Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 12:16 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,117,394 times

Advertisements

Compared to Chicago suburbs.

I immediately noticed there's lots of white people everywhere.

The roads are really nice (probably due to less traffic and we didn't see many trucks)

Beautiful trees and crisp fresh air.

Went to a gun store and you can look at pistols with no ID or FOID card. Rows and rows of rifles and shotguns to pick up and inspect.

I noticed the people are much nicer and drivers are much much more considerate.

The airport security line takes 5 minutes and renting/returning a car is a breeze.

Much MUCH better quality of life it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 02:49 PM
KCZ

4,662 posts, read 3,657,222 times
Those things are all true, but some of them seem rather odd to use to make a conclusion about quality of life.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:06 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,731,511 times
Did you fly into Lebanon or Boston? Boston isn't exactly a low key place to get in and out of.

Not that traffic is bad at all, but with such a light population I was surprised to see so many cars on the roads in the upper valley. Maybe East coast city folks heading north to escape the rat race.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:50 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,665,340 times
No comparision between NH and Chicagoland. Surprised OP didn't mention the retail sales tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Did you fly into Lebanon or Boston? Boston isn't exactly a low key place to get in and out of.
TIL: Lebanon not only has car rental/return, they've got both kinds -- Avis and Hertz.

Boston is a pain, but Londonderry (Manchester) is pretty fast and easy to get in and out of. And you can stock up on booze on the secure side of the airport -- same price as in town.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post

Not that traffic is bad at all, but with such a light population I was surprised to see so many cars on the roads in the upper valley. Maybe East coast city folks heading north to escape the rat race.
Flew into Manchester. Oh ya I forgot no sales tax right! Another bonus. IL stinks!

Old 10-31-2017, 06:05 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,548,221 times
I fly in and out of Manchester whenever I can, it's exactly the right size for convenience.

This area is hard to beat. I live in the Upper Valley and traffic isn't rally an issue except for 12A around Christmas time and certain hours getting in and out of the Hospital and College areas.

I'm glad you liked our roads, I've never thought they were particularly great but I'm not seeing them through the lens of other areas either. Springtime can be pretty rough though, especially on the dirt roads, but our paved road take a real beating as well. Much of the "pretty" repaving is really just skim coats that don't have a lot of long term durability.

They certainly have done a lot of repaving in my area lately. This summer they repaved 2 of my favorite backroads: between Hartland and Woodstock, and between West Windsor and Hartland. Makes for a darn nice loop in the Miata. (I'm just on the VT side of the river)

I have 3 cars, which get progressively lower, so I try to match what I'm driving to where I'm going. Once winter hits, the Miata gets tucked away and I'm much happier in my 4Runner until May.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:25 AM

174 posts, read 231,655 times
Lived in NH for 20 years and now live back in WI where I grew up mainly for family. I have a daughter and her husband living in Chicago. I try not to go there as much as possible just hate the traffic and congestion. I would live in NH in a heartbeat for all the things the OP mentioned and way more. Just the proximity to the ocean, seafood, mountains and recreation is a treat. No sales tax and income tax is even better, I buy things in WI and I always wonder why the price is higher than what I thought--oh yeah the sales tax. In Chicago it is so outrageous that I am surprised anybody buys anything there.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:41 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,941,024 times
We always forget about sales tax too, until we are traveling and boy, it gets us every time. My son is now at school in Ohio, so we traveled thru a bunch of tax-heavy states when driving him west... and the tolls, Holy Moly! And he's irritated with it every time he goes shopping...

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Flew into Manchester. Oh ya I forgot no sales tax right! Another bonus. IL stinks!

Old 11-01-2017, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
I fly in and out of Manchester whenever I can, it's exactly the right size for convenience.

This area is hard to beat. I live in the Upper Valley and traffic isn't rally an issue except for 12A around Christmas time and certain hours getting in and out of the Hospital and College areas.

I'm glad you liked our roads, I've never thought they were particularly great but I'm not seeing them through the lens of other areas either. Springtime can be pretty rough though, especially on the dirt roads, but our paved road take a real beating as well. Much of the "pretty" repaving is really just skim coats that don't have a lot of long term durability.

They certainly have done a lot of repaving in my area lately. This summer they repaved 2 of my favorite backroads: between Hartland and Woodstock, and between West Windsor and Hartland. Makes for a darn nice loop in the Miata. (I'm just on the VT side of the river)

I have 3 cars, which get progressively lower, so I try to match what I'm driving to where I'm going. Once winter hits, the Miata gets tucked away and I'm much happier in my 4Runner until May.
Believe me. Your roads are a dream compared to chicago

Old 11-01-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINH View Post
Lived in NH for 20 years and now live back in WI where I grew up mainly for family. I have a daughter and her husband living in Chicago. I try not to go there as much as possible just hate the traffic and congestion. I would live in NH in a heartbeat for all the things the OP mentioned and way more. Just the proximity to the ocean, seafood, mountains and recreation is a treat. No sales tax and income tax is even better, I buy things in WI and I always wonder why the price is higher than what I thought--oh yeah the sales tax. In Chicago it is so outrageous that I am surprised anybody buys anything there.
Chicago and Cook (crook) county are outrageous. Legalized theft. A lot of folks do shopping in nearby counties
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire