Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 06:39 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,811 times

Advertisements

Wow. Can't seem to take my dog for a walk without getting a tick or two on him. Deer ticks were out in March, and now they are joined by the much bigger and easier to spot dog ticks. Not worried about the dog because the ticks die within 2 hours of being bit (he's on Bravecto and has the Lyme vaccine), but he brings them in the house on him and we've found ticks around the house. My family, on the other hand, have no such Lyme vaccine.

Haven't had one latch on to me yet, but at the rate we're finding them it's just a matter of time before I miss one on a tick check.

Is this a bad year for them, or are they all bad years? We're in the seacoast area. Wants to make me move up to the North Country. I love to be in the woods, and this can be a buzzkill. If it was like this when I was a kid in the 80s, I would have got Lyme right away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 08:03 PM

500 posts, read 636,088 times
I've only found one dog tick here in the Lakes. Seems not as bad as previous years. However, based upon what my friends tell me and my FB feed, seems much worse than previous years.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:34 AM

756 posts, read 836,301 times
Yes, it is bad. My son is in Weare. Everytime he takes the dog out they go 25 feet for the dog to do his business, then go back in. Every time ticks are found on them and on the dog. Last week one attached to my son but they got it off.

He will be moving next month with a small less woodsy yard. He can't wait, due to the ticks.
He had Lyme disease as a kid so this is not something he wants to go through again.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:05 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
I encountered two ticks in my house last night as the first tick sightings of the year for me. Boy can they move fast! It was 11:30pm and one was crawling on my right forearm. The second was on one of my dogs' legs. He's a black and white dog, and luckily the tick was on white fur. They were just dog ticks.

The tick collars go on the dogs in two days. We use Scalibor collars and we like to let them sit outside of their packaging for a few days before putting them on the dogs. We are lucky to have open land and keep the grass short where the dogs roam. The ticks must have been in the longer grass and jumped onto us when at one point we were investigating the groundhog holes outside our usual walk area.

So glad that we didn't buy a house in a wooded area!! With dogs, it's better to have ones with light coloured skin and fur. It makes checking for fleas and ticks on them much easier. And the same goes for clothing, bedsheets and furniture.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:30 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
No different then any other year. Seems to be a lot but average this time of year.

Don't feed the ticks and this will cut down number next year.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:38 AM

In my six years of living in a heavily wooded area that meets an open field, I've never found ticks inside my house..... (One of the benefits of not owning pets, I guess!!)

Old 05-21-2018, 12:44 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviDunn View Post
In my six years of living in a heavily wooded area that meets an open field, I've never found ticks inside my house..... (One of the benefits of not owning pets, I guess!!)
Do you walk in the woods alot?

Old 05-21-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
Do you walk in the woods alot?
June-November I'm literally outside enjoying NH more than I'm inside. So days I work I'm outside 2-4 hours a day, and days I don't have work I'm literally outside 12+ hours a day at the lake, hiking mountains, hiking in the woods, etc. As soon as I come inside from being outside, I walk strait to the washroom, throw all my clothes in the washer, take a shower, then do a tick check. 1-2 times a year while I'm outside, or doing my tick check immediately after coming inside, I find a tick. But I've yet to find them just walking around in my house.

Old 05-21-2018, 04:31 PM

346 posts, read 358,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviDunn View Post
June-November I'm literally outside enjoying NH more than I'm inside. So days I work I'm outside 2-4 hours a day, and days I don't have work I'm literally outside 12+ hours a day at the lake, hiking mountains, hiking in the woods, etc. As soon as I come inside from being outside, I walk strait to the washroom, throw all my clothes in the washer, take a shower, then do a tick check. 1-2 times a year while I'm outside, or doing my tick check immediately after coming inside, I find a tick. But I've yet to find them just walking around in my house.
Same here, no dogs or outside cats, so no ticks inside. I did find a dog tick after trail running one day a few weeks ago, but to be honest since moving north of the notch from SWNH we have very few tick problems.
They were a huge problem in SWNH, we knew more than two dozen people with Lyme, it was part of why we moved.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:58 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Wooded areas are fine if there is a trail to follow. The problem seems to be that ticks like to hang out in the bushes. Experts say that ticks like to cling to grass and leaves in a zone between 18" and 24" high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire