Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 04:37 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
Skewed to make the presumption that it is one in four ...but what you really have is statistically 1 in 2, and knowing that I will wear green
Nationwide, non-users of seatbelts are about one in nine, so no, statistically it isn't 1 in 2.

I'm on your side, I believe adults have every right to risk one's own life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 04:42 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,543,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Nationwide, non-users of seatbelts are about one in nine, so no, statistically it isn't 1 in 2.

I'm on your side, I believe adults have every right to risk one's own life.
You risk your life simply by getting out of bed and pretending a belt that holds you into a car will somehow make you safer doesn't mean you are.

Again....

While seat-belt use might save some people in certain kinds of traffic accidents, there is ample evidence that in other kinds, people have been more seriously injured and even killed only because they used seat belts. [b]Some people have been saved from death in certain kinds of accidents only because a seat belt was not used. In those cases, the malicious nature of seat-belt laws is further revealed: such persons are subject to fines for not dying in the accident while using a so-called safety device arbitrarily chosen by politicians.

The state has no authority to subject people to death and injury in certain kinds of traffic accidents just because it hopes others will be saved in other kinds of accidents merely by chance. The state has no authority to take chances with a person’s body, the ultimate private property.
Rate this post positively

Old 02-09-2018, 07:28 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Quote:
Rate this post positively[/b]
Can't. Gotta spread some around first.

But I agree - too many laws on the books infringing on personal freedom. Whether seat belts save lives or not, is irrelevant. Most people are going to use them anyway; I do. But I don't want the state telling me that I have to. My freedom to choose is what's relevant.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:30 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Despite New Hampshire’s loose seat belt laws and correspondingly unbuckled drivers, the state's traffic fatality rate is actually below the national average.

You will find this sentence in a NPR article as to why New Hampshire doesn't have a seat belt law.

In other words New Hampshire has no NEED for a seat belt law. We do just fine

Yet here once some hair brained representative push for one.

As Nancy Reagan once said.. JUST SAY NO!
Dave I'd say no to the law just because you are right that nobody needs MORE laws.

But from a crash standpoint there is no question it saves lives especially with the airbags popping off in the event of a crash. No seat belt + an airbag = double whammy....one from the crash, one from the air bag.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:35 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
actually I do and mathematically it boils down to a crap shoot..statistically 50/50 .. ie seatbelts cannot give significantly better odds to be considered a life saving device
*in a rollover crash, down a cliff, with a full explosion and then landing in deep water......Dave you are 100% correct! The use of a seat belt in the above crash makes no difference!

Rollover with ejection......safe to say you would be in a lot better shape if you stayed belted inside the car and didn't get crushed by your own car!

Old 02-10-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
*in a rollover crash, down a cliff, with a full explosion and then landing in deep water......Dave you are 100% correct! The use of a seat belt in the above crash makes no difference!

Rollover with ejection......safe to say you would be in a lot better shape if you stayed belted inside the car and didn't get crushed by your own car!
No doubt! It would be foolish to say they are never a benefit, it would be equally as foolish to say that they are never a death sentence. The main point as always is it is the DRIVERS choice to make that decision not anyone else, much less the government.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:39 AM

27 posts, read 32,602 times
Why not pass laws requiring salads at every dinner, 8 glass of water a day and 30 minutes of exercise? Statistics show that the "average American" is woefully underfunded for retirement and can't handle an unexpected $2,000.00 bill.

How many people will be saved with a seat belt law vs requiring proper exercise - let's go big!

I've worn my seat belt all my life and if you are a passenger in my car you will too. However, a law is ridiculous and a waste of government time. We either believe in personal responsibility or we don't. It's a slippery slope wh government tries to mandate behavior.

As an aside; I had an uncle who was in a car crash and in a freak accident the shoulder harness ended up choking him.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 of 9 View Post
Why not pass laws requiring salads at every dinner, 8 glass of water a day and 30 minutes of exercise? Statistics show that the "average American" is woefully underfunded for retirement and can't handle an unexpected $2,000.00 bill.

How many people will be saved with a seat belt law vs requiring proper exercise - let's go big!

I've worn my seat belt all my life and if you are a passenger in my car you will too. However, a law is ridiculous and a waste of government time. We either believe in personal responsibility or we don't. It's a slippery slope wh government tries to mandate behavior.

As an aside; I had an uncle who was in a car crash and in a freak accident the shoulder harness ended up choking him.
I like it.. and I agree completely with your assertment about your car your rules, except in my case just because I don't buckle up doesn't mean my passenger can't

Old 02-10-2018, 10:10 AM
KCZ

4,670 posts, read 3,665,713 times
This topic always results in a endless argument. Anybody got want to start a more useful thread?

Old 02-10-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
This topic always results in a endless argument. Anybody got want to start a more useful thread?
My apologies for concerning myself with something that affects my life as a New Hampshire citizen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire