Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 07:01 AM

99 posts, read 188,775 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Just wanted some suggestions for areas to check out for possible retirement. We checked out the lakes region last year but want great mountain views, good health care, easy access to amenities and somewhat liberal-leaning.

Also, I've read a lot of threads on here and see people saying how expensive it is to live here. Can you explain why? I'm in Maryland, a very expensive county, about 1 hour from Washington, DC so wondered what the difference might be.

Thanks so much for any help you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 07:41 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,105 times
Expensive is relative, you'll need to compare it to what you're used to and your income. Keep in mind nh has a 5% tax on dividends and interest, so for retirees it isn't necessarily income tax free.

Any particular reason you're interested in nh specifically? It might help to narrow down a place.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Old 03-19-2018, 08:23 AM

Thank you JDHPA for your response. We're considering NH because we want to live near mountains and lakes and prefer cooler weather to hot.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:30 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,966 times
Coming from the DC area, you probably won't feel the COL is bad here. I came from the NYC area and felt relief, to be honest. But keep an eye on property taxes when you are looking at houses. That's where they will really get you, especially if you insist on a view.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:56 AM
KCZ

4,670 posts, read 3,665,713 times
If you want "great mountain views," and you aren't happy with the Winnipesaukee views of the Ossipee and Belknap Mtns, which are smaller but pretty dang nice IMHO, you'll have to go north to the White Mtns, which isn't entirely compatible with your other wants, particularly a larger lake.

First of all, have you ever lived through a northern winter? Six months of cold, snow, and darkness? That's a huge culture shock for people that aren't used to it.

Regarding "good health care." If you mean a medical center, there is only one in northern NH... Dartmouth in Lebanon. There are smaller community hospitals scattered around the northern half of NH. Lakes Region General Hospital in Laconia is one of the larger ones.

Regarding "easy access to amenities," the two areas in northern NH with much shopping and big box stores are Littleton and Conway. Both have small community hospitals. Littleton has easier access to Dartmouth than Conway does to a medical center. The only place in northern NH with access to exhibits, museums, lectures, and that type of cultural opportunity is Dartmouth. There are small theatre companies in a bunch of communities. There is access to outdoor activities pretty much everywhere.

Re: "liberal views." NH, especially the northern half, is not a liberal state. However, people will be respectful of your views as long as you don't try to force them on anyone and don't agitate for programs that will raise taxes. If you want liberal in New England, you want Vermont or Mass.

Re: expenses. Property taxes are among the highest in the country. See here... //www.city-data.com/forum/new-h...x-ranking.html. Also be prepared for high heating bills. There are plenty of threads here discussing that issue.

I would suggest looking in the Littleton area. It's closer to the mountains, with a community hospital and not overly far from Dartmouth, with a larger than average downtown for northern NH and some big box stores, for amenities. The other option is Keene area, which has one 2000' mountain but more access the other things you're looking for. If you can give up the mountain view, look in the Sunapee area for your lake wants.

Last edited by KCZ; 03-19-2018 at 09:18 AM..

Old 03-19-2018, 11:11 AM

500 posts, read 636,088 times
KCZ gave an excellent response. I'll just point out that "highest taxes in the country" are percentage-wise, not nominally. Many people who move to NH pay less than they did elsewhere. Also, I know everyone on City Data likes point out the winters, but I find them not that burdensome when you consider the overall package of life in NH. You get used to it and winters are tolerable. If it's above 30 with sunshine and no wind I'm literally comfortable in a light long-sleeved shirt. And this is coming from somebody who prefers 90- to 100-degree hot summer days over any other weather.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:42 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,504,464 times
You should look at SW NH too - the Monadnock region. Our mountains aren't tall like the whites, but stand out none the less, and folks pay a premium for the mountain views. We're not a cultural desert either. It's just on a smaller scale than Boston, which is 90 minutes away outside of rush hour. Health care is at Cheshire Medical Center in Keene, or Monadnock Community hospital in Peterborough. Specialty care is easily accessed in Boston, at some of the worlds best medical institutions.

The area is not a shopping mecca or loaded with ethic dining like more urban areas, but does have good restaurants, and great breakfast places.

Politics? Varies widely by town - some very liberal, some very conservative.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:29 PM
KCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviDunn View Post
KCZ gave an excellent response. I'll just point out that "highest taxes in the country" are percentage-wise, not nominally. Many people who move to NH pay less than they did elsewhere. Also, I know everyone on City Data likes point out the winters, but I find them not that burdensome when you consider the overall package of life in NH. You get used to it and winters are tolerable. If it's above 30 with sunshine and no wind I'm literally comfortable in a light long-sleeved shirt. And this is coming from somebody who prefers 90- to 100-degree hot summer days over any other weather.
Per the chart I linked, NH property taxes are the third highest in both percentage and actual amount on a median priced home.

This is exactly why I pointed out the winter issues. I'd like 30 and no wind too, but I live south of Littleton and Conway, it's March 19th, we've gotten 3 feet of snow in the last 10-12 days, and despite today's sun, the wind chill is slightly below zero. That's a lot to take for someone who's not used to winter.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:36 PM

Thank you all so much for the great suggestions. We will definitely check out these areas as we're hoping to make another trip there later this year.

KCZ, I haven't been in the north during winter but would rather winter than summer (wish I could only have 3 seasons).

Thanks again.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:41 PM
KCZ

If you haven't spent any time up here in the winter, I would strongly urge you to try it and to rent before buying a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire