Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2018, 05:10 AM

238 posts, read 315,160 times

Advertisements

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/23/u...on-travel.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 07:46 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,872,864 times
My wife and I love to explore and recently took a ride through the Sandwich Notch Road.There are many side trails for hiking and some with 4wd access but we spotted what seemed to be a large clearing,barely visable through the dense trees and vegetation.There was no trail to get there so we just walked through the woods and discovered several large mountain pools surrounded by boulders and small cliffs.They may have been part of the Beede River system but it's hard to tell since there is no cell service and we couldn't consult google Earth.
Anyway,there was no sign that any person had ever even been there.No trash,no footprints in the sand,roads,trails or any sign of logging or ATV traffic.It Total peace and quiet just as it must have always been.
The pools were fairly deep in places and just for the fun of it I threw a few small flower buds in the water and immediately several trout struck the surface thinking it was food.
Wonderful experience but just thinking that if anyone had an accident or needed help, there is absolutely no one around help you and no cell phone service in those mountains so you want to be cautious and well prepared if you do any hiking away from the marked trails.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:28 AM

500 posts, read 635,563 times
Here is a quiet place I found a few months ago. I went seeking for it because I wanted to sleep under the stars with as little light pollution as possible. Nearest human was around four miles from me. I have a journal with secret spots in NH. It's nice to get out and away from everyone at times.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:03 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
The quietest place in the US that my husband and I found was in southern Oregon, by an alkaline lake. We were driving along a state road and pulled over to check out this lake. We were there for almost an hour. Not one other car or truck drove by us. Being an alkali lake, there was no wildlife around, no birds flying by. It was both beautiful and eerie there.

I just looked at a map of Oregon. We were on state highway 395 and it was Lake Abert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire