Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 02:04 AM

25 posts, read 35,704 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My family and I are thinking about moving to Peterborough, NH from PA. We've been here since 2010 when we had our son, to be near family. Now that he's almost 8, we're looking to relocate back to New England (I grew up in VT and also lived in NH, MA & CT, as well as a few other states; my husband's from MA). We are looking for a family-friendly, smaller community feel, nature, good schools, arts, music, yoga, etc. We can both work from home and my husband will need access to the airport now and then.

Can anyone share their thoughts about schools there? About the town?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 09:19 AM

500 posts, read 635,909 times
It's a neat little town. Postcard quintessential New England downtown. It is small, though, so you'll need to drive to Nashua or Merrimack/Bedford/Manchester for shopping needs. Based off your interests, and depending on your budget, you may want to look into the Seacoast too.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:52 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,211,164 times
Schools in Peterborough are considered good and generally taxpayers continue to support rising educational costs. The town itself is nice with strong zoning to protect the historical "feel". People are generally friendly and you will get out of it what you put into it. I would consider it safe but others may have different views. It is not very big and while there are things to do - some may find it too small and laid back for their tastes. Hospital is good and both our kids were born there.

Keene and Milford/Amherst is where we would shop and then Manchester/Concord if really needed a shopping adventure. Shaws for food shopping in town. Good hardware store. Mix of socioeconomic levels but generally tend to be more educated. Many writers and artists in the area. Library undergoing renovation. It's small town New England. Check out Cheney Ave, Old Street Road, High Street and Sand Hill Road areas for housing...

Last edited by illtaketwoplease; 08-22-2018 at 12:36 PM..

Old 08-22-2018, 11:13 PM

3 posts, read 3,272 times
It’s a cute artsy town with some nice shops and diners. Harlow’s has got some good veggie chili and Green Grocer’s got some interesting selections. The people.. aren’t the worst. Just DON’T send your kid to ConVal.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:36 AM

Wow, thank you for all the thoughts LeviDunn, illtaketwoplease & Xanthippe! Yes, I understand that you get what you put into it.

My husband and I are weighing the cost/benefit of trading New England and nature and a dream of life back in the country for the family that we have down here--which we appreciate so much, as we are raising our son, almost 8. Living outside of city of Philly, it takes a bit more effort to get to nature.

Which towns are on the seacoast?

Xanthippe--I loved Nature's Green Grocer and would like to check out Soul Yoga.
Can you share your experience with the ConVal school system? Did you go there? Are you a teacher?

We are actually looking at an old farmhouse on Union Street, at least a couple miles outside the village. Does anyone know about that area?

Thanks again!

Old 08-23-2018, 08:14 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,502,500 times
Seacoast is nothing like Peterborough and the surrounding Monadnocks. To start, the seacoast is well within the Boston commuter zone, meaning more congestion and much higher housing prices. It also lacks the density of conservation land/hiking/nature.

When you think Peterborough, consider surrounding towns too, since they're close.

For big box retail (Home Depot, Target etc) you go west to Keene - 30 minutes or less with no traffic lights until Keene proper, or east to Amherst/Nashua - again 30 minutes no lights until the end. Walmart and two large grocery stores are 20 minutes south in Ringe.

The big caution is internet access. Outside the town core, most folks don't have cable, only DSL or satellite.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:52 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,211,164 times
Union street is an o.k. area - and the thing I would consider is how far back my house sits from the road. Union street tends to get more traffic (what little there is) than others because it is the easiest way for people who live out in West Peterborough to get to their homes and also get into town. Some use it as a back-way shortcut to 101 as it connects eventually. Also depends which side of the street you are on -- and homes on the river side tend to be a tad more desirable.

Peterborough is a unique little town and very community oriented. Other small towns that surround it all have their pros and cons - like everywhere else.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:42 AM

Thank you, bigbear99!! That is all helpful information to know. And we DO need internet access. Not necessarily TV as we just got rid of ours!

Old 08-23-2018, 09:46 AM

Hello @illtaketwoplease! The house sits atop a small hill above Union. It is considered West Peterborough, I believe.

Not sure which side is the river side? It's on the opposite side of Nature's Green Grocer & Soul Yoga.
thanks!

Old 08-23-2018, 11:15 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,502,500 times
The OP should be aware that there's rarely a lot of housing on the market in Peterborough and surrounding towns, so don't expect a huge selection. Be aware too that some properties have been on and off the market for years. Don't know why. Most things go off the market around Thanksgiving and come back on around February.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire