Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2018, 10:49 AM

132 posts, read 195,821 times

Advertisements

How's the summer traffic in Peterborough? Does it get heavy like in Meredith and Wolfeboro, or is it not that bad?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 01:23 PM

7,269 posts, read 4,208,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtneer12 View Post
How's the summer traffic in Peterborough? Does it get heavy like in Meredith and Wolfeboro, or is it not that bad?
Thanks
Not that bad. Are you talking 101 or downtown? Really no comparison if you ask me since there is much less to do in Peterborough.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:06 PM

500 posts, read 635,436 times
I've never encountered bad traffic in Peterborough. Nothing like summer weekends in Meredith of Wolfeboro.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:57 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,499,441 times
I live one town over. Traffic in Peterborough? We think so when there's a car in front of us at a stop sign. There's only one light in town, and it's not downtown. 101 does a short bypass. Traffic is on 101 and 202, since they're both one lane each way, but it's a matter of a line behind someone that thinks it's safest to be 10 MPH or so below the speed limit.

Those that think there's less to do in P-boro probably don't like outdoor sports other than powerboating.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:21 PM

132 posts, read 195,821 times
Thanks for the replies.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:18 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,170,467 times
The many times that I've been in "downtown" Peterborough, traffic has been light. The one traffic light is at the intersection of NH 101 and US 202 south, an intersection that can be busy at times. But it's a distance from the "downtown."

Old 06-04-2018, 06:13 AM
KCZ

4,662 posts, read 3,657,222 times
Peterborough traffic = another oxymoron

Old 06-04-2018, 07:45 AM

830 posts, read 1,537,164 times
I know the OP's question has been answered, but living here, I thought I'd weigh in. Jammed-up traffic is almost non-existent, but volume of cars passing through is relatively high.

I also disagree that there is "much less" to do in Peterborough, and also don't think that's the reason for perceived lighter traffic. Less boating, that's for sure. But otherwise, particularly compared to Wolfeboro (which I know a lot better than Meredith) there is not less to do. My experience in Meredith is more limited (and mostly off-season), but I would say aside from lake activities, and the presence of more lodging, there isn't more to do there, either. There is a ton to do here, inside and outside, especially in summer. Nevertheless I agree that the lake is a bigger draw for most people.

It's interesting - based on DOT traffic volume studies, Peterborough has significantly more daily traffic than does Wolfeboro. (I had already seen numbers for Peterborough, looked up the other towns.) Some of the major routes in Meredith (3 especially) have more than Peterborough. Being at the crossroads of 101 and 202, there is a large amount of daily traffic passing through Peterborough.

I'm sure there is more seasonal variation by the lake, but thinking about my summer experience being backed up on 28 entering the Wolfeboro town center, compared to daily traffic here year-round, I think the big difference is that the major routes bypass downtown. 202 takes a jog around it, and 101 skirts it. There are enough opportunities for delays in Pboro that if the major route went down Main Street and Grove Street, instead of outside that area, it would be easier to see the volume of traffic and we would have backed-up traffic on a daily basis year-round.

Oh yeah, and there is a second traffic light on 202 by the high school. It mostly, but not exclusively, activates when school is in session.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:42 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,499,441 times
^ forgot about that second light. P-boro does have a rotary and a few left turn lanes, too, as well as a few stop signs scattered about. More seriously, even with events (of which the town has quite a few) parking is not a problem if you're willing to walk a block or so.

I'm so glad we're not over-run with tourists around here, even with fall color season, because it means we locals can take advantage of our own environment without a lot of hassle like lack of parking. Some of the surrounding towns are beautiful in a classic NH way, but don't have much parking (and no public transit, of course) so we don't talk about them much, lest we spoil things.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:14 AM

830 posts, read 1,537,164 times
^ Agreed. And the town is planning to build a new 60-space parking lot connected by a footbridge to Depot Square, but has apparently hit a little snag. (I'm not so sure it's needed - while parking gets tight on Grove Street, outside of event days, there are usually empty spots on Main Street.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire