Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 08:06 AM
KCZ

4,662 posts, read 3,657,222 times

Advertisements

I would add a couple of asterisks to sb's info. Many houses here have a well and septic system. They cost very little to run once in place, but are expensive to fix if/when they fail. Between that, an older stock of homes, and few municipal services in a lot of smaller towns, you should budget a good-sized emergency fund for repairs, particularly if you aren't handy with a chainsaw, tractor, etc.

Agree with sb's comments about heating costs. I would ask the realtor to get you copies of the bills for 2-3 years of heating and electricity for any older house that you're seriously considering, so you know what you're in for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 08:27 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,281,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I would add a couple of asterisks to sb's info. Many houses here have a well and septic system. They cost very little to run once in place, but are expensive to fix if/when they fail. Between that, an older stock of homes, and few municipal services in a lot of smaller towns, you should budget a good-sized emergency fund for repairs, particularly if you aren't handy with a chainsaw, tractor, etc.

Agree with sb's comments about heating costs. I would ask the realtor to get you copies of the bills for 2-3 years of heating and electricity for any older house that you're seriously considering, so you know what you're in for.
^ Additionally, probably would want to plan on purchasing/maintaining a generator if on a well or septic system.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:51 PM

137 posts, read 218,341 times
The way I understand it is NH doesnt tax your pension, social security or withdrawls from retirement accounts,but will partially tax dividends you receive.

Old 10-19-2018, 04:29 AM

21 posts, read 25,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
^ Additionally, probably would want to plan on purchasing/maintaining a generator if on a well or septic system.

This is the plan. Coming from South Florida we learned to live with a quality generator during hurricane season. Having one in NH/Maine is very high on our list when purchasing/building a home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio1969 View Post
The way I understand it is NH doesnt tax your pension, social security or withdrawls from retirement accounts,but will partially tax dividends you receive.

I do not think they do either. Which is a huge benefit over Maine.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:03 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,404,837 times
Unfortunatley NH does tax interest and dividend income, unlike the other "no income tax" states like WA, FL, TX, WY, SD...who do NOT tax that income. It's a bummer for me as I get a lot of my income from interest and dividends.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:24 AM
KCZ

4,662 posts, read 3,657,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Unfortunatley NH does tax interest and dividend income, unlike the other "no income tax" states like WA, FL, TX, WY, SD...who do NOT tax that income. It's a bummer for me as I get a lot of my income from interest and dividends.

This tax is not retiree-friendly at all.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:13 AM

1,091 posts, read 1,055,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
This tax is not retiree-friendly at all.

That really depends on your income sources in retirement. Doing the math on it, it is not an overly painful tax.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:14 PM

21 posts, read 25,847 times
Almost none of my retirement is dividend based. Private pension (which is a set amount) and DROP account (which is only taxed as income if I draw upon it).

Old 10-20-2018, 04:19 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,977,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm136 View Post
Retiring. IF I have to work, it will be to offset health insurance costs. As far as rural/urban, we've been to NH many times (have a time share in Loon Mountain) and have looked all over. We really like Hanover (because of Dartmouth and the hospital), New Boston area, and around Concord. I also really like Littleton, but that might be to far removed for us.
If taxes are a primary concern then this little town has virtually no taxes.

LINK

Both Dartmouth-Hitchcock and Plymouth Hospital in driving distance.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:54 AM

9,873 posts, read 7,195,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
If taxes are a primary concern then this little town has virtually no taxes.

LINK

Both Dartmouth-Hitchcock and Plymouth Hospital in driving distance.
Actually, they still have taxes and have raised them since the wind farm came to town. In 2012m the rate was $11.27 and in 2017 it was $15.64 - still a reasonable amount for a NH town. Per the article you linked, they are using the windfall to create reserves and pave the town's roads. If they are fiscally astute, they will not go overboard with eliminating property taxes as their contract with the wind farm is for only 15 years and who knows what happens after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire