Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 01:01 AM

3 posts, read 3,600 times

Advertisements

Thinking about possibly moving to Claremont, NH and was looking for feedback on how the town is as far as crime, jobs and schools are in the area. Drove through the town a few weeks back and it looks a bit run down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 03:51 AM

84 posts, read 99,820 times
It is a depressed area, schools not the best.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:55 AM

3 posts, read 3,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samandgiasmom View Post
It is a depressed area, schools not the best.
Looks it. How's the jobs in the area for skilled machinist?

Old 07-19-2018, 08:03 AM

830 posts, read 1,537,366 times
The current property tax rate is $42.66 per $1000 of assessed value, which I believe is the highest in the state. (It has a history of having the highest rate in the state.) That is simply an insane tax rate.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:22 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH47 View Post
Looks it. How's the jobs in the area for skilled machinist?

There are several manufacturing companies in the area that employ machinists: Sturm Ruger, Latva Machine and Premier Precision in Newport and Whelen Engineering, Bomar, Design Standards and GKN Aerospace in Charlestown.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:30 AM

104 posts, read 138,905 times
I'm no expert but... I've never heard much good about Claremont. It looks pretty enough but the area is run down. I've read that the town is trying to revitalize but it's slow going. There's a thread on here where people discuss trying to sell property there and no one is buying.

Here's another which might help:

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-h...-thoughts.html

Old 07-19-2018, 09:52 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,548,448 times
I'll quote myself from that other thread... nothing has really changed my opinion in the last year. Honestly, I just don't see any strong reasons to move to Claremont, and the school system and property taxes are 2 very strong reasons not to move there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
I live in Windsor VT, just across the river from Claremont, and Windsor has battled many of the same issues that Claremont has through the years. I think our easier commute to Leb/Han up 91 has helped us bounce back a lot faster than Claremont. Our schools took a hit for a long time, and it's a reputation we are still trying to recover from. But our test scores, graduation rate, etc. are all competitive now with the bigger schools just north of us closer to Dartmouth.

I do lots of shopping in Claremont (easy drive down 12A along the river), particularly to Market Basket. The local hospital is excellent and I have a few clients over there.

That said, I'm not sure I'd choose to move there yet. Be really clear about the tax situation, property taxes in Claremont are crazy-high considering the school rating. I don't say this to slander (believe me, I know what it's like to live in a town other towns look down their noses upon) but simply as a fact. They are trying very hard in Claremont, there are a lot of dedicated folks there doing the right thing to improve their community, but it's taking time, so buying property now will be a gamble. Maybe it pays off, but maybe things stall there and you are stuck holding a tax-money-suck of a property you can't resell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
...I've lived on both sides of the river and honestly, I've found zero difference between the people. Living in this area, you will interact with people and businesses on both sides, your kids will play sports against towns on both sides. The Upper Valley is actually quite homogeneous.
As always, your opinion might be different an that's fine.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:36 PM

500 posts, read 635,563 times
Also play around with mortgage calculators. You may pay a lot less for a home in a high-tax town like Claremont, but could have a similar monthly payment on a house that cost more in a lower-tax town.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:21 PM

830 posts, read 1,537,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviDunn View Post
Also play around with mortgage calculators. You may pay a lot less for a home in a high-tax town like Claremont, but could have a similar monthly payment on a house that cost more in a lower-tax town.
Yes, that's true, but taking off your Realtor's cap for a second, is that a good decision? When we were selling our house in a high tax/low real estate value town, I hoped buyers would make that calculation.

But shouldn't someone prefer to put money into their mortgage, which in theory they will at least partially get back if they sell (and which, if one chooses to stay, will eventually end), than into taxes which they will never get back, and which will never end, and will probably keep going up? It would be one thing if the taxes were high because the town has great services, but that's not the reason for the sky-high tax rate in Claremont.

I took a look at that thread someone else posted, and realized I had posted there, too. I mentioned a house selling for around $189,000, with a tax bill of $8100 or something. Yikes.

Edit to add: I suppose there is still a calculation to be done, taking into account interest, etc. (when calculating how much of your mortgage amount you might get back) but there are other less tangible things to consider such as the underlying reason a town like Claremont has the only $40+ tax rate in the state. And would your property be more likely to appreciate in value and also be easier to sell in a lower-tax nicer town?

Old 07-19-2018, 07:59 PM

500 posts, read 635,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell76 View Post
Yes, that's true, but taking off your Realtor's cap for a second, is that a good decision? When we were selling our house in a high tax/low real estate value town, I hoped buyers would make that calculation.

But shouldn't someone prefer to put money into their mortgage, which in theory they will at least partially get back if they sell (and which, if one chooses to stay, will eventually end), than into taxes which they will never get back, and which will never end, and will probably keep going up? It would be one thing if the taxes were high because the town has great services, but that's not the reason for the sky-high tax rate in Claremont.

I took a look at that thread someone else posted, and realized I had posted there, too. I mentioned a house selling for around $189,000, with a tax bill of $8100 or something. Yikes.

Edit to add: I suppose there is still a calculation to be done, taking into account interest, etc. (when calculating how much of your mortgage amount you might get back) but there are other less tangible things to consider such as the underlying reason a town like Claremont has the only $40+ tax rate in the state. And would your property be more likely to appreciate in value and also be easier to sell in a lower-tax nicer town?

I agree with you, and this is what I was implying. Since the OP asked about Claremont, I was giving him something to think about so that he'd consider looking elsewhere--I.E. that he'd consider homes in other towns that have lower taxes. I should have worded it to make it crystal clear that this is what I was saying, as I almost never advise people to look at high-tax towns because homes cost less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire