Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 03:45 PM

607 posts, read 2,367,398 times

Advertisements

Trying this again as I blew the first post. If I was looking at a town to move to with the following qualities, what would it be. This list would be important is our decision to buy a house.

Walkable, well laid out downtown
Micro climate that would be would have the best seasons
Great middle and high schools nearby
Scenic
Attractive neighborhoods

And lastly, a town that people always comment on how appealing and enjoyable it is to visit.

Move would be from the West Coast, so if you had a couple of suggestions it would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 03:52 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
Trying this again as I blew the first post. If I was looking at a town to move to with the following qualities, what would it be. This list would be important is our decision to buy a house.

Walkable, well laid out downtown
Micro climate that would be would have the best seasons
Great middle and high schools nearby
Scenic
Attractive neighborhoods

And lastly, a town that people always comment on how appealing and enjoyable it is to visit.

Move would be from the West Coast, so if you had a couple of suggestions it would be appreciated.
If that was a real place everyone would live there. Sounds like you're looking for Mayberry... It doesn't exist.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:28 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Attractive neighborhoods
Don't think post gets New Hampshire.

Only in larger cities and towns are there "neighborhoods".
Most of New Hampshire is made up of rural towns. No real neighborhoods there. There may be a downtown where a mill once stood or open. Houses would be close to the mill as most mill workers walked to work.

Manchester, Nashua, Rochester, Durham, Dover and a few more may have homes with sidewalks and a downtown.

The rest is rural.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:53 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Maybe Exeter or Stratham? But, yeh, you don't really get a downtown anywhere. At most you get a town.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:44 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
There are not many true, walkable downtowns in New Hampshire, in addition to the few mentioned already in the thread: Manchester, Nashua. Concord, of course (our state capital and a great downtown, IMO). Derry. Keene (overrun with Keene State University every time I've visited). On or near the seacoast, you have Portsmouth, Dover & Exeter. Durham (mostly caters to the UNH students) and Dover. Does Rochester really have a downtown? I wasn't aware of that, but admittedly I seldom get to Rochester except to visit the Stonewall Kitchen outlet...

I'm particularly wondering about the microclimate that will have the best of seasons. Can you elaborate? I'm guessing you're not looking to be in one of the snowbelt communities (folks coming from the west coast are usually looking for warmer, not colder...) Being within a few miles of the seacoast can actually have a warming effect in the winter and lessen the chances of the jackpot storms. Residents can actually get a bit longer of a growing season compared to areas further north and west.

I'm also going to toss something out there that you may not have thought of: many towns (even those with a downtown) may or may not have services that you may (or may not) consider important. Would you consider a community that does not have trash pick up (you can usually contract with a hauler for private pick-up, or bring your trash & recyclables to the transfer station). Would you be OK with a private septic system & water from a private well, instead of public water & sewer from your town (private septic should be thoroughly inspected prior to any purchase, and private well water should have comprehensive testing, at purchase and every 2-3 years thereafter.

You may be looking for a utopia that may not exist in New Hampshire, but many towns in Massachusetts come to mind which may (depending on your budget) be to your liking...

Quote:

Towns that people comment on about being appealing & enjoyable... Top of the list would be Porsmouth, without a doubt. Amherst. Bedford. Concord. Londonderry. Exeter/Stratham. Durham. Many lakes region towns (Wolfeboro, Meredith). In the White Mountains, North Conway (there IS a downtown!)

Old 10-30-2017, 12:10 AM

489 posts, read 963,552 times
I need to follow this thread as I'd love to know where this nirvana exists.

-Mike

Old 10-30-2017, 03:09 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
Haha, I first read your response as "I'd love to know where this narnia exists"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ5150 View Post
I need to
follow this thread as I'd love to know where this nirvana exists.

-Mike

Old 10-30-2017, 09:05 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
I second Exeter.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:06 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
Do you have to work? I would recommend finding a housing location that is a reasonable commute to your employer.

If self-employed, what are the logistics or connectivity requirements for your job? High-speed internet, access to airports, etc.

Do you have a housing budget?

Old 10-30-2017, 02:05 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
I second Exeter.
Me three.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire