Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 09:47 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,216,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Nazi View Post
Don't be so quick to sit in judgement and paint everyone with such a broad brush.
It's too bad that most of society is like this now. The knee jerk reactions and grouping everyone is beyond tiresome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 08:45 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Nazi View Post
It isn't simply a matter of grit and determination, but also a matter of financial resources and the ability to provide the type of care necessary.
My friend who took care of his parents and uncle had very little money and lived week to week. At least their house was long pay for, but very rundown.

He couldn't afford a nurse or caretaker for his mother, so it was up to him to do everything for her. And I do admire what he did.

And no, I don't have sympathies for the families who just want someone else take care of the unsavory duties. But that's what immigrant labour is good for.

Anyway, I don't care about the nursing home cuts. If you want more tax money to got towards nursing homes, then the money has to come out of another budget. Again, I suggest cutting funds for Narcan and full time kindergarten as a start. And then add a 3-4% NH sales tax too... just don't expect to get it out of my property taxes.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
My friend who took care of his parents and uncle had very little money and lived week to week. At least their house was long pay for, but very rundown.

He couldn't afford a nurse or caretaker for his mother, so it was up to him to do everything for her. And I do admire what he did.

And no, I don't have sympathies for the families who just want someone else take care of the unsavory duties. But that's what immigrant labour is good for.

Anyway, I don't care about the nursing home cuts. If you want more tax money to got towards nursing homes, then the money has to come out of another budget. Again, I suggest cutting funds for Narcan and full time kindergarten as a start. And then add a 3-4% NH sales tax too... just don't expect to get it out of my property taxes.
It's waaaaaay easier to simply vote yourself "other people's" money.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:21 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
It's waaaaaay easier to simply vote yourself "other people's" money.
Looks like you and Miu got it all figured out, then....

Old 03-03-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
Looks like you and Miu got it all figured out, then....
There are a million ways to slice the problem. I do all the right things, I've served my country, never been on .gov assistance, raising 3 boys, working 50-60 hours a week, and the feds still take 35-40K from me every year. That's not including my town property tax.

Where do we draw the line? When I lived in Worcester MA working 60 hours a week while going to school at night, living pay check to pay check, watching the woman in front of me with a shopping cart full of food, the newest cell phone to date, and $300 worth of clothes on. She paid $28 for the entire stocked cart while I bought ramen noodles and mac-n-cheese to get me to the next pay check. When I went out to my crap car, with my small bag of food for $30 I watched her load bag after bag in to her 2 year old Volvo wagon. Yeah probably her father's right? Well maybe daddy should buy her food so we don't have to.

America right?

It's hard to draw the line on charity when I see it abused constantly. I'm all for helping out the elders but when the .gov supports those WHO WONT HELP THEMSELVES, with MY MONEY, I guess I get tired of it all.

How much of my money should I be fine with the .gov taking to support others? Tell me Steve?

Old 03-04-2018, 08:21 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
There are a million ways to slice the problem. I do all the right things, I've served my country, never been on .gov assistance, raising 3 boys, working 50-60 hours a week, and the feds still take 35-40K from me every year. That's not including my town property tax.

Where do we draw the line? When I lived in Worcester MA working 60 hours a week while going to school at night, living pay check to pay check, watching the woman in front of me with a shopping cart full of food, the newest cell phone to date, and $300 worth of clothes on. She paid $28 for the entire stocked cart while I bought ramen noodles and mac-n-cheese to get me to the next pay check. When I went out to my crap car, with my small bag of food for $30 I watched her load bag after bag in to her 2 year old Volvo wagon. Yeah probably her father's right? Well maybe daddy should buy her food so we don't have to.

America right?

It's hard to draw the line on charity when I see it abused constantly. I'm all for helping out the elders but when the .gov supports those WHO WONT HELP THEMSELVES, with MY MONEY, I guess I get tired of it all.

How much of my money should I be fine with the .gov taking to support others? Tell me Steve?
I don't know the answer to that question of how much, other than more than zero. I served, never been on gov assistance, raising a kid, worked my share of hours etc. too.

Seems like so many people get so fed up with their tax burden that they want to do away with funding for everything and go back to a frontier lifestyle with an "every man for himself" attitude. I believe NH's reliance on primarily the property tax makes people think this way. Public education, assistance to elderly/children, fire/police - get rid of them all of make people pay for everything themselves. I've been to countries where basic public services are non-existent or barely functioning. I don't think we want that.

A civilized society needs services funded by all. The romanticized self sufficient frontiersman doing everything for himself and relying on no-one is not always realistic. That's great if it works out for you for a while but it's nice to have a fallback or backup option if things don't work out as you'd hoped.

Maybe the debate should be more of at what point do these services become available? Can you take care of your aging parent without putting yourself in financial ruin? Great. If you have to quit your job and go on public assistance to take care of that parent, now you're in trouble too and still costing the taxpayers money. There needs to be something in place to keep elderly people from living on the streets or putting themselves or others in danger by living in a situation they can't handle. It's unrealistic to always expect one household member to be able to exit the workforce and take care of an aging parent for an extended amount of time (perhaps with expensive medical care required too). The way things are these days require both people to work to maintain a basic standard of living in many households.

Sure there are people that take advantage of whatever system is out there. Work on reducing that. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. You never know - you might need that nursing home someday despite all your best plans and preparations.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:49 AM

385 posts, read 345,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
<snip>
A civilized society needs services funded by all.
<snip>
Except the services are not funded by all. We are fast approaching the point where more people receive than are funding. Add to that the widespread abuses, and non-citizens getting loads of money as well, and yes, the people paying are fed up.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:34 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
It's probably cheaper to fund the caregiving adult for their aging parent, than pay for nursing home care. Stays nursing homes are outrageously expensive. It's like booking a room in a hotel but with doctors, nurses, orderlies and cafeteria staff.

And my husband's grandparents did manage to save and pay for his grandmother's last years in a topnotch nursing home. And I saw the downside in being as such a good facility. Not only was her stay extremely expensive, but they kept her alive two years beyond what she wanted to live. She was in severe congestive heart failure and bedridden. She also missed her late husband terribly and would ask her family for help in joining him... and she was a devout Catholic.

For me, I plan to stay at home until the end. And when it's time to go, so be it. I don't want round the clock monitoring and care.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:39 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,105 times
When people realize they're paying the taxes for services, they question the value of those services. When people don't realize they're paying the taxes for services, more is always better, and taxes just keep going up.

I consider New Hampshire's heavy reliance on a single source of taxes that's very visible to be one of the best things about the state. It makes people aware of what their government is spending. They're aware and engaged, which is great.

Different people will have different ideas about how many services they want, which is fine. There are 50 states, different states can appeal to different people through the choices they make on taxes vs. services, which allows more people to live according to rules they're happier with. It's much better than one size fits all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire