Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 03:05 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times

Advertisements

You like to ATV. From my back yard to the next paved road is 42 miles through the woods. I can ride 90 miles to the ocean, dip my tires in salt water, just to say I did and ride back - LEGALLY. Wh have a huge and growing network of legal trails. No, you can't ride every old logging road you see, just the authorized trails, many of which are old logging roads. You don't mention hunting, but when it comes to freedom we have open carry in Maine. You don't need a permit to carry a hand gun. Most people carry concealed so we don't freak out the tourists.

According to the FBI, Maine is the safest state. We took over from Vermont again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 03:59 AM

34 posts, read 59,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
You like to ATV. From my back yard to the next paved road is 42 miles through the woods. I can ride 90 miles to the ocean, dip my tires in salt water, just to say I did and ride back - LEGALLY. Wh have a huge and growing network of legal trails. No, you can't ride every old logging road you see, just the authorized trails, many of which are old logging roads. You don't mention hunting, but when it comes to freedom we have open carry in Maine. You don't need a permit to carry a hand gun. Most people carry concealed so we don't freak out the tourists.

According to the FBI, Maine is the safest state. We took over from Vermont again.
Hi -

Tried to send you a DM, your inbox is full... sent you an email instead.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:22 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
I grew up hating and still hate cold weather. In the summer the Smokies are very pleasant indeed. You won't find me there in winter.
I understand what you are saying. I do not 'hate' winter, but I have heard enough people say this, that I can understand.

In our move to Maine we tried to design a large house specifically to consume less heating fuel to be comfortable in Winter.

After a couple years, I got tired of having our cars coated in ice with a blanket of snow on them. So I built a carport with bays to fit both our sedans, our van and tractor. It was not a big expense, but it had a huge effect on our lifestyle.

Even after the season' worst snowstorm, I can walk out to my tractor without touching any snow myself. I can start it up, and my first contact with the snow is from sitting on my tractor driving it, as I blow the snow off our driveway.

Our cars no longer get encased in ice and snow.

As a retiree, you do not 'need' to go driving anywhere during a snowstorm. That is the beauty of being retired.

Our driveway is 120 yards long, I would never be able to shovel it. Of course I do not want to shovel any snow ever. But we wanted to have a long driveway. We do not want to be aware of traffic going by. We live in dense forest. Our views from our home are all forest, river, wildlife and our animals.

Snowstorms are a lot different when there is no need to drive in them, and when we no longer need to shovel that snow or fight ice off a windshield.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:45 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
You like to ATV. From my back yard to the next paved road is 42 miles through the woods. I can ride 90 miles to the ocean, dip my tires in salt water, just to say I did and ride back - LEGALLY. Wh have a huge and growing network of legal trails. No, you can't ride every old logging road you see, just the authorized trails, many of which are old logging roads
Over 16,000 miles of sled trails.

All towns are inter-connected by sled trails, every vista, every lake/pond. The network of sled trails is fantastic.

Quote:
... You don't mention hunting, but when it comes to freedom we have open carry in Maine. You don't need a permit to carry a hand gun. Most people carry concealed so we don't freak out the tourists.

Maine is an Open Carry state, and is 'shall issue' for the CCW permits [even though permits are not required].

We host events for our county's chapter of Organic Farmers/Gardeners and last night we had a sausage-making party and Stone Soup potluck. One of our neighbors is a Native tribal member, she brought moose meat and we drank hard cider that our group pressed a few months ago.

Rural communities can be loads of fun

Old 01-29-2018, 12:54 PM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
. Kinda far... Income tax free WY, WA, &AK are great options with excellent summers, mtns, streams, lakes, (even oceans...) great paying jobs and good schools. WA auto registration -$45 (plus sales tax) no sales tax in AK.
AK COL is very high. Utilities in AK very high. Medical care is harder to get (for more complex diagnoses residents tend to fly down south). Job availability in AK not great due to oil/gas industry struggles. Winter conditions can be a big challenge. A lot of senior services/conveniences just don't exist outside of Anchorage or Fairbanks. Travel to and from is expensive.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:09 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,389,545 times
Country mom we are in paralell universes. Hudson valley resident here. We too will be NYC pensioners soon. NH, tn.,va. And Maine all make the list.
For our pension though and the climate we prefer(cooler) nh wins. We do love the visually stunning coastline of Maine, but there are costs associated with that. We have friends in NH, and I know a few ny pensioners who moved up there to begin their next chapter of life.
You can use Zoc Docs to find out who carries your pension medical insurance (for us ghi/emblem) in any state/town. Very handy tool.
Another state you may not know about being NY pension friendly is Mass. They have a reciprocal law regarding NY pensions. They don't tax them, and NY does not tax their state pensions if they choose to reside in NY.
Start taking trips to these places, ask a lot of questions, have fun, and enjoy what you earned here.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
Country mom we are in paralell universes. Hudson valley resident here. We too will be NYC pensioners soon. NH, tn.,va. And Maine all make the list.
For our pension though and the climate we prefer(cooler) nh wins. We do love the visually stunning coastline of Maine, but there are costs associated with that. We have friends in NH, and I know a few ny pensioners who moved up there to begin their next chapter of life.
You can use Zoc Docs to find out who carries your pension medical insurance (for us ghi/emblem) in any state/town. Very handy tool.
Another state you may not know about being NY pension friendly is Mass. They have a reciprocal law regarding NY pensions. They don't tax them, and NY does not tax their state pensions if they choose to reside in NY.
Start taking trips to these places, ask a lot of questions, have fun, and enjoy what you earned here.
Grouse -

Nice to see a fellow Hudson Valley resident looking to Escape NY, and to the places we are interested in. I have never heard of Zoc Docs - need to check it out. Our hearts are saying NH or possibly Maine but the Ol' retirement wallet says North East TN may not be so bad. Of course a few trips will help with that one.

We have been to NH numerous times and have explored many towns. Been to Maine a few times mostly up the coast to Bangor and Bar Harbor. Liked Bar Harbor was not overly impressed with Bangor.

Mass is to similar to NY in the politics, not sure I want to go from one liberal state to another.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Over 16,000 miles of sled trails.

All towns are inter-connected by sled trails, every vista, every lake/pond. The network of sled trails is fantastic.

Maine is an Open Carry state, and is 'shall issue' for the CCW permits [even though permits are not required].

We host events for our county's chapter of Organic Farmers/Gardeners and last night we had a sausage-making party and Stone Soup potluck. One of our neighbors is a Native tribal member, she brought moose meat and we drank hard cider that our group pressed a few months ago.

Rural communities can be loads of fun
Maine does peak our interest... Think it is pretty cool how you built your house to deal with snow. You are right, being retired no need to have to rush out and clean the car for work. Can enjoy the peaceful beauty of the snow falling!

Old 01-29-2018, 06:40 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Overall, taxes tend to balance out. A state with no personal income tax will get it from you some other way.

However, you know your own spending and living expenses and income sources, so you can determine which state penalizes you more than another. For example, Texas has no state income tax, but very high property taxes. So, for your social security retirement, where you are likely pay no income tax at all, Texas would bed a good state to rent in, but a bad state to buy in. Howver, of course, if you rent your retirement quarters, you landlord has to pay the high property tax, and will just pass it along to you.

Similarly, if you need a new Lexus and a 72-inch TV, a state with high sales tax will stick it to you., But you don't care about the sales tax if you have an old Corolla and a $99 TV from Walmart and you buy your clothes from thrift shops. That should pique your interest.

Last edited by cebuan; 01-29-2018 at 06:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire