's the most northern (and coldest) state. I moved here - first time on the East Coast - and bought a house (moved from the phoenix area). I haven't looked back, the people are nice, the culture, history, seasons, wildlife. I LOVE hiking in the winter!

So yes, there are people who don't or won't like it here. I'm curious, how old must you be to 1) know yourself and 2) take responsibility for your decision's.

Unhappy people will always be unhappy. Life is short, move and buy a house - I did and have and I couldn't be happier. Just make sure to leave your preconceived notions about how you lived elsewhere and embrace NH

Old 10-29-2017, 08:06 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Sweetbottoms, I have to say that one of your videos is among my all-time favorites--the Halloween video of the Keene Pumpkin Festival with the song from Nightmare Before Christmas. GREAT video - especially this week. Do you still have a link for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
When I moved to NH from Naples, Fl I swore I would NEVER leave. I mean I couldn't wait for winter there, I took videos, and blogged and bought all the fancy gear and I was revved up like no one else on this board. I had visited 3-4 times prior for 2 1/2 weeks at a time to from Nov-Jan before making the jump. It just so happened the year before I moved was one of the most mild winters they'd had. Barely any snow. I thought "that's it? No biggie" I moved there in June '07 and the day after Christmas we decided no more. Haven't been back to a NH winter since and its been 10 years.

I think these people are trying to give you fair warning. They've seen the likes of the mistakes I made over and over and over again.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:39 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
We have been here full time for 30+ years and have noticed quite a warming. For instance we did not have peaches growing in our orchards back them and do now. We are also getting more rain later in the Fall with the extreme deviation of Snowbury (February) when we had four 2 ft. storms on each weekend of the month a couple of years ago. That one "drove" us to a New Mexico hot spring vacation in April. As if we needed an excuse.

As far as mountain tows I suggest the Monadnock region west of Nashua and East of Keene. Peterborough is the largest town in the area and is simply beautiful. there are also smaller towns in the region. Get a DeLorme Atlas and study it. Lots of really great information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire