Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2008, 12:15 PM

141 posts, read 282,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
Hi Bevw - Well....let's see......Monday we hit a high of 9....on Tuesday we were in the 50's....yesterday in the 20-30 range, today it's in the 20's and they're predicting (depending on the source) anywhere from 6-14 inches of snow between now and tomorrow afternoon It is snowing now, very lightly and there are still bare patches under the trees.

In the 2+ years we've lived in Littleton, one thing I've learned is not to trust the weather forecasts - just wait and see what comes out of the sky A couple of times we were supposed to get 3-6 inches and got a dusting to an inch, maybe......
During Ice & Snow Torms I was wondering if Small Towns in New Hampshire had the resources to keep the roads clear?

Do you salt or just sand your roads?

Hope everyone is ok with this most recent storm!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 12:25 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
Hi Sandbar, yeah that can be a problem. The towns all have to budget for it. As I understand it was a bit tight last year with the unusual amount of snow (for lately). I think I heard that Keene may have had a budget problem and run out or low on funds. Both salting and sanding occurs, and sometimes I think it's a bit of a mix. And the state handles the highways.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:31 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbarcreek View Post
During Ice & Snow Torms I was wondering if Small Towns in New Hampshire had the resources to keep the roads clear?

Do you salt or just sand your roads?

Hope everyone is ok with this most recent storm!
Sandbar - Don't know about other areas, but my husband was out on some of the roads today and had no problems. They started sanding/clear our road last night. We live on a hill and he had no problems going up and down that either. Littleton seems to do a very good jobs with the roads....but again, I can't speak for other towns.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:20 PM

Default Weather

Quote:
Sandbar - Don't know about other areas, but my husband was out on some of the roads today and had no problems. They started sanding/clear our road last night. We live on a hill and he had no problems going up and down that either. Littleton seems to do a very good jobs with the roads....but again, I can't speak for other towns.
Looks like Little is very self sufficient and a beautiful small town and community! Also I noticed that Woodstock is near by too! Would anyone know how long the hunting seasons are for bear and deer?

Old 12-17-2008, 06:47 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,680 times
Quote:
Looks like Little is very self sufficient and a beautiful small town and community! Also I noticed that Woodstock is near by too! Would anyone know how long the hunting seasons are for bear and deer?
Seasons are determined by different areas and different hunting methods but bear season runs from Sept 1 to various days in Nov. depending on WMU.Deer season runs from Nov 1 - Dec 15 for various hunting methods (archery, black powder, rifle) ect.Nh Fish and Game has a nice website explaining any questions you have.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:05 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,962,441 times
Default LIttleton is always plowed clear

Quote:
My experience is that LIttleton has an excellent plowing schedule and even before there is an inch of snow on the ground you will see the trucks out plowing and after it stops snowing then spreading sand.

Hanover, New London to Concord are always clear as well!

Actually so far Exeter is on my list as one of the Best Big Small Towns in New Hampshire!!!

Littleton & New London are good too! But Littleton is larger and has more commerce.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:33 PM

Default Wild Boar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Seasons are determined by different areas and different hunting methods but bear season runs from Sept 1 to various days in Nov. depending on WMU.Deer season runs from Nov 1 - Dec 15 for various hunting methods (archery, black powder, rifle) ect.Nh Fish and Game has a nice website explaining any questions you have.
So I guess you do not find any Wild Boars out your way or wandering around any of the small towns? We used to hunt boar often, as we used it for food and even smoked it and sold it amongst friends. Where could we find a list of butchers for wild game in New Hampshire?

Old 12-20-2008, 05:45 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,680 times
Quote:
So I guess you do not find any Wild Boars out your way or wandering around any of the small towns? We used to hunt boar often, as we used it for food and even smoked it and sold it amongst friends. Where could we find a list of butchers for wild game in New Hampshire?
There are some wild boar up by Croydon.There was a game preserve there years ago from what i hear and the fences eventually came down and the animals went free. When i lived up in N.H. we ran a smokehouse and did a few wild boars a year. There are quite a few small meat processing shops scattered around the state. I think there is a list of butchers on the NHFG website.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:53 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,962,441 times
Default Bethlehem

Up near Bethlehem there is an outfit called the Northern Land Guide Service. So if you are new to the area and want to get a feel for what the hunting is like I personally think it would be worth your while to use their services. They do everything from big game to fishing.

New Hampshire Fly Fishing in New Hampshire Fishing NH Fly Fishing

Bethlehem and most of the White Mountain area is a great place for Field & Stream people.

N.H. License Fees and Requirements - N.H. Fish and Game

Old 12-24-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Mr Ken, I am going to forward to my husband the info you so kindly posted here! Very Valuable!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire