U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 04-01-2008, 06:58 PM
2 posts, read 6,203 times
Reputation: 10


Hello - I am about to move from Green Bay, WI to Manchester, NH due to marriage and my hubby's job. I would appreciate any help I can get. He currently owns a condo, and there's free resident parking on streets via permit. I just paid $75 to renew my license in Wisconsin. Will I have to get New Hampshire plates right away, or can I wait a year. Also, about how much does it cost for plates and registration. What are the cheapest grocery stores in the area? And, any advice about how to obtain employment would be greatly appreciated. I just got back from Manchester last week, and all of you are most hospitable. I'm just hoping I'm making the right decisions, so please help me out if you can : ) Thanks much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Location: Sunny Naples Florida :)
1,451 posts, read 2,235,628 times
Reputation: 513
You must get your plates within 90 days of claiming residency...
You will also need to get your car inspected within 10 days of registering your car. That ranges from $30 and up... The ticket for not doing this is $100 as a lot of people try to skip out on that part.
I can't remember the exact amount to have my car registered and plated but it was definetly over $200.. You'll pay city and state tax to get your plates renewed yearly.To renew my plates this year I paid over $100. I believe the newer the vehicle the higher the amount. My husbands buddy at work drives a newer mustang and he just paid $375 to have his renewed. It pays to drive an older car here evidently. I drive an 02 . I think license renewal was $50 bucks

Cheapest grocery stores,, Hmm I dunno I can tell you there are Hannafords, Shaws and Price Cutter?.. I can't tell you prices as I only shop at Hannafords because I find its the cleanest..

Employment.. Depends. Not a lot here. Unless your specialized in something its just a crap shoot of looking in the paper and hoping for the best I suppose. Try government jobs or schools and post offices for more steady work perhaps

To get your license I thought it very strict in NH you'll need, proof of address, original birth certificate and marriage license.. I found that all a bit bizarre as I'm used to only showing proof of address. A bit extreame if you ask me.

Good luck
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2008, 06:37 AM
Location: Southern New Hampshire
4,642 posts, read 13,197,810 times
Reputation: 4556
Good Morning SUNEISHA
As Tara mentions, costs to register cars do vary widely, and there are local (town) costs as well as state.

To renew our 2004 vehicle:
local: 170.50
state: 43.20

Our 1998 vehicle:
local 75.50
state: 55.20

Our 1968 vehicle:
local 16.50
state: 43.20

I forget now much it was to get my new license moving into NH, but it USED to be very easy, just surrender your old, take a test, get your new state license. However THAT was pre-9-11, and as we all know, security has tightened up tremendously since that time. My mother-in-law became a NH resident in the last year or two, and they turned away her ORIGINAL birth certificate, hand written from a town clerk somewhere in Maine 60+ years ago. She fount the whole matter to be a huge PIA, and was not amused at the hoops she had to jump through (at least 2 or 3 trips to the registry, maybe more...) but that is the new era that we live in... Although we normal citizens think of a license as that piece of plastic as our simple ID cards, sleazeballs with bad intentions can use that (possibly fake) license as their start to to gain access to things we wouldn't know about...

Within the city of Manchester, there are several grocery store choices. Two Stop & Shops plus one in Bedford. Also a couple of Shaws, a couple of Hannafords (which just had a security breach exposed--debit card users at risk) Some people I know in Manchester drive down to Londonderry to shop at Market Basket (best prices, good place to get canned goods, pasta, non-perishables). Plus if you like cooking various ethnic food, there's Saigon Market on Valley Street, good place to get things like veggies for stir fry, bean sprouts, whole fish, shumai dumplings, various sauces...

Welcome to the NH forum and welcome to NH
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2008, 07:24 AM
Location: Monadnock region
3,712 posts, read 10,468,348 times
Reputation: 2463
hmmm, when it comes to ID for licenses, I think I still have my original NH driver's license from back in '77 (it wasn't confiscated when I got my MD license in '81)! think they'd accept that along with current proof of residence?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Location: Madbury, New Hampshire
885 posts, read 2,535,061 times
Reputation: 659
Note on registration: Initial registration is more expensive than renewals. In November, I paid about $350 total registration for a 2004 Jeep Gr Cherokee (this did include the Moose plate fee).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008, 05:41 AM
Location: Back in NYS
2,489 posts, read 7,845,981 times
Reputation: 2128
When we moved here, we had to surrender our NYS license, then just take an eye test.

For hubby it was no big deal. For me, I had to have a different birth certificate - the one that had been acceptable in NY (from the hospital, not the town, I know weird) was not acceptable up here, so I had to write to the town where I was born and have them send a certified copy of their certificate. Since I was divorced at the time and had not yet married my now-husband, I also had to show the marriage certificate from that marriage that showed the name change. When hubby and I did get married up here, then I needed another license, but only had to show the marriage certificate as proof.

Getting a new social security care with my "new" name seemed much easier than getting the license!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Powered by Foreclosure.com
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top