Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 07:37 PM

7 posts, read 17,897 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My family and are are considering a relocation to Peterborough from Texas.
We are basically liberal leaning and not particularly religious which has posed some problems for us in Texas. Would we be the odd ones out in NH in general?
Are there areas to avoid within Peterborough? We were looking at homes on Greenfield & Dublin rd - any advice?
Is this a good town for kids? We have 3. My hubby works from home and may occasionally ccommute to Nashua.

Thanks so much!!

Bean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 03:53 AM

369 posts, read 965,063 times
As a liberal, you'd be much better off in Massachusetts.

Most of the independents and conservatives I know are pretty much fed up with moonbats.

Do yourself a favor and move to Cambridge or Boston.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:18 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,218,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtwigg View Post
As a liberal, you'd be much better off in Massachusetts.

Most of the independents and conservatives I know are pretty much fed up with moonbats.

Do yourself a favor and move to Cambridge or Boston.
+1

Liberals are much better served in Massachusetts.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:31 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,483,677 times
This is the best state in the country.
highest per capita income
lowest poverty rate
low unemployment rate
lowest crime rate
no sales tax
no income tax

So if you plan on bringing your liberal ideas along , massachusetts welcomes you with open arms.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:38 AM

7 posts, read 17,897 times
I'm guessing from the replies that we aren't so liberal in by East coast standards.
We just aren't evangelical Christians. We don't want a lot of Governent interference in our lives. We have no issues with homosexuality or single parents (this puts us in the crazy liberal category where we are now)

So politics aside, can you tell me what Peterborough is like?

Old 11-18-2011, 07:41 AM

193 posts, read 534,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanabean View Post
I'm guessing from the replies that we aren't so liberal in by East coast standards.
We just aren't evangelical Christians. We don't want a lot of Governent interference in our lives. We have no issues with homosexuality or single parents (this puts us in the crazy liberal category where we are now)
You are right, there is a perception divide between those in New England and those elsewhere, particularly the south. Here, "liberal" typically means liberal with other people's money, while "conservative" is a work hard and live-within-your-means mindset. That is the "conservative" viewpoint, naturally. I suppose the "liberal" viewpoint is that "liberal" means caring and supporting those who need help, while "conservative" means turning your back on them. In any case, it's about money and the role of government in taking it away and dispersing it. It's also about the role of government in general: conservatives typically do not want government acting the Nanny telling people how to live, while liberals see government as a means for activists to impose their will on the rest of the populace. Obviously, I have been biased in these descriptions and would identify as a conservative here in New England.

Down south, from my experience in Georgia mostly, "liberal" typically means atheist Sodomite and "conservative" means upright, god-fearing, Jesus-accepting, church member. That is apparently the "conservative" viewpoint, while the "liberal" viewpoint is that "liberal" means rational and tolerant while "conservative" means an intolerant and somewhat medieval Christian attitude. Again, I'm obviously biased and would identify as a liberal in the South.

Distinctions such as "fiscal conservative" do little to expose the magnitude of this divide in perception, which you can only appreciate living in both places. It's the inevitable failing of the two-party lock on our political system, where Democrats pander for the liberal vote and Republicans the conservative, and one reason there are so many Independents in New Hampshire.

On the religious front, you would find anywhere in New England like heaven.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:15 AM

Yes , New England republicans tend to be pretty much centered as compared to the rest of the country.
Peterborough is a nice town in a nice area. Its only real drawback as is the case in a lot of that part of the state is acces to interstate hwys.
How do you get along with libertarians? You will find many here are fiscal conservatives and social liberals. Most just want to live their lives the way they want without the gvmt or other folks telling them how to do it. It is also not a nanny state.
The reason we dont have helmet laws and seatbelt laws is because we are adults capable of making our own decisions for ourselves.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:18 AM

Bean , dont take the welcome you received as harsh. Keep in mind we are always dealing with those who move up from mass becaused they turned it into a place they can no longer afford to live . Now that they are here they want to turn this state into the one they just left.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:31 AM

193 posts, read 534,528 times
Let me add that Peterborough is a beautiful, active town with a lot of hills. My kids were there this year in a giant puppet parade. I agree with waterboy7375 that access is something of a drawback. An extra 45 minutes getting places may not seem like much when you're used to the expanse of Texas, but here you get used to the shorter dimensions. :-)

Old 11-18-2011, 08:56 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,043,877 times
Peterborough is a nice old town, lovely downtown area. It's actually a bit on the liberal side (for NH) as it has the McDowell art colony there so it attracts more artsy sorts of folks - who often are a little more liberal (for NH).

Definitely worth checking out. and no, you will not be the odd one out for not being Evangelical! NH folk don't really get into a lot of religion discussion, it tends to be a more personal thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire