Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 10:59 AM

17 posts, read 20,077 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in SC and lived most of my life in the southeast (SC, TN, GA), before living 2 years in Japan while my wife was stationed there with the USN. At end of her deployment we relocated to MD for her to finish out her obligation with the Navy.

We do not currently have plans to move, but I've pondered relocating to New Hampshire in the future. We've never had the luxury of choosing where to live before, and we've both been attracted to New England for quite sometime. Vermont was our first thought (thanks, Newhart) but, dang, the oppressive taxes. When I discovered that right next door was NH who has one of the lowest overall tax burdens in the country, as well as being constitutional carry, it seemed like a no-brainer. All the pros, none of the cons. Neither of us are fans of the oppressive heat and humidity that we grew up with in SC and still deal with for prolonged periods in MD. I very much prefer cold and snow, so that's not a problem for me. I imagine we're probably idealizing life in New England a bit as we imagine strolling along Main St. with our children on a crisp fall afternoon as the wind blows leaves across the cobblestone streets and moose frolicking in our snow-covered front lawn in the winter.

My wife's a pediatrician, so she can move pretty much anywhere and get a job no problem. It would be a bit trickier for me. So that's a consideration we'll have to look into.

Enough background. How's the quality of life in New Hampshire?

Any areas of the state to particularly consider or not consider? We are NOT big city folks. We are currently in the DC area and pretty much hate it...too many people. Too much traffic. Exorbitant property cost. We are both attracted to a smaller town type setting where we could spread a bit (house on a few acres) but would like to be "conveniently" located to a larger town/city for shopping etc. I say "conveniently" b/c it takes 45 mins to an hour to get anywhere around the DC area, so a 30-45 minute drive to get to a town/city is no biggie.

If you enjoy living in NH, why? If you don't, why? For any folks who have relocated to NH, how have you liked it compared to where you moved from?

TIA and sorry for all the questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 11:33 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
I've been a NH resident for 18 years, and can honestly say that it is truly HOME for us. While I've been a lifelong New Englander (a Massachusetts resident for my first 25 years) we relocated to the middle of the county for several years, until opportunity came that allowed us to go HOME again... only thing was, Massachusetts didn't fit us anymore. Or maybe it was the other way around.

We chose Southern NH because of jobs proximity, at the time, my husband was commuting to Mass (like thousands of other people...) We liked the relative quiet of the town we settled in, but still wanted some nearby conveniences like grocery shopping choices, easy drive to the highway and decent medical options as well. We have had the need for better Boston hospitals a time or two, so being in the southern part of the state worked well for us.

Although you may enjoy brief bursts of colder weather (friends living in the south and Texas are FREEZING and have new respect for us northerners ) don't make the mistake of romanticizing our winters. When I get on my computer, I can share some members previous posts that clearly show that winter can be tough to get through, between the short hours of daylight and the cost of keeping our homes warm. I HIGHLY suggest that anyone who moves to NH try to remt for at least a full year, preferrably 2 full winters, because one can greatly differ from the last.

Now, despite all of that negativity, NH offers such beauty all 4 season that it can be TOTALLY worth every bit of griping. Yesterday & last night dropped 7 inches of wonderful white powder, PERFECT for x-country skiing this morning, under a brilliant blue, cloudless sky. Watching the breeze tease the powder down from the tall pines, feeling the clean, cold air and the absolute quiet of time in the woods & on the trail... THAT'S why we love to live in an area where sometimes it literally hurts your face to be outside (yeah we had sub-zero temps for a few weeks, that is forgotten now )

Old 01-18-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
I've been a NH resident for 18 years, and can honestly say that it is truly HOME for us. While I've been a lifelong New Englander (a Massachusetts resident for my first 25 years) we relocated to the middle of the county for several years, until opportunity came that allowed us to go HOME again... only thing was, Massachusetts didn't fit us anymore. Or maybe it was the other way around.

We chose Southern NH because of jobs proximity, at the time, my husband was commuting to Mass (like thousands of other people...) We liked the relative quiet of the town we settled in, but still wanted some nearby conveniences like grocery shopping choices, easy drive to the highway and decent medical options as well. We have had the need for better Boston hospitals a time or two, so being in the southern part of the state worked well for us.

Although you may enjoy brief bursts of colder weather (friends living in the south and Texas are FREEZING and have new respect for us northerners ) don't make the mistake of romanticizing our winters. When I get on my computer, I can share some members previous posts that clearly show that winter can be tough to get through, between the short hours of daylight and the cost of keeping our homes warm. I HIGHLY suggest that anyone who moves to NH try to remt for at least a full year, preferrably 2 full winters, because one can greatly differ from the last.

Now, despite all of that negativity, NH offers such beauty all 4 season that it can be TOTALLY worth every bit of griping. Yesterday & last night dropped 7 inches of wonderful white powder, PERFECT for x-country skiing this morning, under a brilliant blue, cloudless sky. Watching the breeze tease the powder down from the tall pines, feeling the clean, cold air and the absolute quiet of time in the woods & on the trail... THAT'S why we love to live in an area where sometimes it literally hurts your face to be outside (yeah we had sub-zero temps for a few weeks, that is forgotten now )
Great info...thanks for sharing!

Old 01-18-2018, 11:49 AM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
Before you decide to move here, spend a week here in Jan-Feb, and multiply that experience x 4-5 months/year, and while you're here, envision yourself getting dressed for that weather every day, shoveling snow, dealing with the slop in a grocery store parking lot, and coming home in the dark at 4 pm. And I echo what Valerie said about renting.

I'm sure there are a lot of hospitals in NH that would love to hire a pediatrician, but beware the many small facilities with small staffs that mean little cross-coverage so that her call is untenable in the long run.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Before you decide to move here, spend a week here in Jan-Feb, and multiply that experience x 4-5 months/year, and while you're here, envision yourself getting dressed for that weather every day, shoveling snow, dealing with the slop in a grocery store parking lot, and coming home in the dark at 4 pm. And I echo what Valerie said about renting.

I'm sure there are a lot of hospitals in NH that would love to hire a pediatrician, but beware the many small facilities with small staffs that mean little cross-coverage so that her call is untenable in the long run.
Thanks for the tips!

My wife has looked into some of the hospitals and private practices and that's something she's aware of. She's also considering a fellowship in pediatric cardiology, and I see that CHAD has several locations offering that sub-specialty throughout the state. Subject to availability, of course.

I suppose every place has its drawbacks. We obviously don't have to use the heat nearly much as you NH folks, but we kick the AC on in March and it runs full blast pretty much from May well into September. I'd much rather throw on my Woolrich hunting jacket and grandfather's Woolrich cap and shovel snow, than do yard work in 95 degree weather with 90% humidity. The last arctic blast that came through had us in the mid-teens for highs for a couple weeks and lows in the single digits and dipped below zero a couple nights. Granted, it was only a couple weeks, but it didn't bother me. I don't mind throwing a heavy coat, flannel-lined jeans, sloshing through snow, etc. Especially if it means I get a REAL fall for the first time in my life.

We hope to do a little surveying trip up there at some point, as you suggest.

Last edited by JMG32; 01-18-2018 at 12:22 PM..

Old 01-18-2018, 12:32 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
New Hampshire has a high quality of life. Go for it. I am from as far south as you can get and moving up north was the best personal decision I could make. I can't imagine NH being any colder than here. Seasons are awesome.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:56 PM
KCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMG32 View Post
Thanks for the tips!

My wife has looked into some of the hospitals and private practices and that's something she's aware of. She's also considering a fellowship in pediatric cardiology, and I see that CHAD has several locations offering that sub-specialty throughout the state. Subject to availability, of course.

I suppose every place has its drawbacks. We obviously don't have to use the heat nearly much as you NH folks, but we kick the AC on in March and it runs full blast pretty much from May well into September. I'd much rather throw on my Woolrich hunting jacket and grandfather's Woolrich cap and shovel snow, than do yard work in 95 degree weather with 90% humidity. The last arctic blast that came through had us in the mid-teens for highs for a couple weeks and lows in the single digits and dipped below zero a couple nights. Granted, it was only a couple weeks, but it didn't bother me. I don't mind throwing a heavy coat, flannel-lined jeans, sloshing through snow, etc. Especially if it means I get a REAL fall for the first time in my life.

We hope to do a little surveying trip up there at some point, as you suggest.

While the summer is much shorter here, beware that most homes do not have central AC, and if you're moving to a condo or house with a HOA, ask about restrictions on window units. I had 2 weeks from Christmas into Jan where the temp here did not get above zero, and the lowest I saw was -32*F one night. Granted it was only a couple of weeks, but it returned a few days later. A Woolrich jacket doesn't cut it in those temps unless you enjoy hypothermia, but flannel-lined jeans are .

Old 01-18-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
While the summer is much shorter here, beware that most homes do not have central AC, and if you're moving to a condo or house with a HOA, ask about restrictions on window units. I had 2 weeks from Christmas into Jan where the temp here did not get above zero, and the lowest I saw was -32*F one night. Granted it was only a couple of weeks, but it returned a few days later. A Woolrich jacket doesn't cut it in those temps unless you enjoy hypothermia, but flannel-lined jeans are .
Good tips, thanks!

Are houses generally built for the cold and insulated well? The house we're in now is not, so even with some of the more mild MD winter days, our heater has trouble keeping up.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:21 PM
KCZ

Newer houses are generally well-insulated. Problem buildings tend to be older homes and cheaply-constructed condo/apt complexes. Before buying or renting, try to obtain heating bills for the last 2-3 years if you can. Winter weather here can vary a lot from year to year so one winter's information may not be representative. A realtor should have insulation information for new homes. Also ask if the home currently has high-speed internet...just being in the provider's service area on a map doesn't guarantee you can actually get a line run to your home.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:30 PM

112 posts, read 166,290 times
I lived in NH for nearly 8 years after growing up and living in OH. I loved NH and hated to leave. (Left for Amarillo, TX, for husband's job and he's now an ex). I'd give anything to go back to NH, but cost of housing & heating is too high for me on a teacher salary. I lived in the Upper Valley--Lebanon/Hanover area. My heart is still there. Most beautiful place ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire